Who is the Chris Reeve of flippers?

Condemn, then make blanket statements. Have a nice day.
GronK out.

Lame.

If you're either too incapable or too unreasonable to accept and differentiate our statements, it is best you move on. You'll likely just end up frustrated.

Digressions aside, my point was and is, you can't reasonably say there's no CRK of flippers. Unless we're talking literally. Instead say I have a preference for CRK and am thus bias.

Just like I wont say there isn't a Shirogorv of thumbstud deploying knives. Because there are many other companies that equally deserve their due.

Last edited:
I'm curious to see how the Cheburkov Scout compares to the Umnumzaan/CRK. To me the Scouts seem like they compare well to the Sebenzas, simple construction, utilitarian designs, similar materials.

I'm curious to see how the Cheburkov Scout compares to the Umnumzaan/CRK. To me the Scouts seem like they compare well to the Sebenzas, simple construction, utilitarian designs, similar materials.
Well,there is more than design,construction,materials when comparing two knives.Tolerances,fit and finish, fit in hand, blade length,ease of maintenance,durability,price....

Cheburkov look nice but CRK will be tough to level in my opinion.Cheers.

I'm on the hunt for a Scout. When the right one comes around, I'll snag it.

Very curious yo see how it compares to a couple of my favorites.

That's fine. Blanket statements, not so much.

I can tell you that every Shirogorov I've ever had has been absolutely flawless. Razor sharp, even edge, early lock up, no play, stellar action. All perfect. On top of that, comparatively speaking, Shirogorovs are more complex knives. Abundant internal milling, multiple modern innovations such has inserts and bearings.

I feel that the qualities synonymous with CRKs are equally synonymous with Shirogorovs. Give or take. Same can be said about Koenig.

Definitely some rock solid incredible knives that also flip out there. Ones with unbelievable attention to detail.

But you're right, Chris Reeve doesn't make flippers. Luckily, many equally good companies do.
Agree that Shiros are great as well as few others and comparable with CRK but really bothers me with Shirogorov unnecessary lock bar insert, bearings and scale screw, pivot design.Had Hati on washers and 95T on bearings and there was no difference at all in action.Lockbar insert is extra part which CRK does not need due to tight tolerances and it's proven that works perfectly.For something different we have Inkosi and Zaan with ceramic ball.And those Shiro's screws are prone to damage very easily when disassembling.

Agree that Shiros are great as well as few others and comparable with CRK but really bothers me with Shirogorov unnecessary lock bar insert, bearings and scale screw, pivot design.Had Hati on washers and 95T on bearings and there was no difference at all in action.Lockbar insert is extra part which CRK does not need due to tight tolerances and it's proven that works perfectly.For something different we have Inkosi and Zaan with ceramic ball.And those Shiro's screws are prone to damage very easily when disassembling.

You may call it unnecessary, but I call the lock bar insert a must. Soft titanium vs heat treated steel x tens of thousands of actuations.....regardless of work hardening or anything else....wear is going to occur. When that wear does occur, I would much prefer swapping an insert over replacing a scale.

There are so many credible makers employing this ingenuity that there really cannot be a debate as to the relevance of the innovation. I mean, unless Shirogorov, Hinderer, Sharp by Design, Olamic, Reate, Koenig...You get it....are all just riding the hype....and have been riding for over a decade.

CRK is not immune to material realities, after all.

As for Shiro's screws, they aren't prone to damage so long as you use an appropriate bit with appropriate tolerances. Even if you dont, due to the robust size and depth of the screws, they'll remain serviceable regardless of marring. Unlike many torx pivots.

My Shiro, that I've carried for a little over a month now, has been taken down with a bit, a penny, and my swiss army knife. Just for fun. That's awesome, being able to adjust my knife with my multi tool. Both of which I am almost never without.

The Shiro screws statement is as true and as relevant as the CRK finish showing wear more easily.

Regardless, I believe my sentiment remains in tact. I will admit that it's very probable that a strictly bronze washer maker is able to create a more repeatable product than a maker maker that employs many opening interface modalities. How relevant is that when were talking about top tier level products? In my opinion, not super.

YMMV.

I've handled a Shiro 111 CF. That thing is awesome. Not $1k awesome, but made the way I like it. I'm sliding more towards better made liner locks due to not having to worry how much finger pressure determines blade function. Unless they chamfer the detent pocket. (Artisian tradition: that's another story). The 111: mrbs, liner lock, CF, M390, flat grind, F&F, ergos...checking alot of boxes.

One caveat? That thing is HUGE. (Artisian Tradition large, same size.) I like a 3"-3.5" blade, at 4.25" you have to think about your circumference path of your folder, it's a big deal.

Now a 3.5" 111...that would be one of my "grails".

I've owned two Strisch folders by Cherburkov and while they are well made with premium materials (and for a reasonable $), they are not on the same level as CRK in terms of machining tolerances or fit & finish. I haven't handled a Scout model however, so maybe those are executed to a more refined degree.

I've owned two Strisch folders by Cherburkov and while they are well made with premium materials (and for a reasonable $), they are not on the same level as CRK in terms of machining tolerances or fit & finish. I haven't handled a Scout model however, so maybe those are executed to a more refined degree.

I've always looked at the Cherbs as budget Shiros. So hopefully I get my moneys worth at least. :D For a change I hate that it's a Holiday Weekend here, otherwise it might have arrived tomorrow already. Now Wednesday is the best bet. :oops:

I haven’t owned all of the knives mentioned in this thread but had most on a short list before buying a Shiro that came up first. I think of my Shirogorov F3 as being like a Rolex Submariner. It’s simple, solid, robust, works well, fit and finish is flawless, and is expensive.

