Who likes the new Fred Perrin PPT?

Just saw it today, and I think I'm in love. Sculpted G-10, funky but functional looking flat-ground CPM-S30V blade, low-ride clip, inlaid frame lock... Wow.

C135PPT_M.jpg

Can't wait for these to start shipping!

two reasons why i wont get one

-Taiwan made, i prefer USA.
-it is heavy (5.3 oz)

but besides that is looks nice.

I really like the design. The wallet is a little light lately, but I will be getting one soon!

Wow, thats an expenseive knife for being made in Taiwan. I really like Fred Perrin's stuff but I'm not really too excited about this one.

I don´t care if the knife is made in Sweden, USA or on the rings of Saturn...If I like it (and have some money to spend) I will get it. This one is not going in to my collection
Just my $ 0.02.

Wow, thats an expenseive knife for being made in Taiwan. I really like Fred Perrin's stuff but I'm not really too excited about this one.

Meh, remember the MSRP on the Native IV is $259.95.

I bought my last Native IV for $80.00.

I'm assuming the framelock is steel, based on weight and the fact that they don't mention "Ti Framelock" anywhere in the writeup.

And I'm just happy to see sculpted G10 on a production model!

Way too lefty hostile for me. Can't see why Spyderco even bothers to put a reversible clip on a knife with a handed lock where the Spyderhole is only 50% exposed for left handed use.

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twisted up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

Not for me. I'm sure the quality is there. As for MSRP, it seems in line with other Taiwan made knives--Chokwe, Bradley, Bob T., Sage. For that kind of money, I'd just rather buy something made "here."

Earlier I thought I'd get this one but now I think I'll pass. I really don't like low-ride clips. I'll wait until some people get them and post better pics.

I will definitely need to handle this one before buying (if I do). Just not lefty friendly enough. If it fails me then it's Manix2 for me.

When I first saw photos of it I wasn't interested but the more I see it the more it's growing on me.

LOVE the design and frame lock. But, man it's just too darned heavy for such a small knife. Might change my mind if I get to handle one.

two reasons why i wont get one

-Taiwan made, i prefer USA.
-it is heavy (5.3 oz)

but besides that is looks nice.

-different letters on the side of the blade, you prefer the one with three

-Heavy weight category, Gayle Bradley like

The weight might be a good point, but prefering US made just because of the name? Sal has said it himself, there aren't monetary savings from making knives in Taiwan, they are made there because they churn out nice and thick butter like the Sage, Gayle Bradley and Perrin PPT will be no different in terms of quality!
Go ahead and save me a spot for Taiwanese made knives, I have no problem with what they put on the side of the blade
;)

I've had nothing but good experiences with Taiwan made knives.

However I won't be grabbing this one due to the weight. My Manix 2 sprint run weighs less than this.

I like the scales and don't mind the weight, I have the Gayle Bradley also...there is jimping pretty far up towards the tip, making for an interesting choke up mode...

Weight never really bothered me, but I have found that 5oz+ does tend to go a bit too noticed. I am interested, but would like to see some reviews first.

Like the blade shape due to the extremely subtle sweep of the blade. Makes for easier sharpening.

The weight might be a good point, but prefering US made just because of the name? Sal has said it himself, there aren't monetary savings from making knives in Taiwan, they are made there because they churn out nice and thick butter like the Sage, Gayle Bradley and Perrin PPT will be no different in terms of quality!

Sal said there isn't much of a savings with Taiwan manufacturers. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663876&highlight=taiwan+jurisprudence

I fail to see the reason for the selection of Taiwan, if not for cost, other than if the Golden, CO and Japan facilities were at maximum production. Right, wrong or indifferent, there is a stigma to certain products made in Taiwan. Given the stigma, I can't see a reason to select them if not cost.

How about the Bushcraft, Cat, and Chicago as Spyderco knives out of Taiwan for you guys saying no reason for concern over Taiwan manufacturers?

Spyderco selected the manufacturer (let's assume what has been said is true - based on quality of manufacturing), so they have some skin in the game with respect to how those knives turned out. In the thread announcing that the Cat's and Chicago's would not produced, there were apologies to Spydero. Really, I just do not get that. How about customers that wanted those knives.

Let the flames start.

I have to say, that in spite of the above concerns, Spyderco is my favorite manufacturer. My observations are just that, my thoughts on the matter.

Sal said there isn't much of a savings with Taiwan manufacturers. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663876&highlight=taiwan+jurisprudence

I fail to see the reason for the selection of Taiwan, if not for cost, other than if the Golden, CO and Japan facilities were at maximum production. Right, wrong or indifferent, there is a stigma to certain products made in Taiwan. Given the stigma, I can't see a reason to select them if not cost.

How about the Bushcraft, Cat, and Chicago as Spyderco knives out of Taiwan for you guys saying no reason for concern over Taiwan manufacturers?

Spyderco selected the manufacturer (let's assume what has been said is true - based on quality of manufacturing), so they have some skin in the game with respect to how those knives turned out. In the thread announcing that the Cat's and Chicago's would not produced, there were apologies to Spydero. Really, I just do not get that. How about customers that wanted those knives.

Let the flames start.

I have to say, that in spite of the above concerns, Spyderco is my favorite manufacturer. My observations are just that, my thoughts on the matter.

What is your point? Cat and Chicago were budget knives--the high-end Taiwan knives including the Bushcraft are of excellent quality. The problem with the Bushcraft was with US supplied handle scales, not with the Taiwan ground blade.

I don't want any knives from Taiwan for philosophical reasons. I prefer knives from USA for philosophical and economic reasons. I haven't heard anyone on this forum doubt Taiwan quality as a general matter. I don't think the "stigma" argument holds a drop of water. I wish it did, I think that the US economy would be in much better shape. Believe it or not, there are people, like me, who don't base all of their decisions on short term self-interest--getting a less expensive product now.

As for why Spyderco might choose to make knives in Taiwan? I don't know, perhaps it is better to have more than a horse or two in the stable? Spyderco has always tried to source from a variety of manufacturers. To my limited knowledge, Spyderco has sourced from at least: US, Japan, Germany, France, Switzerland, Italy, Taiwan and China. Every manufacturing relationship is a collaboration of sorts, and something different pops up out of every relationship. Spyderco's business model looks largely innovation based to me. Collaborations result in innovations. That alone may be reason to source out of Taiwan.
In addition, given currency fluctuations, it makes sense to have working relationships with a portfolio of manufacturers so that production can be sourced to take advantage of-- or at least minimize disadvantages of bad-- exchange rates.

Back