Who Makes The Best Stockman?

Current manufacturers:
Buck.
Moor Maker?
Bear and Sons?
Boker Tree Brand. I'm not sure about the Boker Plus and Boker Magnum lines.
Rough Ryder
Marbles
BTI Schrade (and no Swendon Keys)/Old Timer
Camillus?
Cold Steel "Ranch Boss"? (I don't know who makes/made it for them, or where.)
GEC

Past:
Buck
The Schrade family of brands.
(Schrade Walden, Camillus, Old Timer, Ulster, Imperial, Hammer Brand, to name a few)
Schrade and later Camillus made the Buck slipjoints from 1966 until Buck moved the production in-house in the 1990's(?) Buck slipjoints with a long pull (excluding the 2018 BF 301) were made by Schrade or Camillus. The Schrade made also have Swendon key construction. Camillus made have regular pin construction.
Utica
Boker Tree Brand
NYKC,
Cattaraugus
Russell
Robeson
Western
Colonial
Original Pre-War/Pre-Great Depression Queen (don't know about those after)
Schatt & Morgan (Pre-war/Pre-Great Depression, don't know about those after.)
If I was looking for a readily available Stockman with a handle length around 4.5 and quality I can rely on, which make and model would you suggest sir?

4.5 inches?
Only ones I know of that size are the BTI Old Timer 858OT (Saw Cut Delrin) and 858OTB. (Saw Cut Genuine Bone) 7CR17MoV and 9CR18MoV blades respectively. The heat treat and edge geometry seem good, on my examples.

Rough Ryder has a few that are 4 3/8 / 4.375 inch closed. 440A blade steel, done right.
If you want carbon steel, the RR1740 "Classic Carbon" is 4.375 inches closed, and have T10 blades. (roughly equivalent to 1095, from what I've found online.)

I don't know if Case or one of the other current US makers has one over 4.125 ~ 4.25/4.375 inch. I know Buck's largest is the 301 at 3 7/8 closed.

4.5 inches?
Only ones I know of that size are the BTI Old Timer 858OT (Saw Cut Delrin) and 858OTB. (Saw Cut Genuine Bone) 7CR17MoV and 9CR18MoV blades respectively. The heat treat and edge geometry seem good, on my examples.

Rough Ryder has a few that are 4 3/8 / 4.375 inch closed. 440A blade steel, done right.
If you want carbon steel, the RR1740 "Classic Carbon" is 4.375 inches closed, and have T10 blades. (roughly equivalent to 1095, from what I've found online.)

I don't know if Case or one of the other current US makers has one over 4.125 ~ 4.25/4.375 inch. I know Buck's largest is the 301 at 3 7/8 closed.
I appreciate the response. I’ve been cursed with massive hands, and have been considering the Case “Jumbo” stockman, but I’m not married to it. Open to suggestion!

If I was looking for a readily available Stockman with a handle length around 4.5 and quality I can rely on, which make and model would you suggest sir?

Start with the Case 75 pattern, hard to beat value in a large stockman. If a 75 is still to small then my best advice would be to keep a watch out for one of the Carl Schlieper - Eye brand jumbo stockman. The Schlieper jumbo is 4.75" here's a couple of pics of mine that I never carry due to the size.
IMG_20190327_203732308.jpg
IMG_20190327_203851280.jpg

When I carried a Stockmen knife I preferred the (older) Buck with the flat grind made for them by Camilus.

Case/Bose
IMG_0957-X4.jpg

although I still hope to someday acquire a cattle knife, the case/bose premium stockman was an amazing success in my novice opinion - big knife, awesome execution of stockman pattern

I just wish the shield was nickel as opposed to stainless, like the case/bose wharncliffe trapper has :(

major bummer after shelling out coin for ebony

I appreciate the response. I’ve been cursed with massive hands, and have been considering the Case “Jumbo” stockman, but I’m not married to it. Open to suggestion!

The Moore Maker 5304 is almost 4.5", coming in at 4 3/8". The older ones are Queen-made and are very good knives. I saw one at a feed store in Liberty, TX, when I was visiting my son last month, but opted for a 5301 because I like a standard sized stockman.

I have a Case 6375, and it is significantly larger than a standard 3 7/8" stockman, but a little smaller than the Moore Maker 5304.

To add to what afishhunter afishhunter suggested heres some comparison pics of the BTI Schrade and the Case jumbo stockman. While the main blade are of similar length the Schrade is longer in handle. I also have this model with the bone covers and its definitely a step up in overall fit'n'finish. Although both are great users. The delrin BTI Schrade Old Timers are definitely on the plain jane side.
Wyd4Wdk.jpg

D85nBPJ.jpg

Apparently I don't have a pic of my bone 858 saved any more, but it has mirror polished blades.

Last edited:
although I still hope to someday acquire a cattle knife, the case/bose premium stockman was an amazing success in my novice opinion - big knife, awesome execution of stockman pattern

I just wish the shield was nickel as opposed to stainless, like the case/bose wharncliffe trapper has :(

major bummer after shelling out coin for ebony

That's odd that they mix materials on the Wharncliffe Trapper? I mean I'd want uniformity because the rest of the knife, bolsters/springs are stainless.

Here's a tip though, you can take a loaded leather strop to that shield and polish it in situ, I went for polished bolsters/shield on my Norfolk with this :cool:

One of the nicest and most well made knives I’ve ever had is this unused schrade walden 881 stockman from the 1950’s. Their standard of quality was good in those days but this one really stands out.

3211DEFA-8470-4C1F-95BF-D7C93F0DC4AF.jpeg 443111BE-1C30-46D9-8701-CEB5F6038B9B.jpeg

Another one of my best that I actually use is this schrade walden 861, also from the 1950’s. They made it like they wanted it to last forever. I love the strong but buttery smooth snap of the blades. I will usually carry this once a week, sometimes more.

7B54B9FD-D594-4714-BE02-6898B0A5FACD.jpeg

Start with the Case 75 pattern, hard to beat value in a large stockman. If a 75 is still to small then my best advice would be to keep a watch out for one of the Carl Schlieper - Eye brand jumbo stockman. The Schlieper jumbo is 4.75" here's a couple of pics of mine that I never carry due to the size.
View attachment 1478285
View attachment 1478286

I have one of those in both carbon and in stainless. I've carried and used the carbon a lot over the years and have never found the size to be a problem. I'm not a steel snob but in this case the carbon seems to hold much better edges than the stainless.

Back