Who made those handle scales with carbon fiber and a wire weave?

I am working on a custom/mod'd cleaver. I remember seeing a handle scale maker here that did custom knife handle scales with a copper wire weave inside with carbon fiber or some other material. Who was this again? I know kryptoglow did the glow scales aswell. Is he still around? I can't find him on the forums at all. I even searched his name..
Thanks for the help
-Zemapeli

Might do a Google search on 'lightning strike carbon fiber'.

The c/f material has a copper/bronze threading woven into it. In searching on that myself, there seem to be a lot of customs done with it, by many makers. I don't know if the material itself is all from one source; but searching on that string might get you on the path to finding it.

David

There are so many makers that use the lightening strike carbon fiber with different materials inside it.

You have to be more specific.

The original lightning strike carbon fiber with bronze wire (for the aerospace industry) is made by numerous composite manufacturers, should be easy to find a source for small quantities online.

Lscf makes zero sense to me, carbon fiber is extremely conductive on its own. Unless the metal wire is embedded on top of the resin (which I don't believe I've ever seen) its literally adding nothing (i.e. not lowering the resistance any).

Beautiful; yes. Necessary (even in the aerospace industry); it is not.

Note they also make "lightning strike Kevlar*" micarta too which is just as pretty and not black (I'm not yet sick of black knives but do enjoy handle color options)

*note lightning strike Kevlar actually would serve a purpose since Kevlar fibers don't conduct however even regular (non metal embedded) carbon fiber conducts better than Cu embedded Kevlar so that material really is just for beauty.

Lscf makes zero sense to me, carbon fiber is extremely conductive on its own. Unless the metal wire is embedded on top of the resin (which I don't believe I've ever seen) its literally adding nothing (i.e. not lowering the resistance any).

Beautiful; yes. Necessary (even in the aerospace industry); it is not.

Note they also make "lightning strike Kevlar*" micarta too which is just as pretty and not black (I'm not yet sick of black knives but do enjoy handle color options)

*note lightning strike Kevlar actually would serve a purpose since Kevlar fibers don't conduct however even regular (non metal embedded) carbon fiber conducts better than Cu embedded Kevlar so that material really is just for beauty.

Carbon is conductive, true. But it's not very efficient at it. It dissipates the electrical energy as heat (heat = watts, in electrical terms), which is what eventually destroys it. In electrical applications, carbon is used to make some types of resistors, which, as implied in the name, are made to resist the flow of electrical current, thereby limiting current in a measured and by-design manner. In doing so, they heat up. How much heat it can handle is determined by the resistor's rated wattage. So long as the electrical circuit is operating within it's normal limits of voltage and current (watts = volts X amps), the dissipated heat is harmless to the resistor. But, if the resistors take more current than they're designed to safely handle (such as that from a lightning strike or other power surge), the excess dissipated heat will destroy them.

Metal is a better (more efficient) conductor of electricity than is carbon, meaning there's very little resistance to current flow, in a metal conductor. That means it can handle more current while generating less dissipated heat. A metal filament running through carbon (fiber) material is there to bypass that resistance of the carbon material, which at least reduces the likelihood of it burning up, as electricity always will take the path of (literally) the least resistance.

Edited to add:
It'll also help divert current flow away from the other critical metal parts of an aircraft, which might be damaged/melted/welded by a lightning strike, if they were otherwise the least-resistive path to take.

David

Last edited:
Just speculating but I think the wire mesh is to stop RF radiation using lightweight carbon fiber
for military aircraft.

My problem with lightening strike cf is that it's not for a user because the cable will spring out from the cf and cut or poke your hands up. It's easy to sand down with some sand paper but just annoying unless the maker puts a layer of clear coat over it to prevent that. It does look nice tho. I do prefer regular cf tho.

My problem with lightening strike cf is that it's not for a user because the cable will spring out from the cf and cut or poke your hands up. It's easy to sand down with some sand paper but just annoying unless the maker puts a layer of clear coat over it to prevent that. It does look nice tho. I do prefer regular cf tho.

A couple of custom makers use a thin layer of super glue.

Reactions: Mo2
Back