Who likes Drop Point Hunters?

sceva

Gold Member
I like to show this off every once in a while.

It is a Geno Denning ; Caveman Engineering Drop point. Mr Denning studied under George Herron and his knives followed the Herron designs closely. This one is a small version of his GM model which came to be called the MiniGM. In fact; This is the first MiniGM that Geno Made and I believe the first Knife Geno marked Prototype. I believe that Geno Denning is no longer actively making knives but if you run across one they are well worth having. The man is an artist.

Mini GM 8.jpg Mini GM 4.jpg

How Small is it? Here it is with an AG Russell Gents Lockback

Mini GM 11.jpg

In perspective with a full Size Denning GM model and the larger Denning Caribou

Caribou- GM- Mini GM.jpg Mini GM-GM-Caribou.jpg

I hope you enjoyed looking as much as I like showing you these

For hunting, I won't use anything but a drop point. I really like that style. I use a Cold Steel Master Hunter, and a slightly smaller knife that my uncle made for me, using a pre-made blade that he "handled" with rosewood. I don't have pics of either one right now, but can take some and add them later.... you have some really nice knives there....

I got a new one from Gerry Drew this year that I plan to take deer hunting in a couple weeks. Ladder Damascus and black oak @ 7¾".

P9wLdJz.jpg

Another one from L.T. Wright in 3V and micarta @ 6½".

zyUu8kp.jpg

I've been looking for a 7" OAL Loveless-style Drop Hunter for about a month now. Lots and lots of beauties out there, but I haven't found the right one yet.

It is a Geno Denning ; Caveman Engineering Drop point. Mr Denning studied under George Herron and his knives followed the Herron designs closely. This one is a small version of his GM model which came to be called the MiniGM. In fact; This is the first MiniGM that Geno Made and I believe the first Knife Geno marked Prototype. I believe that Geno Denning is no longer actively making knives but if you run across one they are well worth having. The man is an artist.

View attachment 1230297 View attachment 1230298

View attachment 1230299

View attachment 1230300 View attachment 1230301

sceva, you have some very nice knives, thanks for showing them.
I like the look of the drop point, never used one in all my years of hunting. I guess habit. I started out with a Buck 118 and even though I have bought drop points with the intention of using them when I start field dressing I reach for the 118. That said here are a few of the drop points I've purchased with the intent of using.
The culprit, Buck 118
DSC_0183.JPG

The Kershaw 1030
DSC_0052.JPG

The Buck 192
003.JPG

Randall Model 25, top one
001.JPG

PJSJR said "I started out with a Buck 118 and even though I have bought drop points with the intention of using them when I start field dressing I reach for the 118. "

Oh yes, The Buck 118 personal; One was my first really good knife. My daughter liked it and that one now resides with her

I got a new one from Gerry Drew this year that I plan to take deer hunting in a couple weeks. Ladder Damascus and black oak @ 7¾".

P9wLdJz.jpg

zyUu8kp.jpg
Like that Frontier Valley in 3v. I have been trying to find one in 3v for sometime now but all that is out there is A2 and O1.It looks like a nice safe knife for field dressing.

I prefer drop points. It’s my favorite knife shape to use. I skin light fare in my yard - for my dogs - with my GEC Bullnose. A Busse Dog Soldier 8 is my everyday yard knife and it sees the most action.

I look forward to seeing more replies.

P9wLdJz.jpg

zyUu8kp.jpg
Both great looking knives, Jeff!! Either aught to serve you well!:cool::thumbsup:
sceva, you have some very nice knives, thanks for showing them.
I like the look of the drop point, never used one in all my years of hunting. I guess habit. I started out with a Buck 118 and even though I have bought drop points with the intention of using them when I start field dressing I reach for the 118. That said here are a few of the drop points I've purchased with the intent of using.
The culprit, Buck 118
DSC_0183.JPG

The Kershaw 1030
DSC_0052.JPG

The Buck 192
003.JPG

Randall Model 25, top one
001.JPG
Awsome group, Preston!:eek::thumbsup: And great photos as well!:)

A couple of Redmedows ready to go, a fine BF maker @lessismore :cool::thumbsup: he does great work!
pair9.jpg

View attachment 1230297 View attachment 1230298

View attachment 1230299

View attachment 1230300 View attachment 1230301

Fine selection of drop points to choose from!:eek::thumbsup:
A Blackjack, Redmedows, and a Hess.
20180317_123659.jpg

Back