Who is buying these old-timey knives that don't even lock?

I don't know. Imho that's the same logic you hear from people where they say something like "I'm a safe driver, I've never had a accident so why do I need a seat belt?" There is still risk involved.
But on the flip side I would argue that a person with a slip joint usualy would be much more mindful and cautious when using a knife then a person with a lock which can be just as safe if not more safe.

The only problem is there is less and less people who know safe knife usage. Heck in my area I've heard even the Scouts are talking about removing knives from the program.

True...and that definitely makes sense, but with the driving analogy you have to take into consideration that other people may not be safe drivers. So there's a gamble trusting other people on the road. I think that slip joints are good in controlled circumstances. If I'm out on the trails with my boys and we need to make a repair on a truck that requires a knife, I'm probably gonna use something with a lock. But that circumstance is so few and far between I wouldn't only carry a locking knife because it. I have a couple in my bag for that :thumbsup:

I just half open all my locking blades anyway and use them like that to cut stuff.

I know a bunch of you do it too.

He's been a member here longer than most of us. :eek:

The number of years one has been a member here, in itself, doesn’t really mean much. I should know! :p

The single most common and popular pocketknife the world over is the tiny Victorinox Classic. And that is a little ‘lobster pattern’ pen knife nearly identical to lobster pattern knives from the 1800s.

Jim

Buck 501 was probably my favorite. It was already one of my favorite knives anyway, along with a 112, but it really did everything I needed. I'd love to see it in a slip joint version though...
Buck should bring back the 700 series! :) I think they made a 704 solitaire, but I don't know the blade length compared to the 501.
YuzqPel.jpg

Buck should bring back the 700 series! I think they made a 704 solitaire.
YuzqPel.jpg

I agree! I got one of those off the exchange not too long ago and I love it. They're little bricks :thumbsup:

I have to admit that I'm a little biased toward Buck though. I love the way the company conducts itself....

There's just something about hearing that audible "click" I find strangely satisfying. :cool:

But I did carry a Sak for over 20 years. So I do get it.

But one thing I've noticed
There is too much of a gap in prices on slip joints/Traditionals.
With your "Taticool" modern locking knife. There's something for everyone in every price range that checks off all the boxes. Well made, nice action, interesting steel.

But with modern slip joints...Well made = expensive, nice action = expensive, interesting steel = super expensive. :thumbsdown: On the other end there is a few like sak that are inexpensive and good but most I come across are the equivalent to gas station specials. You're getting charged a hefty premium for any quality.
A good example that comes to mind is the Cold Steel Ranch Boss. It's more expensive then their "tacticool" knives which are made from the same steel but way more of it, and way more parts that need machining.

Great thread! Completely agree that slipjoints have their place.

But, at least we can all agree that one-handed opening and closing knives are objectively and universally superior to their two-handed counterparts, regardless of lock type, right?

*runs away*

Being a dyed in the wool, old dude traditionalist that started carrying slipjoints in the second grade (1962), I doubt I'll change. BUT
I was recently gifted a Spyderco Sage in S30V / CF and really like the knife. I've started carrying it clipped right front with a Case 83 whittler in my watch pocket. I always laughed at people that carried two knives but I do see the utility of it. The Sage prints and carries small for its size.--KV

But, at least we can all agree that one-handed opening and closing knives are objectively and universally superior to their two-handed counterparts, regardless of lock type, right?
I don't think I agree with the universally superior comment. It is just a matter of choice and my favorite folding knives are two-handed openers.

*runs away*

I don't agree with that statement at all. For 67 of my 78 years on this rock, I've carried a slip joint with no blade lock. I still have all my fingers, and I've never been caught short for whatever cutting I had to do with a pocket knife. I've hunted, fished, camped, back packed up and down he Appalachian trail, hiked in most mountain ranges in the U.S. and the Bavarian Alps, been on eco trip in the Costa Rican rain forest, and somehow survived without a locking blade knife. If my slip joint pocket knife won't handle it, then I use a fixed blade.

For the most part, the slip joints I've carried like the three bladed stockman, two blade jack, and SAK's with multiple blades/tools, give me a degree of versatility that the single blade one hand wonder can't begin to touch. I've yet to see any one hand wonder give the versatility of three different blade shapes, with three different edge profiles, in one 3 and 7/8th inch package.