I’m on wait list for a CRK Impinda slipjoint. Whether or not I buy it, the jury is still out on. I already have more folders than I can use.

You may call it unnecessary, but I call the lock bar insert a must. Soft titanium vs heat treated steel x tens of thousands of actuations.....regardless of work hardening or anything else....wear is going to occur. When that wear does occur, I would much prefer swapping an insert over replacing a scale.

There are so many credible makers employing this ingenuity that there really cannot be a debate as to the relevance of the innovation. I mean, unless Shirogorov, Hinderer, Sharp by Design, Olamic, Reate, Koenig...You get it....are all just riding the hype....and have been riding for over a decade.

CRK is not immune to material realities, after all.

As for Shiro's screws, they aren't prone to damage so long as you use an appropriate bit with appropriate tolerances. Even if you dont, due to the robust size and depth of the screws, they'll remain serviceable regardless of marring. Unlike many torx pivots.

My Shiro, that I've carried for a little over a month now, has been taken down with a bit, a penny, and my swiss army knife. Just for fun. That's awesome, being able to adjust my knife with my multi tool. Both of which I am almost never without.

The Shiro screws statement is as true and as relevant as the CRK finish showing wear more easily.

Regardless, I believe my sentiment remains in tact. I will admit that it's very probable that a strictly bronze washer maker is able to create a more repeatable product than a maker maker that employs many opening interface modalities. How relevant is that when were talking about top tier level products? In my opinion, not super.

YMMV.
Just wanted to reply about lock bar insert, you saying is a must but yet I do not see CRK going for for it in the near future.It is known that some people had to send knives back to CRK for scale replacement but we are talking about single knife usage for 12-15 years.Now,how many of us have only one knife to use for so many years.I agree with some of your other points but as much as I like some new modern knives with all kinds of advanced features I still prefer simplicity, old school and reliability of CRK.Cheers.

Lame.

If you're either too incapable or too unreasonable to accept and differentiate our statements, it is best you move on. You'll likely just end up frustrated.

Digressions aside, my point was and is, you can't reasonably say there's no CRK of flippers. Unless we're talking literally. Instead say I have a preference for CRK and am thus bias.

Just like I wont say there isn't a Shirogorv of thumbstud deploying knives. Because there are many other companies that equally deserve their due.
This entire thread is based on the fact the CRK is the standard against which all others are measured. That pretty much says it all. I said, "GronK out", so will say it just one more time. GronK Out! Your style tells me you are not capable of not having the last word so go ahead. Be my guest.

This entire thread is based on the fact the CRK is the standard against which all others are measured. That pretty much says it all. I said, "GronK out", so will say it just one more time. GronK Out! Your style tells me you are not capable of not having the last word so go ahead. Be my guest.

Your reading comprehension is lacking here. Go reread the original post, as you need a refresher.

The original poster states he is a fan of CRK and appreciates their qualities and would like something comparable in a flipping knife.

Not "it is a fact that CRK is the standard in which all others are measured."

Yikes.

Just wanted to reply about lock bar insert, you saying is a must but yet I do not see CRK going for for it in the near future.It is known that some people had to send knives back to CRK for scale replacement but we are talking about single knife usage for 12-15 years.Now,how many of us have only one knife to use for so many years.I agree with some of your other points but as much as I like some new modern knives with all kinds of advanced features I still prefer simplicity, old school and reliability of CRK.Cheers.

CRK actually has used an alternative solution that does something similar to a steel lockbar insert for a very long time.

CRKs like the Sebenza that do not have a ceramic ball lockface actually use a carburized lockface. This carburization of the lockbar lockface prevents wear in a similar way the steel lockbar tab does.

So if anything CRK has known about the wear problems from plain ti hitting the steel tang lockface for long before steel lockbar inserts were in style.

That’s the same reason they invented the ceramic bb lockface.

I don't think CRK will go for it either but who knows. They've got the ceramic interface in the Umnum, which makes me think they at least see some value in the idea but like you said.

For CRK it might not be a good move, anyway. Like you said, the percentage rate of people that actually wear out a lock bar is very very low. That look you expect when you think CRK would be tainted by a lock screw, for sure. Unless they installed in my from inside out, of course...;)

Last edited:
Curtiss for me was love at first sight. The action & feeling of the knife deploy is like no other with his SPOT pivot. It feels truely like a bank vault when it deploys. One of my favorite knives to date.

Shiro is up there but I just can't justify the price for a production flipper...some of them are really getting out of control. For around $600-750 sure.... some of them are in the 1200s though which honestly makes no sense for a production know.

I think I got one of the best looking ones!

CT8ejTz.jpg

0GKLKKB.png

CcDtl8u.jpg

I have many CRKs and love them, and like the OP searched for a flipper with similar characteristics. Ended up with an Enrique Pena custom Rhino and have greatly enjoyed it. Fantastic build quality and F and F, and priced at the Sebenza with inlay and Damascus level. Highly recommended.
IP5bl2f.jpg
QywvQdF.jpg
i0lSNuF.jpg

Shirogorovs are up there in terms of quality but I personally think more than of half of them are grossly overpriced for pure production knives.

Best bang for your buck would be ZTs (If you're on a budget), I think they make a better Hinderer flipper than Hinderer themselves. Curtiss is probably one of my all times favorite, the feeling of the deployment is like no other (mainly due to the giant SPOT pivot/blade stop he uses)

Back