Who The Heck Are Ya?

I used to hunt in Hamsted and fished Pretty Boy often. If you are free monday come as my guest to the Chesapeak Bay Knife Club meeting. 7to9. We meet in Perry Hall. Makers, Collectors, a real bunch of knife knuts:) .

Larry

Hey Larry,
I would love to go as your guest, unfortunately i wont be home all next week, and i prob wont be able to make any others till May or so, are they every mon?? Maybe if i come home or am off i will drop by or send an email your way.
Im sure my dad would love to go too, he is starting to get into knife making along with me.
Jake

Nowicki said:
I used to hunt in Hamsted and fished Pretty Boy often. If you are free monday come as my guest to the Chesapeak Bay Knife Club meeting. 7to9. We meet in Perry Hall. Makers, Collectors, a real bunch of knife knuts:) .

Larry
if you dont mind me askin where is the meeting is or if i could see how it is let me know i ll see if i can get off work i got to get out and see more of the knife nuts
butch

Meetings are 2nd Monday of the mounth 7 to 9 at the Rosedale Federal Bank building in Perry Hall, upstairs. Jake, send your dad. Butch...come on down. The more knife nuts the better. Look me up when you get there. It's on Rt1 towards the north end of Perry Hall. I'll look up directions tomorrow. Check out this a while: http://www.knifeshows.com/clubs/cbkc/index.html

Larry

I suppose since I'm new here I should drop a not in this thread. My real name is Rob, but I've been 'deker' since I was about 17. Recently moved to Hanover, PA, closer to my blacksmith guild (The Blacksmith Guild of Central Maryland) and had the good fortune to get into a knife making class being taught there. After making a clip-point stick-tang knife in that class (and having it turn out pretty well), I decided that I think I like this whole knife-making thing :)

I'm a computer-geek by trade and got into blacksmithing/knifemaking because I need to occationally have something tangible to show for my efforts on something. :rolleyes:

I'm currently in the process of getting my ducks in a row to build a shop since I FINALLY have some space to. It'll likely be spring before the building goes up, but in the meantime I'm trying to carve out a little corner of the garage.

To tide me over until spring, I'm just starting on a grinder building project. I plan to build something as close to a KMG as I can reasonably manage so that I can save a few $$ for more tools for in the shop. I placed an order for the steel with a local welding supply the other day and come early next week I should have about 115lbs of steel for the grinder frame. Drive wheel/tracking wheel/etc will be coming from Rob Frink (who has been very helpful so far with my questions about the KMG...I want my machine to be "KMG Compatible" so I can use his tooling...), and I plan on getting a 10" contact wheel from Grizzly.

I'll also be doing my best to chronicle my grinder build somewhere with lots of pics as I go along. My hope is that I'll be able to build the entire grinder without requiring a welder since I don't trust my welds on anything heavy. :) So, I'm going into this armed with only an angle grinder, a 15" drill press, and hand taps...we'll see what happens....

Well, I suppose I've filled enough space here.

Thanks for listening,

-d

Hi, my name is Dave Wade and I live in Altavista, VA. I've had a fascination with knives for as long as I can remember, and have recently decided to become a maker. I will be attending some basic knifemaking classes soon, and will try my hand at stock removal because I can be set up to work sooner.

I have a full time job as a telecommunications engineer, but I have faith that I can leave that behind if I apply myself. Thanks to all of you for being here- I have already learned a lot before I even threw my first spark.
Dave

Thanks guys for introducing yourselves! This thread is huge now! What a bunch of great people knifemakers are. Whenever you see me at a show please stop and shake hands.

Hi Guys,
My name is Dave. I'm from Connecticut. A Tool Maker for 30 years and a Hobbiest Knifemaker for 4. I made my equipment after hours at my day job. The Steel is mostly A-2 resawn from scrap I get at work. I would like to use more of the different Stainless Steels that are out there.
Wendy my wife is my " Manager", My son David is my apprentice and computer expert. This is a family affair !!!
We hope to meet some of you at the shows some day.
Thanks,
Dave, Wendy and David

Hi, my name is Wick Ellerbe, I live on the St. Johns river close to a one stop light community called Geneva in east central FL. A bit N.E. of Ratland. My board handle is one of my blade marks. I made my first knife from a file in 1971, which somewhat impressed Pete Hamilton at Randalls. Pete gave me a few tips and I progressed to a level of skill around 1977, that I could almost match Ed Henry's Bowies, which was my goal at the time. Gary Randall bought one of my Bowies, and I assume it is still there in the collection room. Bo Randall liked it so much that he would often lay mine beside Henry's, names down, and ask knife collectors to pick the Henry from the two, and most chose mine. He got a real kick out of that, and of course, so did I. Bo Randall was one of the finest gentleman I have ever met. I am glad to have had the pleasure of knowing him, even a little bit. Nowadays, I make 18th c. designs, some Bowies, and usually keep them simple, but fairly nice, and priced at what I think is reasonable. I no longer care to make super high end knives. Too much time, stress, and anal like attention to tiny details involved. I just like doing working knives that reflect the past most of all. My work is similar to Dan Winkler's, and Rich McDonald's. Seeing Winkler's work back in the late eighties put me on this path, and I guess this is where I will stay. Don't take life too serious, it won't last.

