Who is your favorite Kami?

I'm a Tamar? fan myself. I like his traditional look and attention to detail. I have several favorites though, actually none I don't like.

Of the currently active kamis, I would list Kumar, Purna and Ram Kumar as my favorites. However, all HI kamis do great work.

Kumar ranks with the "old masters" in quality, and he does a wide variety of models.

Purna is a perfectionist. His knives are always perfectly balanced, feel lighter in the hand than their scale weight, and have superb fit and finish.

Ram Kumar is newer to HI, but his work is excellent and he is very creative with new and modified designs.

As for favorite blade, that would be difficult. Earlier this year I acquired a strange blade made by Rajkumar kami, who is no longer with HI. I'm not sure when it was made, but my notes say March of 2011. It's called the "Shiva Knife." From Yangdu's description:

Our new Kami Rajkumar, Prince, has created a beautiful knife for you based on a legendary knife used during the ancient times of the 2nd Buddha Guru Rimpoche. As the legend has it, this beautiful knife was used by the gods for fighting evil spirits.​

I find it hard to imagine the degree of skill that it took to forge this complex blade:

ShivaKnife15.5in-Rajkumar20oz-March2011-01.jpg

I don't think Purna is currently active with HI, he might make some now and then for them. Bhakta is about the same, he seems to be back now pretty regular but was hit and miss for awhile.
Rajkumar (prince) was truly gifted but is now long gone and most likely will not return.

I'm a Kumar fan. As it turns out, my first HI khuk was by him. The knife I used to cut my wedding cake was made by him. My falcata (my grail sword) was made by him. Actually so are two of my katanas.

Having followed his work for nearly 20 years, he has only gotten better at his craft. Blasphemous as it may be to say, I find his current work above pretty much all of my Bura pieces. This is no knock against the late master. Kumar simply has gotten that good.

He's the king of fine yet tough edges. His knives will both cut and slice and can be made readily sharp and less hatchet-like.

All in all I’ve got to agree with Steely....Kumar! My katanas, Giant AKB’s, my 25-30” blades, my Tibetan sword doth short and long, YCS’s...too many to name.. Farm Knives are superb! Ram Kumar is close. These are “active” kamis!

Last edited:
Hmm. Sher always made a strong blade; Kumar, a pretty one. Bura, the reference blade!

But I'll vote Kumar.

AA

Thank you all for your thoughts!

Bhakta has suddenly impressed me very much!

But from what I can tell Kumar is THE MAN!!!

I will know more very shortly!

As a Smith and maker, everything coming out of HI is a higher quality than I expected!

Well done HI!!!

I suppose if a man was a true connoisseur, he would try to own a single specific style from each Kami. That way the work could be compared against each other.

But for me, I have a Kumar Karda with an 8 inch blade, that is nearly 20 years old...it is so clean, and solid. Now I have a 25" Sirupati with bamboo root handle that was a DOTD recently. Kumar has come so far in his work. The basics are dead on, as usual. The rest is very very good!

I have also been introduced to the work of Bhakta, and am unusually impressed!

HI has truly evolved.

Hard to say who is my favorite. If I had to pick I would say Ram Kumar. That could be because I have had so many of his knives. Kumar's tend to be the most beautifully finished. Some of my Vin and Lachu knives are bombproof. Super thick. Invincible. My Bura blade has the most spirit. That thing is alive. I have a Nabin Rai blade that is like a big knife in a small knife's body. It out chops other knives in a heavier weight class. Love that thing. All that being said, most of my "magical" knives that seem like they were made just for me were made by Ram Kumar. Don't get me wrong, all the kamis are pretty awesome. Anil and Bhatka are really impressing me too.

Back