Who Would Be Interested In Doing A Collaboration Classic Hunter With Me??

(ADDED/ A note of help to new readers of this thread: The thread is so long and has been in process for about 3 years now, so there is a brief overview of its contents at http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422668 . You can look at it first to see if you wish to spend time on this thread)
-------------------------------

We can get together and decide who does what. I don't know how these things work exactly but would presume that what ever our part is we pay for, or we divide it(?). Who gets it in the end and where proceeds go I will leave to those that know that stuff. I suppose it is usually donated(?). Any takers?? I'm game. We'll need a sheath maker. Count me out on that part. Other than that I am not particular about what part I would be responsible for and would depend on concenses for that.

I should be able to choose from those that may respond. Perhaps no one will respond. Should there be more than needed someone must choose who will be the makers. I could, however, ask to deligate that choice to the most senior respondent (senior: as in - amount of experience).

I might suggest that the most senior member chosen be the 'so called' chairman or authority in over-all charge of how things proceed. That should almost certainly exclude me. It might too be good also if those not interested but have done this before lend their advise as to how to disperse the final knife and all other things they could advise upon.

P.S., I like classic designs but it's not a deal breaker, however it must be heat treated by one of the collabortors for me to be interested. The heat treat is the single thing that separates a knife from something that only looks like a knife, and if it is to be made by us it should be treated by us. In addition to all that I would hope that all involved would insist on extreme quality of components. Aside from all that once all things are agreed upon you will find I fall in line very easily, so far as those things settled upon are not compromised.

Roger

Roger what's your time frame? You can count me in, depending on whether the timing can be somewhat flexible. (Not that I have a lot going on right now..!)

But I will not be available for the HT! :eek: Seems to me you've done the work to qualify yourself for that...

I would also be willing to make the sheath. Mine are not as refined as Chuck's or Sandy's - and never will be - but they're okay.

If you're hollow grinding I'm limited to 10" (unless you want to use this as an excuse to get a 14" wheel? :D ). Otherwise I do almost exclusively flat grinds to the spine, and feel most comfortable there. What about filework? I'm game with that too.

As to the knife itself, I like the traditional hunter idea. Don't think I've ever done that and really like em.

What drew me to this project was your requirement to use good materials. Presumably you mean handle and fittings? O1 should be okay for the knife shouldn't it? Or did you have something like S30V in mind (in which case I would expect you'd have a difficult time finding a collaborator who will do the HT).

Since you've apparently been buying a lot of mammoth ivory ( ;) ), is that what you're thinking? What about 416 for the other parts?

How about multiple collaborators? That would almost certainly slow the project down but would give a lot more opportunity to pick up people's strong points.

I'd think such a knife would be a good donation, maybe to Hunt of a Lifetime or similar organization?

Dave

Great idea -- I'd be in for anything you guys needed (if you'd have me). Maybe I could work on the design, or anything you all needed. BTW -- Jay Maines makes some absolutely sweet sheaths, and he's a great guy to deal with.

rlinger, you hit solid gold right off the bat! Ol' Dave does great work, some of which I had the fortune to see and handle. You fellows would have a grand time on your project!

Sounds exciting Guys!! Go for it!! It sounds like an instant success. One word though..be sure to set a time frame and stick to it.

Anxious to see what you come up with.:cool:

Okay,

Jay, Dave, BurchTree so far. Jay for Sheath(?). Would you like to do the grind and file work Dave?? Burch - design all you like. If we full tang I've got some killer blue ivory and I could do the HT too. I'd like to be in the handle work somewhere. We can do s30v if you all like, ATS-34, whatever. (how about damascus??) We'll need a donor for damascus. I like that idea - damascus. Who else does??

Who's the senior guy so far?? Time frame?, I'm in no particular hurry. I'd like to finish the one I'm on now first. We could schedule it so that noboby is under too much pressure time-wise. Let's see who else pops there head up today.

Roger

Thanks for letting in on your project. I'll work on some stuff for you guys to ponder over. Blue mammoth would be gorgeous, and damascus is always a plus. I plan on doing a shop visit with Bill Buxton sometime soon, and we had planned on cookin' up something on his forge.

Another idea, how about some "homemade" mosaic pins? There is another gentleman that does this on the boards, and if not, I've been working on some myself that I can contribute.

Let me know the basic dimensions of the knife (length, and such) and I'll see what I can come up with. I like traditional, but I think it should be distinct too.

Let me know -- this should be fun.

Yea Mike, my vote is for a classical design. How about a four inch blade (tip to bolster) in a hunter design?? I vote for mosaic pins too Mike.

I agree with Dave too, the more good makers the better. That could mean that I would only do the HT, for example (has anyone figured out yet that I've been asking for that position all along??) :cool:. It might mean, for example, that Dave does the grind and someone else does file work - are you reading this Bruce Evans.