loussharp1 said:
Hi Guys,
My name is Dave. I'm from Connecticut. A Tool Maker for 30 years and a Hobbiest Knifemaker for 4. I made my equipment after hours at my day job. The Steel is mostly A-2 resawn from scrap I get at work. I would like to use more of the different Stainless Steels that are out there.
Wendy my wife is my " Manager", My son David is my apprentice and computer expert. This is a family affair !!!
We hope to meet some of you at the shows some day.
Thanks,
Dave, Wendy and David
Hey!! Your close by. You should come to one of your Hammer-Ins (NECKA). We have been having them here at my shop in New Bedford, Ma. If you are ever in my area give me a call and stop over for a couple of beers.:thumbup:

welcome guys
LRB we can't let it go with out pictures do you have a web site? :D
you and I it sounds started about the same time my first sale was in 1973
but I can't remember when the first one I made was, I was always making
sharp things, knives (bow's and arrows ( still do ) it's a life long thing I guess..
was to poor to buy them..

Dave (loussharp1yes) what IG said we have a blast at the H'I's we do joke a lot and you'll find that out real fast..:D

Dave (wadeblade)
it takes a lot to make it, so go slow with your eyes wide open..
this is likened to Basketball, few make it to the MBNA but it can be a living if you are careful with all aspects of it. the PR, advertising, talent, what you can offer your customer at a Custom level, and much more, a business approach and the mentality helps greatly..But some will find when the brain says yes and the hands say no, this is the proof of it..

welcome Guys to one of the greatest places on the WEB for Knife makers..:)

Well i will introduce my self as well. My name is Jarod Todd, And i have allwase etched a JT into my blades thats why my handle is JTknives. I started making knives when i was around 12-14 can remember forshure. it all started when i saw my dad use a belt sande to sharpen a chisel he was using at work. that night i snuck out to the shop and grabed the belt sander and found some metal and started grinding. i have been doing it ever sience and im 25 now. i live in provo utah and i moved here from Hawaii. i must say i love this forum it is a huge help. thanks every one.

Keep It Sharp

Dan Gray said:
Joe you're not to far off from our Necka club..
you're sure welcome.. and a H/I is coming up.
ck it out..
www.necka.net
Indian george said:
Yep!!! What Dan said. I usually have people over on Saturdays just hanging around and making Damascus come on over sometime.
Jeez i missed that one by a mile thanks for the invite guys,I'll be out and about now that i'm done with school.

Hi everyone. I am Dmitry Malakhov. I spent few years in Minnesota, than a year in Vancouver BC (Canada). Now I am returning back to US and back to Austin, Minnesota. I do not pretend that I am a knifemaker. Just made few pieces years ago. I'll show some my old knifes later when will get the pictures.
Dmitry.

Hi guys, my first name is Brent and I have made knives for the last two years as a serious hobby. I try to keep it from becomming a business but someone always wants a knife or hawk and I can't say no. I grew up watching my dad forge leaf and coil springs when I went to work with him. I was the little snot nosed son of the boss and I am sure I asked too many questions about the process. Every year at the local state fair there was always a blacksmith doing demonstrations. I always went there first to watch them over the rides and animal exhibits.

The first knife I owned was one I made when I was nine or ten yrs old. My parents would not let me have one even though all of my friends had pocket knives. My dad always had a shop with the basic tools and I realized if I wanted a knife I was going to have to make my own. I found a gutter spike and used a propane torch to heat it and used the back of my dads vise for the anvil. I finished it using the bench grinder and some files. It looked like pure hell but I managed to get it pretty sharp. I now had the biggest knife of all of my friends but that was also my undoing since word got back to my parents:eek: . In less then a week it was confiscated and tagged as evidence and I never saw it again.

Currently I live on 8 acres next to the Bald Hills in Yelm WA. I am not a city person so I choose to live as far out as I can. My property has two ponds and a small creek and an awsome view of Mt Rainier. My micro shop is 10x16 but I have managed to pack alot of crap into it and keep it functional.

There are not too many local knife makers so for me it is a pretty solitary endeavor. Thanks to these and a few other forums I have at least a digital connection to other makers. The forums have been an immense help to me for information and inspiration.

I hope in the future I can give back at least a fraction of what I have learned to the newer knife makers.

Hey Guys--My real name is Tom Hollowell from Sugar Land, TX---Been dabbling with knife making for about 35 yrs--as a serious hobby for a year---Mechanical Designer for a major Houston engineering company by day and a spark making fool by night--have plans on making knives full time in a couple of yrs when I retire--between now and then I hope to build my "skills" to a much higher level and maybe I won't be so critical of my work--when I reach the point when I think that i am doing a reasonable job, I have close friends in the business that will help me put the final polish on my skills

Back