Who makes fixed blades with stag?

Hello BF,

I’m looking for my next “last knife”. I’m searching for a fixed blade with stag handles. I’ve searched the usual online places. But, other than Grohmann and Bark river, who else does production runs using stag? I’m hunting a respectable blade over 3.5 and under 5.75. Nothing specific other than tickles my fancy.

Thoughts?

Hello BF,

I’m looking for my next “last knife”. I’m searching for a fixed blade with stag handles. I’ve searched the usual online places. But, other than Grohmann and Bark river, who else does production runs using stag? I’m hunting a respectable blade over 3.5 and under 5.75. Nothing specific other than tickles my fancy.

Thoughts?
Spend some time in our custom makers forum. Careful spending too much time there...you might find several of your last knife.

https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/for-sale-fixed-blades.754/

Last edited:
Randall does.

view

The smaller model 21 Little Game I got for getting my Journeyman license the model 19 Bushmaster was my reward for getting my Masters.

Bought a year apart. And look like a matching set.

Last edited:
The trouble with Buck. Is sometimes they say Sambar Stag, Stag, Elk, or Elk Stag. It’s hard to tell if you are getting real Sambar Stag. With the pommels you don’t see the core. But some I’ve seen had the pith showing on the sides.

The Randalls have exposed ends and very dense cores with little pith. I have no doubt they are Sambar Stag.

view

Last edited:
These Buck 212’s are pretty sweat.
view

Last edited:
I know there are some Knives of Alaska have some stag, maybe a special run of their most popular patterns. +1 on Silver Stag. Muela used to have a few, and Boker's Arbolito brand.

I have used tons of Sambar and tons of elk. Those two Randalls with almost no pith that my friend eveled eveled shows above are excellent examples of why Sambar use to be so desired. It has almost no pith. However, finding pieces like that now is almost impossible. The Sambar have been interbreeding with other deer and have lost a lot of that solidness to the cross section of their antler. Some of the last Sambar I bought years ago was really looking like elk or other antler on cross section. On top of that with India's ban on exporting sheds we get the dregs and the pass overs from the last time they lifted the ban. I switched to elk because I could be more selective over the pieces I used. Processed correctly and used on full tang knives, without a DNA test ya can't tell the difference, I know I can't.

Elk sheds:

zSCuRDf.jpg

This is a cross section of elk:

8NC9d85.jpg

Since I only make full tang knives I cut off the solid sides into scales, leaving a core of pith that is tossed:

OLwxsyU.jpg

After lots of sanding the scales are soaked in a solution of potassium pomegranate. This is a dye and disinfectant. Sambar goes through this same process.

8eZMoBg.jpg

Couple quick coats of a clear coat after drying and the scales are ready to use:

uu9Y7HL.jpg

mlqQXpi.jpg

OP I don't make very many knives in your size range. Most of mine are much smaller and compact than you are talking about. I do use a lot of elk these days and not much Sambar anymore. One of the following knives is Sambar the others are elk. Which is which? Quien sabe?

je5eHYR.jpg

FD4jCqa.jpg

MrMF9GL.jpg

Urrfj8P.jpg

ue7vLfh.jpg

WlEMgIr.jpg

Anyhoo just a few thoughts.

Great post Horsewright. Thanks for the insight. Your work is beautiful!

I guess the OP’s first decision is if he wants stag slabs or in the round.

I’m disappointed this thread didn’t drag out more pictures.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and lookup Dan Graves, knifemaker in Shreveport Louisisna. I have one of his fine knives and have been to his shop, you won’t be disappointed.

You could do worse than have a look at Treeman for good stag, here are w of mine with virtually full stag handles, I have 10 altogether (mostly crown stag) and it's all very solid no pith to be seen anywhere.
NHJIhIE.jpg

jA72I5j.jpg

Horsewright, now you are talking!! Nice. I really like that Sonoran belt knife.
And I almost forgot about Dan Graves.

Great post Horsewright. Thanks for the insight. Your work is beautiful!

I guess the OP’s first decision is if he wants stag slabs or in the round.

I’m disappointed this thread didn’t drag out more pictures.

Thanks, ya bet.

Horsewright, now you are talking!! Nice. I really like that Sonoran belt knife.
And I almost forgot about Dan Graves.

Thanks!

Back