Who went to the Guild Show and what'd ya get?

All in all I thought it was a great show. There were tons of beautiul knives to be had. The show was located in a different area of the Marriot this year which really freaked me out for a moment.:eek:
I walked in the Marriott entrance trying to keep from breaking into a dead run for the Guild Show entrance and there was some speakers conference there where the Guild Show usually takes place. ACK! Fortunately I saw Bob from Injun Joe's Cutlery walking by and he steered us in the right direction.(whew!)
I went mostly for supplies but I did get a Dozier Pro Guide in Desert Ironwood.:D The Pro Guide has been on my "must have" list since last year's show when I got a lg. Elk Skinner. I was looking for one with Micarta scales, but scoring one with Ironwood scales was a real bonus. Both knives are real honest to God cutting tools par excellance. I'm most happy with that purchase.
Wandering around I spied Jerry Hossom's table. He had some REALLY sweet pieces there also. I needed to go with at least $5000.00 to satisfy all I really wanted from his table. That man kows how to make a knife grip. Pick up one of his knives and you'll see what I mean.

The crowd was not huge that early(Friday morning about 11:00am) but seemed to increase into the afternoon. I suspect Saturday and Sunday it got a bit more intense as the week-enders came to town.
Anyway,

SUPPLIES! I CAME FOR SUPPLIES! MUST FOCUS...ON...GETTING...SUPPLIES...

The Desert Ironwood suppliers had a great load of Desert Ironwood this year and I spent almost 40 minutes trying to decide which ones to get. My wife reined me in before I went berserk buying Ironwood and I'm glad she did. Around the bend at the Koval table I saw they had some BEAUTIFUL stabilized California Buckeye. This stuff is stunning in it's beauty and should make for one eye popping handle.
There was one Helluva lotta Red Stag antler to be had and a lot of that looked like Grade A Sambar on the outside. It was very reasonably priced to boot. It looks like stag may not be gone for good as I'd feared.:cool: The only down side is Red Stag tends to be a bit pithy.:(

By the end of the afternoon I was outta money and energy so my better half steered me toward the exit. I walked out with about 20 pounds of 52100, 5160, 1084 and D-2. I managed to get hold of some flat stock 52100.:eek: I did not expect to see it and that eek! smiley is probably what my face looked like when I spotted it. It's 1/8" stock but should give up some nice knives. I'm stoaked about it!

Soooo, what did ya'll score at the show? Inquiring minds have gotta know!

Over 16,000 knife knuts on this forum and no one went to the Knifemaker's Guild Show?!
Geez! I knew I shoulda brought more money.:rolleyes:

Surprised as well by the lack of response to the US Guild Show ?! . . . only bits 'n pieces on the custom forum, no real review. Two or three years ago there would have been pics and reviews by the end of day1 !! . . . Has the market gone all soft and floppy?, or is the news on other forums?

Regards, HILTON

We just got back from the show yesterday evening...wow!

We bought alot of knives for The Cutting Edge. Only bought one knife for me this time--a Wayne Hensley miniature battle ax. Very pleased with it.

It was great visiting with everyone. I even made friends with Isaac, the security guard at the front door. Got to visit some with Perry Miller, Bruce and Debbie Voyles, Steve Woods, Jeff Chaffee, Simon Lytton, Tony Centofante, Bob and Linda Neal. If you ever see Bruce Voyles in person, have him tell you the chicken joke :) We had a table next to Corbin Newcomb--one of the nicest people I have ever met.

Had breakfast with Paul Basch (of course!), Mike Irie, Jim Magee, and Tom McLennan. Had dinner with a different group of people each night: Paul Basch (of course!), Steve Fecas, Gary and Regina Shaw, Jason Jacks, Wes Crawford, Jerry Schroeder, Tom Downing, Hank Rummill...who am I forgetting?

The best part though...the knives. Aaron Fredericks and Jason Jacks had some incredible folders. D'Holder sold out the first day as well as Dan Burkes. Koji Hara introduced some nice new models.

I can't even begin to list them all so I'll stop while I'm ahead. Here are some of the award winners though:

Cronk Award--Dwight Towell
Frieberg Award--Buster and Julie Warenski
Most Innovative Folder--Ed Vanhoy
Best Value--"Billy Bob" Sowell Iron Horse Forge
Art Boggs Award--Dennis Freely sp?
Honorary Members Award to 1st Year Probationary for Craftsmanship--Luis Vanderwalt from South Africa

Can anyone help me out with the rest?

Amy
edited to correct award winner...

No pics, but I got the chance to acquire a Centofante model 3 liner lock with mosaic damascus bolsters, M.O.P. overlays, blue anodized and file worked titanium liners and spacer and a hand-rubbed ATS-34 blade. :D

A great knife from one of the truly great makers..... and a heck of a nice person to boot!:)

I picked up some great Damascus and various handle supplies as well as some neat Ostrich skin.Got to catch up with some old friends and make some new ones.And yes, Jerry had some awesome knives.Dave:D

I picked up some very nice pieces from Arron Fredirick and Jerry Hossom, to name a couple. The best part of the show for me was spending time with Amy Hinchman :D :D :D and seeing Paul Basch in good health. Also, enjoyed Bruce Voyles joke about the chicken, but I talk to that hillbilly every day. Overall it seemed like everyone had a good time.
Kinfekid

Back