1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Who rocks a camp tramp/711?

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by Shotgun, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Shotgun

Shotgun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2006
    Truth is I have almost zero chopping needs so I haven’t done a whole lot with my 711. I need to change that and was hoping for inspiration. Anyone consider these the ultimate these days or are you guys rocking something better?

Side question. After stripping the coating, any advice on sanding? I sanded a 6 inch rat a long time ago and it took forever but I used basic sandpaper at first. At about 300 I switched to 3m wet dry and it seemed to go faster. Not sure if it was the paper I used or if it’s just faster at higher grits. Thanks.

2. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I rock this 7.5" BAMF regularly. It's the thin cut version, so a little under .25".

sanding sponges work nice but I prefer a finer grit on a belt sander more. I'm a lot more controlled with the pressure. Or get the lion's share of the polishing done by belt and hand finish the rest. However, I like the rough finish but all of mine had decent looks underneath,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

all stripped
    [​IMG]

3. cut it out

cut it out Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2010
    The Tramp is easily one of my favorite knives. It’s such a great camp knife, truck knife, kindling knife, watermelon knife you name it. It will handle it [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

rpn and bikerector like this.
  4. rpn

rpn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2008
    :eek: If I started collecting again I would buy the knives in the bottom pic, close my bf account, run for it and save myself who knows how much money!

Stump Buster and Hard Knocks like this.
  5. cut it out

cut it out Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2010
    This is a great set of all bases covered.