I suggest too that Pendentive (Dan Koster) is good with graphics and such. I could ask him to jump in with us and design the Certificate of Origin (??). Please advise.

Do you guys want me to start begging for some killer damascus?? I can beg like a puppy. Please advise. Bill Buxton does good work. Does he make damascus??

Chime in here Dave about your feelings on using damascus. You don't mind grinding that do ya??

Roger

Grinding sounds great and I'm happy to do filework also. Since we're thinking strongly about full tang, I'd expect to taper that too.

I like the idea of damascus, mosaic pins and beautiful blue ivory! I wonder if we might blue the damascus? Who's had experience with that? Michael if you guys end up making the billet for this, maybe you could keep bluing in mind? Don't know if the selection of steels would play into that.

And I really like the idea of doing the classic mode too.

One thing, I think everyone who has a hand in this project should get to see the finished knife before we let it go. Anyone else feel that way? We could just mail it from one person to the next.

Dave

Dave, I definately agree that all makers give final inspection. No doubt at all with me on that. We all can afford the postage to send it on to the next guy.

Tapered absolutely. The handle guy(s) should drill the tang, I think.

What type grind do you want to do?? I guess you would want to see Michael's designs first.

We still need a damascus etcher and a couple handle guys. Who else wants in this?? How about a blade finisher?? Join in.

Roger

Roger you're right, I'll wait to see what Michael comes up with before I start talking about the grind too much. But if it's going to be hollow I only hve a 10" wheel, which limits the height I can go with the grind. It also means whoever ends up finishing the blade will have to have 10" wheel too.

Dave

Dave, as far as I am concerned the grind is your baby. You do it as you best see it done. I am, of course, very interested in it so I can play with my imagination wondering what this thing's going to look like.

Just to let all involved know what I have as far as HT equipment goes: 18 inch Even Heat with Rampmaster computer, small propane forge, tempering oven with an accurate indicator, liquid nitrogen, Rockwell testers (3). If we go with damascus (please Lord) I'll be calling Tim Zowada again. I will also ask the source for some scrap pieces to experiment with.

Hey guys, Do I have your permission to contact Pendentive about designing the cert?? What about the damascus source?? What say.

Still have openings. Jump in.

Roger

I say contact him, He does some great graphic work. I've done a little "drawing" and I think I have good handle design down, and am working on the blade. The best I can do right now (no scanner here at home) is work the design, take a picture of it and send it to you guys. If not, I can post the "picture" (unless you want it secret ;) ).

I like the idea of everyone getting to handle the finished piece. Great idea.

JAY Maines how you doing,, long time buddy...:D
I bet your missing Maine right now:)

Guys I'm in if you'd like
Hollow up to 8"
heat treat and Nitro, or most the other parts no problem for me.

if you leave me out,, that's OK, I have too much to do
anyway, so don't feel bad telling so..:)

good luck guys :p

Dan (Gray), are you kidding!! YOU BET! It'll be great to have you. Unless Mr. Boss volunteers, I want the HT responsibility. That's really what I want to do.

So far it looks like we need makers for: profiling the blank, handle work, etching damascus (we're leaning toward damascus), blade finishing, the presentation edge, and whatever else I can't think of right now. Oh, yes - we'll need someone to test an edge after HT before it goes to handle work.

Do you work with ivory scales?? What part you want??

If we don't get enough makers we'll all just have to do another part of it or two. Poor ol'Jay; I guess he's stuck with the whole sheath. It'll be a dandy too.

Roger

I second (third?) asking Dan the Pendentive to do the certificate. Since it would be a one-off, should we tell a story on it? For example list who did what, and why we gave it to whomever we did. Like that.

It's early of course but any ideas what to do with the knife? Auction it and send proceeds somewhere? (I like this one because it gives me a shot at owning the finished product.) Send the knife to our selected organization and let them do what they will with it? Okay, okay this is way ahead and I know it. :rolleyes: :D But I'm enjoying myself.

BTW -- we can't just call it the "hunter." It's got to have a name -- any suggestions? :D

How about 'Collaboration Hunter 2003' ?? Etched right on the blade. What think??

Thanks for getting back to me on Pendentive. Jay hasn't chimed in on that yet but I'm sure its okay with him too.

Oh yes, the cert needs to have all makers names and signatures along with their part in it. Dave, I wonder about including who it was made for on the cert. That may devalue it. We could put something like: First owner_____________________. What think??

Hey, I may be mistaken about something - blade finishing. After this thing is heat treated the decarb is going to have to be ground off. Even if its a stainless air quench in foil it will be discolored. Ain't no way I want to grind on your bevel. I suggest I put a quick edge on it for me to make a preliminary test and then send it A.S.A.P. right back to you for grinding off decarb.. Am I right?? I think so. Another thing I need all you guy's advise on: If we don't get so many makers that we need to split this thing up so much, doesn't it seem reasonable that since BurchTree is designing it he also should profile it?? Please advise.

Back