Last edited:
Need / want a lock ? No problem... Don't need a lock, no problem either...
First one, my favorite EDC / steak oriented knife (it has a lock, sort of) :
NnvmXdD.jpg

Second, my true EDC / do everything knife. No lock, but a bear trap spring. Cool ... :
4wL5cUL.jpg

And eventually, this is always in a pocket, no lock, no spring, go figure. I use it all the time...
9qEKeb0.jpg

But most of the time, I prefer this, no lock, no spring, too. Just perfect.
w6mo9gH.jpg

Yeah, who still hunts with a bolt action rifle and a double barrel shotgun?
Some think AR's are the only way to go any more. A few states don't allow them for hunting and I believe most have magazine restrictions. This is not something I pay that much attention to as I am simply not interested in using an AR for hunting with the possible exception of feral hogs. I am not overly fond of double barrel shotguns and prefer pumps. Must be that capacity thing. ;) My "deer rifle" is in fact a bolt action Remington M700 BDL. But I mostly use a big bore revolver now.

Same folks that still use a revolver for CCW.
I generally prefer a small revolver for carry. But I do have choices available to me.

I think if a person is really hung up with knife opening speed, they should seriously consider a fixed blade.

Last edited:
I use a bolt action rifle for hunting, but I own semi autos.

I use a over/under shotgun for grouse, but I have semi autos.

I carry a wheelgun, but I got me some semi autos of those too.

I carry modern locking folders, but I have slipjoints.

I'm over 40, but I been around BFC for 20 years. So I guess that's where the modern folder preference comes from.

For the most part, the slip joints I've carried like the three bladed stockman, two blade jack, and SAK's with multiple blades/tools, give me a degree of versatility that the single blade one hand wonder can't begin to touch. I've yet to see any unhand wonder give the versatility of three different blade shapes, with three different edge profiles, in one 3 and 7/8th ice package.
I guess if you actually use the spey blade to spey animals? But I think most people actually never use the extra blades. What I've noticed when I come across antique traditional knives is quite often only one blade opens and the others are seized. So to me that means the past owner even 70 years ago only used the one blade and neglected the others. The extra blades were job specific for the working man so the modern multi tool is really the next evolution for modern trades.

I don't think 24 hours constitutes abandoning a post. I have non-locking knives older than some of you youngsters (I'm well into my 4th decade) and have been perplexed by my great grandmothers hooker knife since I was 6. I'm a bit disappointed to have to tell you she wasn't a hooker, and I'll post a pic of that sleazy knife this weekend.
I accomplished exactly what I set out to do- get a whole bunch of discussion going about this particular style of knife that I honestly don't see the value of and got some great responses- many well thought out, some great points, and best of all some that literally had me laughing out loud. It's all in good fun, I promise you!
The Meme with the cat gets my tip of the hat for funniest along with the 12.5 million mistakes a year comment, but whatever some of you lack in knife taste you make up for in wit. The Hamlet post - geez, I mean blown away by that one ("..dreamt of in your philosophy...").
Any post that gets this many responses without devolving into name calling, or meanness for the sake of it, and brings a few smiles (and knowledge!) doesn't qualify as trolling. It was an honest question- maybe phrased a little too keen for some of your tastes- but an honest question nonetheless and I'm proud to support such an amazing community with my generous membership (ok THAT was trolling).
Scout's honor though, I really do respect and appreciate you guys and wish you all health and happiness throughout the New Year!

I don't think 24 hours constitutes abandoning a post. I have non-locking knives older than some of you youngsters (I'm well into my 4th decade) and have been perplexed by my great grandmothers hooker knife since I was 6. I'm a bit disappointed to have to tell you she wasn't a hooker, and I'll post a pic of that sleazy knife this weekend.
I accomplished exactly what I set out to do- get a whole bunch of discussion going about this particular style of knife that I honestly don't see the value of and got some great responses- many well thought out, some great points, and best of all some that literally had me laughing out loud. It's all in good fun, I promise you!
The Meme with the cat gets my tip of the hat for funniest along with the 12.5 million mistakes a year comment, but whatever some of you lack in knife taste you make up for in wit. The Hamlet post - geez, I mean blown away by that one ("..dreamt of in your philosophy...").
Any post that gets this many responses without devolving into name calling, or meanness for the sake of it, and brings a few smiles (and knowledge!) doesn't qualify as trolling. It was an honest question- maybe phrased a little too keen for some of your tastes- but an honest question nonetheless and I'm proud to support such an amazing community with my generous membership (ok THAT was trolling).
Scout's honor though, I really do respect and appreciate you guys and wish you all health and happiness throughout the New Year!

Wow, what a way to come back in out of nowhere with the save! Good stuff!

I have quite a few slipjoint knives that I love, carry and use! And some that are just nice to have and look it, and show.

I get it though, those who are frustrated by brand names whose quality control and sometimes, quality period, are quite frustrating. You want them to be successful, but why do so many RR knives have better fit and finish at a fraction of the price? I mean, come on, not seeking perfection, but I have paid $50-$100 for knives that were so shoddily put together that it was embarrassing - I wish they had been made in some far away land!

Back