1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Who makes fixed blades with stag?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by J_mcrane, Aug 18, 2019.

1. J_mcrane

J_mcrane

Dec 7, 2013
    Hello BF,

I’m looking for my next “last knife”. I’m searching for a fixed blade with stag handles. I’ve searched the usual online places. But, other than Grohmann and Bark river, who else does production runs using stag? I’m hunting a respectable blade over 3.5 and under 5.75. Nothing specific other than tickles my fancy.

Thoughts?

2. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Spend some time in our custom makers forum. Careful spending too much time there...you might find several of your last knife.

https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/for-sale-fixed-blades.754/

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Currawong likes this.
  3. JDRanger

JDRanger Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2017
    Bear and Sons

TheEdge01 likes this.
  4. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    Silver Stag Knives are worth a look.

cbach8tw likes this.
  5. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Randall does.

2D015371-C462-4676-8EF2-65D246338966.jpeg

The smaller model 21 Little Game I got for getting my Journeyman license the model 19 Bushmaster was my reward for getting my Masters.

Bought a year apart. And look like a matching set.

6. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    Buck

7. eveled

Mar 11, 2016
    Buck makes some 807E45C4-462C-4F56-8D98-447626D32035.jpeg

cbach8tw likes this.
  8. eveled

Mar 11, 2016
    Crown stag Buck 119 38B69451-AB09-43B5-A1E1-9CCEF1BA3A46.jpeg

Gary W. Graley and TheEdge01 like this.
  9. eveled

Mar 11, 2016
    The trouble with Buck. Is sometimes they say Sambar Stag, Stag, Elk, or Elk Stag. It’s hard to tell if you are getting real Sambar Stag. With the pommels you don’t see the core. But some I’ve seen had the pith showing on the sides.

The Randalls have exposed ends and very dense cores with little pith. I have no doubt they are Sambar Stag.

012BED2A-0A09-4699-8FCD-FB138A9B2451.jpeg

10. eveled

Mar 11, 2016
    These Buck 212’s are pretty sweat.
    F069A4BF-3A5F-456A-B778-7D70A54CA404.jpeg

11. fishface5

fishface5

Feb 3, 2001
    Go to the link in post 2, do a search on "Dan Graves" and bring a hanky

155440, 3fifty7 and cbach8tw like this.
  12. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I know there are some Knives of Alaska have some stag, maybe a special run of their most popular patterns. +1 on Silver Stag. Muela used to have a few, and Boker's Arbolito brand.

13. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    I have used tons of Sambar and tons of elk. Those two Randalls with almost no pith that my friend @eveled shows above are excellent examples of why Sambar use to be so desired. It has almost no pith. However, finding pieces like that now is almost impossible. The Sambar have been interbreeding with other deer and have lost a lot of that solidness to the cross section of their antler. Some of the last Sambar I bought years ago was really looking like elk or other antler on cross section. On top of that with India's ban on exporting sheds we get the dregs and the pass overs from the last time they lifted the ban. I switched to elk because I could be more selective over the pieces I used. Processed correctly and used on full tang knives, without a DNA test ya can't tell the difference, I know I can't.

Elk sheds:

[​IMG]

This is a cross section of elk:

[​IMG]

Since I only make full tang knives I cut off the solid sides into scales, leaving a core of pith that is tossed:

[​IMG]

After lots of sanding the scales are soaked in a solution of potassium pomegranate. This is a dye and disinfectant. Sambar goes through this same process.

[​IMG]

Couple quick coats of a clear coat after drying and the scales are ready to use:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OP I don't make very many knives in your size range. Most of mine are much smaller and compact than you are talking about. I do use a lot of elk these days and not much Sambar anymore. One of the following knives is Sambar the others are elk. Which is which? Quien sabe?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyhoo just a few thoughts.

JJ_Colt45, dirc and eveled like this.
  14. eveled

Mar 11, 2016
    Great post Horsewright. Thanks for the insight. Your work is beautiful!

I guess the OP’s first decision is if he wants stag slabs or in the round.

I’m disappointed this thread didn’t drag out more pictures.

15. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Do yourself a favor and lookup Dan Graves, knifemaker in Shreveport Louisisna. I have one of his fine knives and have been to his shop, you won’t be disappointed.

155440 likes this.
  16. Tim.E

Tim.E Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 7, 2019
    You could do worse than have a look at Treeman for good stag, here are w of mine with virtually full stag handles, I have 10 altogether (mostly crown stag) and it's all very solid no pith to be seen anywhere.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

eveled likes this.
  17. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Horsewright, now you are talking!! Nice. I really like that Sonoran belt knife.
    And I almost forgot about Dan Graves.

18. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
  19. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Thanks, ya bet.

Thanks!