Who Makes The Best Stockman?

Having just finished a week with my first Trad slippie (case amber stockman SS), I found that a stockman pattern seems perfect for EDC but was wondering whats better in the market place? (either manufacture or steel) Cheers

Buck makes a good user in 420HC that holds an edge better than Case Tru-Sharp.

Queen makes several NICE stockman models with Amber Bone scales and D2 blades. Be prepared to resharpen the blades, though. IMO it's very much worth the effort.

You might also try the Case CV steel models of stockman. Not stainless, but holds an edge better than the Tru-Sharp. Holds an edge about like the Buck, but the finish is nicer.

I don't know if they are out yet, but I've seen reference on their web site to a Canal Street stockman in 440C. I have another Canal Street model and am quite happy with it.

I really am impressed by my Queen-made Moore Maker 5301, outstanding fit and finish. I have several Queen stockmans, and they are good. I don't have a Great Eastern #53 stockman, but if the quality is the same as my Great Eastern #73 Scout, it should be a winner.
Knives12-8-07017.jpg

I collect Buck Stockmen, but there are some really nice ones from several companies and the customs are outta sight for quality. I have never bought one but I am building up the courage.

Decent steel, scales you like to look at and in a size that feels right in your hand AND your pocket.

I have a few outside the USA knives, but in the current world I would be drawn to make sure it says USA on most you buy if you live here. In NZ do they have a native stockman ?

After that everyone have a good time and learn to sharpen well.

300Bucks

Last edited:
non-native it would have to be.... maybe Sheffield but UK stainless can be rubbish, think I would like USA steel ( NOT CHINESE!!!!) still enamored by Queen cutlery (D2 sort of rocks)

Schrade Uncle Henry, or Hen and Rooster are my top choices for a stockman.

Best edc hard working stockman if you don't care about looks; Buck 301 or 303.

Nicest for combination of work and looks; Case in CV and any of the many nice looking natural handles.

Best, smoothest working, nicest example of old world craftsmenship; Go to a knife show and find an old Hen and Rooster from the Bertram era. You'll pay for it, but you'll treasure it.

I am partial to case myself because I like bone and stag handles,and have always been very happy with either steel from them.queen makes some very nice knives as well and german eye is another favorite with boker for german made stockman.

:eek: never seen a Case w/serrations before.:cool:

I knew I had to have it the first time I seen one.....it wasn't easy to find but I whined to a Case Collector buddy of mine til he let me have this one.
I'm SOMEBODY now!!:cool::cool::cool:

The best stockman is the one that works best for you.

Mine happens to be a Long Tail C by Case.

I'm kinda partial to my old Schrade-Walden 80T. Not my prettiest knife but a super slicer! See's more pocket time then a lot of my prettier knives.

My personal "best" stockman is an Uncle Henry King Ranch. It is flawless Got it brand new for $12 about a month before Schrade went under and the prices skyrocketed. In fact it is so perfect I wont even carry it anymore for fear of losing it. Stupid, I know.:rolleyes:

Back