1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Who is the Chris Reeve of flippers?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Ron Sabbagh, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Wild Bill 1

Wild Bill 1 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Olamic so far but I am still looking. WB

2. 007Airman

007Airman

Dec 23, 2018
    I have had more knives than I can count, actually I lost count at about 2,000. I sold so many on the old knife forum literally hundreds of crk, hinderer, strider, protech, Emerson, buck etc etc.
    I have thousands of pics saved on my computer and love it when I get challenged so I just go grab one. I don't troll and don't lie. crk is not that great and most modern cnc'd knives have similar/same refinement and tolerances.
    Look at that tiny thumb relief, poor design, not usable and the clip is not a great design, Dpx has the best clip of all.
    http://imgur.com/484YaYz

3. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Don't feed the Trolls Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    You can have a knife and still be a troll. My mind is made up. Enjoy your Dpx. why should I look at your photo when you’ve already proven yourself as an unreliable source? I’m sure it’s very nice though.

Also, you still didn’t back up your claim of the lack of durability in Chris Reeve Knives.

steff27, palonej and marcinek like this.
  4. brando555

brando555

Sep 26, 2018
    ZT.

For $260 you get a really nice knife. 0470, 0452, 0562... Every ZT I own is pretty damn nice.

5. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Hopefully CRK doesn't become the Sears of the knife world. Years ago this thread would be very short.

6. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    I mean, Koenig even lives in Idaho too, for god’s sake. It’s obvious, yo.

7. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    I've yet to see a production knife that compares to a Shiro, CRK included.

marchone, falar, BBW and 3 others like this.
  8. falar

falar

Jul 7, 2012
    CRK is wildly overpriced too though. 450 and up for S35VN thumbstud only knives 3.625 and under....ok.

If you can afford one you can afford the other though so at this price level buy what you like. I'm happy with my 111s but know due to there being just 1 dealer here I have to pay 350 more than the rest of the world.

For what CRK offers at their price range I just laugh and move on.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Pharmagator likes this.
  9. SeppukuSamurai

SeppukuSamurai

Aug 19, 2014
    If you're willing to wait, you can find F95s for near the same price as CRK if you're willing to accept Elmax or S30V steel. Both of which are comparable to s35vn used in the CRKs.

I'm sorry but if you're willing to spend 400+ on a CRK, just go ahead and drop the extra couple hundred on a Shiro and enjoy the excellence.

Furthermore, there are many other avenues in which you can purchase Shiro. Whether that be second hand or resellers, there are definitely deals to be had.

10. aboynamedsue

aboynamedsue Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2015
    I believe Curtiss Knives deserves an honorable mention.

JRRsix7, garciajr, Barman1 and 3 others like this.
  11. Pharmagator

Pharmagator Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Shirogorov for me... But I like most all knives... and after reading this thread... I find I have to get a Koenig...

falar, BBW and Edgeoflife like this.
  12. jceckrosh

jceckrosh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 2, 2016
    In the end it's all personal tastes.

Out of everything listed I'd have to go with the Shiro, because I don't like the aesthetics of the Arius at all. It's everything I don't like about most of what Kizer, WE, and, to a lesser degree, Reate all do. Besides the Wayfarer I don't care for Olamic's design language. So Shiro.

13. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    I haven't owned a Reate or Olamic, but I have owned a bunch of Hinderers, a Curtiss F3, Koenig Arius, Shirogorov and a handful of CRK knives.

Of the flippers I've owned the Shirogorov is the one that feels mega refined, smooth and dialed in with CRK like precision. The only other company I can mention in that category in my experience is Rockstead. (Non flipper)

Having said that, it cost a lot of money and I did need to send it in after a year of ownership for detent replacement. (Expensive)

But if you buy from recon that wouldn't be an issue.
    I was drooling over a CF F3 M390 last week on the Canadian exchange. It sold before I viewed the ad. Good thing for my wallet and my relationship with my lovely wife.

14. shunsui

shunsui Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2008
    This thread needs more pictures.

[​IMG]

metaxasm, palonej, David45 and 7 others like this.
  15. BBW

BBW Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Deal

I have had over 40 high-end knives in my life. To me CRK is about simplicity and innovation. Less is more or KISS principle.
    Thats what I see in the SHIRO. Simple yet elegant. Simple yet full of details.
    Mechanical execution is perfect IMO. Mine is on washers and THAT is the best "hydraulic feeling".
    Here is my Hati

Cheers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ChazzyP, marcus52AR, cbr1000 and 2 others like this.
  16. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    The Reate Crossroads is one of the best made Reates to date, the build quality is really up there if anyones ever handled one.

Pharmagator likes this.
  17. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig

Feb 29, 2008
    ^^ That SHIRO has a nice clean look

BBW and Pharmagator like this.
  18. Pharmagator

Pharmagator Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Shirogorov knives are sublime in their design and attention to details...

CRKs are a study in precision and quality...

But for everyday use... Spyderco Military for me...

marcus52AR and BBW like this.
  19. BBW

BBW Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Say what? @Pharmagator
    [​IMG]

20. dsd5150

dsd5150

Oct 26, 2007
    I have been consistently impressed with LionSteel as of lately. Fit and finish, attention to detail, and unique designs have been drawing me to their blades for the past year.
    And, oh yeah, M390 steel!

[​IMG]