Who likes the new Fred Perrin PPT?

Looks like it would take up way more real estate in the pocket than a knife this size should...

Looks like it would take up way more real estate in the pocket than a knife this size should...

Nice Icon!! Is suspect that for SD purposes, once "critical" blade length is met, the purpose of the the "oversized" handle is to provide for super secure grip.

I'll have the chance to handle one this Friday. If I like it, I'll get it and post some pics this weekend

From the pics and the weight I thought I wouldn't get one. However, the quality is superb, if feels hefty but not heavy, it carries very well with the deep pocket clip and the lanyard works great to pull it out, the carved G10 is smooth and will not destroy the pocket, and (like most Spydies, at least to me) you have to handle it to fully appreciate the design. Love at first touch, if not af first sight. In summary, after having one in my hand and in the pocket, I had to get it. Ordered yesterday.

Sal said there isn't much of a savings with Taiwan manufacturers. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663876&highlight=taiwan+jurisprudence

I fail to see the reason for the selection of Taiwan, if not for cost, other than if the Golden, CO and Japan facilities were at maximum production. Right, wrong or indifferent, there is a stigma to certain products made in Taiwan. Given the stigma, I can't see a reason to select them if not cost.

How about the Bushcraft, Cat, and Chicago as Spyderco knives out of Taiwan for you guys saying no reason for concern over Taiwan manufacturers?

Spyderco selected the manufacturer (let's assume what has been said is true - based on quality of manufacturing), so they have some skin in the game with respect to how those knives turned out. In the thread announcing that the Cat's and Chicago's would not produced, there were apologies to Spydero. Really, I just do not get that. How about customers that wanted those knives.

Let the flames start.

I have to say, that in spite of the above concerns, Spyderco is my favorite manufacturer. My observations are just that, my thoughts on the matter.

"Much" is the key word. I suspect there is still some savings that add up or they wouldn't do it. Every little bit adds up.

I have no concerns for Taiwan or China made anymore. Fact is if it bothers folks to see all this stuff coming from Taiwan and China they need to take it up with those in American companies that contracted the work there in the first place and not the knives or the workers building them. They took a job that was offered. Can't hold that against them.

Anymore it doesn't mean when you buy Made in the USA that its necessarily going to be better. In fact many times these days for me the opposite has been true with USA made knives bought for more $ because several have been disappointing purchases. I started to go on but don't get me started. $600 for one Made in the USA the manufacturer says is fine and my $26 Spyderco Tenacious made in China blows it away across the board for fit and finish, flawless materials and workmanship. Go figure.
STR

I love the way it looks but the weight and the clip have me thinking twice. If it only had the wire clip I might be swayed more easily.

I've had a couple on pre-order for a while now. I like how it looks - I have to feel it to know it though. I don't hoard for profit. I tend to buy two of any new knife I think I will like in case I really do like it. I then have a BUK.

I'll probably pick one up at some point. The weight's throwing me off a bit, but I'm digging the handle and blade.

Definitely an interesting design. I’ve been meaning to stop by SFO and check it out.

That’s good to hear that the scales aren’t too rough. I was afraid that the handle could really chew up your pockets.

Case in point, the Cat and Chicago. Irrespective of the price point, the two were unable to be brought to market and completely discontinued.

Huh...I missed that completely. I must be spending too much time on the Cast Boolits forum.

Was there a thread? Nevermind: I found it.

Last edited:
I think that's the "T" in PPT.

Hello,
I'm sacha THIEL.Effectively, The 'T' means THIEL.:)
I'm always making custom PPT even if the spyderco PPT is really great.
They exactly reproduced the protos I first made, also the G10 textured scales..........Amazing
Bellow the 2 first PPT . one for Fred Perrin the second For Philippe Perotti.

2.jpg

You'll find some pics of my work in my web page : www.sthiel.fr
I'm now thinking about IKBS folding knives.
Regards.

Last edited:
my freinds Fred and Philippe also asked me to build some trainer PPT.
Don't know if spyderco is going to produced them one day....

trainerPPT.JPG

Mine came in today. It's absolutely fantastic. Flawless fit & finish. I don't mind the extra weight. Lanyard is a nice touch. Scales are pretty cool... don't look like they'll chew up my pocket. Feels great in my hand. I'm very satisfied.

Last edited:
Looks beautiful. But it cannot reverse a pocket clip for left handed?? OMG...

you're right !
It's possible to build a whole reverse PPT for lefties... easy for custom knife maker, not really for spyderco.

A couple questions for those that have the PPT and Gayle Bradley:
Is the liner (at the cutout) the same thickness, greater or less than the Gayle Bradley?
Is the liner springiness the same, stronger or weaker than the Gayle Bradley?
Thanks!

C135PPT_M.jpg

Can't wait for these to start shipping!

They are on ebay already. I like the photos. Love to handle the knife. Y'all keep us posted.

A little on the pricey side for me at the moment, but I really like what I see. Anybody weighed one as received? It doesn't really look big enough to weigh over 4-1/4 oz to me. If it has a lot of steel in the frame/handle I guess that could push it up there. I am definitely going to put one in my hand if I can find it in the flesh. My kids have grown up and moved out so I can't sell one of them and my laborador retreiver has a bad hip from an automobile encounter, so that's out too. I guess I need to start scratching up some stuff for the flea market table...

Someone back in the thread was comparing it to a Benchmade something, but I think it is most like Benchmade's Onslaught than any of their other knives. It isn't a copy for sure, but it has similar styling in my mind. It seems to be significantly smaller and lighter than the Benchmade though.

EJ

Last edited:
Hello,
I'm sacha THIEL.Effectively, The 'T' means THIEL.:)
I'm always making custom PPT even if the spyderco PPT is really great.
They exactly reproduced the protos I first made, also the G10 textured scales..........Amazing
Bellow the 2 first PPT . one for Fred Perrin the second For Philippe Perotti.

2.jpg

You'll find some pics of my work in my web page : www.sthiel.fr
I'm now thinking about IKBS folding knives.
Regards.

Very nice work Sacha, thanks.

Back