Who is the Chris Reeve of flippers?

I would say A2 knives they are just really well made and have amazing action.

If A2 is considered "production" then I think you have a totally legitimate answer.

My Thorburn flippers are outstanding. I owned an A2 but sold it because I just didn't jive with the thick blade shape. Love my Thorburn L19s for their smaller traditional blade shape. But I agree A2 would be on par with CRK for quality. Just always considered them custom but I guess they can be considered semi-production like CRK

I thank everyone for the responses. Looks like I'm gonna be getting a Shiro just cuz I have to feel for myself. You know how that works.;-)

I'd like to try a Norseman, but I'd definitely have to send it to Josh for a regrind into a useful shape for my purposes.

From the looks it doesn’t seem to be useful for cutting food with that curved blade. It does seem useful for cutting through cardboard and used as a scrapper with that tanto like tip. Love the video of the Grimsmo bro-in-law using it to dig up dino bones. Thing took a licking over years and they spa treated it right back.

The flipper tab is smaller and rounded... Works great...

The action rivals my Shiro 95T.... and that is saying something....

It is ergonomically comfortable... but a little small for me....

Great detent and flips open with authority... High quality

The flipper tab is smaller and rounded... Works great...

The action rivals my Shiro 95T.... and that is saying something....

It is ergonomically comfortable... but a little small for me....

Great detent and flips open with authority... High quality

I had one, had to let to let it go for a couple reasons and was hoping for some info on the Gen 3...If you don't mind...Does the pocket clip still sit above the body and click against the body? Did they install a washer for the bearings to roll on or is that still bare titanium? Is the detent extremely strong to overcome to get it to flip? I found the action on the Gen 2 for closing was similar to my Shiro's but the rest of it was lacking...loved the knife and hope to get one if the above issues (to me) were fixed.

Oh one more question...do you find that it is too light? Like it maybe feels like it has been over lightened?

I'm hoping that the WE/Massdrop/Ferrum Forge will come close to a CRK with a flipper tab...

From the looks it doesn’t seem to be useful for cutting food with that curved blade. It does seem useful for cutting through cardboard and used as a scrapper with that tanto like tip. Love the video of the Grimsmo bro-in-law using it to dig up dino bones. Thing took a licking over years and they spa treated it right back.

Honestly when I look at the Norseman’s blade shape it looks to me like what it is designed for is having a great action mostly.

The blade shape puts a lot of weight near the tip so it will flip and drop well.

I mean, Koenig even lives in Idaho too, for god’s sake. It’s obvious, yo.

Ok so a Koenig Arius Model 57 appeared on my screen with the option to "add to cart"....so yeah...couldn't resist.

Thanks to everyone for recommendations. Arius will be here tomorrow. Still deciding on a Shiro model. Think I'd prefer a sub 4" blade so maybe the 95

I had one, had to let to let it go for a couple reasons and was hoping for some info on the Gen 3...If you don't mind...Does the pocket clip still sit above the body and click against the body? Did they install a washer for the bearings to roll on or is that still bare titanium? Is the detent extremely strong to overcome to get it to flip? I found the action on the Gen 2 for closing was similar to my Shiro's but the rest of it was lacking...loved the knife and hope to get one if the above issues (to me) were fixed.

Oh one more question...do you find that it is too light? Like it maybe feels like it has been over lightened?

I don't think the detent is too light or too heavy... the clip seems fine to me... and I probably won't open it up for quite a while... so no idea about the washer...

As another member put it... "I'm a knife whore... not a craftsman..." :)

I don't think the detent is too light or too heavy... the clip seems fine to me... and I probably won't open it up for quite a while... so no idea about the washer...

As another member put it... "I'm a knife whore... not a craftsman..." :)

Thanks for the info!

I'm hoping that the WE/Massdrop/Ferrum Forge will come close to a CRK with a flipper tab...

Of all the FFxMassdrop collaborations so far, the one most likely to approach CRK levels of quality is the Mordax, which is made by Pro-Tech. They’ve won the Investor/Collector award at Blade Show something like 7 times, so they know how to make a nice product. The stuff WE has made is okay, but it’s not anything I’d argue is the peak of quality.

some quick follow up....my Koenig Arius 57 arrived today and my initial impression is very positive.

It appears to be extremely well made. Fits my hand very well. Great flipping action and machining appears top notch. Blade is dead center and no play at all. Blade snaps open and drops closed as advertised. Frame lock is solid and easy to use.

I like this model because of all the subtle contrasts (polished/satin/stonewash) and textures. It is late 2018 model (newest version.)

I've been using Sebenza's for 20 years so I have a lot of further testing to do...but I want to thank the members that suggested Koenig because I'm very happy (so far). And I think that, at least on initial impression, the Arius makes a very viable "flipper" alternative to the Sebenza.

Thanks again.

After a few days with the Norseman, I must say it’s phenomenal. The tolerances are great and in my opinion better than CRK from just handling and looks. I have no hard facts or data, just my impression. I want caveat that you pay for it though as it’s more expensive than CRK. CRK is very close. Is the difference worth the cost is up to the buyer. I get some folks aren’t in love with the blade shape. I wasn’t either when I first saw them, but grew on me. More functional than i thought. Gotta say it’s a cool blade when having it in hand. That said, having a CRK sebenza 21, small/large inkosi and mnandi, I can say grimso can be a CRK of flipper in fit/finish, great tolerances, smooth action, and ability with tools included to take it down and reassemble. Where it is not a CRK is probably the style of balde, ability for spa treatment, written warranty and history.

I think one of the seperater’s is Grimsmo’s willingness to keep most of the parts inhouse to control quality. Love the little things like the norseman logo part of the pivot pin and internal milling on the slabs. I’m a sucker for the little things that potentially seperate it from others.

Ok so a Koenig Arius Model 57 appeared on my screen with the option to "add to cart"....so yeah...couldn't resist.

Thanks to everyone for recommendations. Arius will be here tomorrow. Still deciding on a Shiro model. Think I'd prefer a sub 4" blade so maybe the 95
Congratulations again on getting the Arius. Get to know it, and then see how much you feel that you're missing out not having a Shiro.

For a Shiro, I like your idea of the blade size. I found the Neon/HatiOn too small for my hand. The F95, Hati, and F3/F3R models all have the same blade size and design, with a cutting edge length of about 3.9 inches. The F3 and F3R with the carbon fiber scales over titanium liners have a thicker handle than the F95 and Hati models. My F3R's handle is slightly thicker than that of my Arius and really fills the hand well, pictured below with my Sander Barbus. It's hard to beat the contours of the Arius handle for my XL hand in a saber grip, but the F3R is probably my second most comfortable knife to hold, after the Arius. The action of my Arius is slightly better. Both have outstanding quality of construction. The Shiro has a more conservative, less polarizing aesthetic. The way they fit the pocket is similar. Both blades are outstanding in a wide variety of uses. If you don't prefer the wider handles of the F3/F3R, the F95 and Hati should be slimmer in the pocket. I think my F3R is worth its price, but that's quite a bit more than that of my Arius, and I don't think the Arius is an inferior knife. Just some of my thoughts on two great knives.

wfiOxqR.jpg

Back