Who's got a mini Cutjack?

Smaug

Gold Member
I just got a Modus and I LOVE it.

I read some Amazon reviews of the mini Cutjack and they're mixed. A few guys say they're very hard to open. But them being Amazon reviewers and not knife aficionados, I wonder if it's just bad technique? (Ex. Push-button instead of light switch)

What do you owners think?

I don’t know what they are talking about. Must be weak-ass fingers?

Mine works great with absolutely no issues.

I don’t know what they are talking about. Must be weak-ass fingers?

Mine works great with absolutely no issues.
Seems like it is the D2 versions that are sometimes hard to open. I don't have one of those. It all may be a mute point as I downsized again to a Small Tinker or Peanut from my usual Delica/Native-Mini Cutjack size (3 -3.25" blade). The Cutjack is a sweet knife however. I got the Mini Cutjack about a year ago and carried it frequently until just recently along with a SAK. Guess I still can if I carry two folders. That was my general approach for the last year or so. The Mini Cutjack was a total impulse buy at a large knife store and I was totally satisfied with that impulse. Another impulse buy at the same store was the Benchmade Mini Presidio II (folder) which I really like as well. It along with the Cutjack are second knives in my carry approach if I carry two folders. I suspect I will continue to do this off and on.

I love the ergos of my Modus, but found the Mini-Cutjack to feel too small in my hand. The regular Cutjack felt good in-hand, but was bigger than my Modus. I ended up getting a Mini-Intrigue instead for a slim, light EDC.

My d2 mini cut jack functions great. A little small for me in handle length but its a great little knife for the price.

I have the D2 version and it's right next to the RAT 2 D2 in terms of bang for your buck. It depends on whether you want a flipper or thumb stud deployment.

I have seen people who don't know what they are doing having a hard time breaking the detent. When they finally do, it only just pops out and they need to wrist flick it the rest of the way.
HOWEVER, if you know how to use a flipper, you will have no problem.

My Cutjack Mini had a detent that was a little firmer than I preferred, but it was by no means hard to open. If I flipped it over and over, my index finger would get a little more sore than when fidgeting with some of my flippers with softer detents (Ferrum Forge Gent and Factor Iconic Compact).

It was a dang good knife for the price. Ultimately I sold it because I tend to prefer folders in the $75 - $150 range for various reasons.

No issues with my mini cut jack in d2 Easy flipping action good steel decent size. The only change I keep considering is putting a kwik stud on it so it’s more fidget friendly.

Thanks all. Sounds like the short grip is more of an issue than the detent.

The upgrade model in m390 is well worth it. Great flipper, and good cutter.
The only downside is the clip, it's not one that works with real thick pants.

I bought a mini-Cutjack D2 because the price was so low. I checked against pictures from review sites and it looks like the real thing.
So I bought it for WTF not? I get what I get. I saw the reviews too.
If anything it flips open easier than the knife blogs say. It's certainly a better flipper than my CRKT flippers, which are supposedly among the better budget flippers. I don't mind the strength of the detent, as it makes the blade fly open. Better a strong positive flip than a weak misfire.
With the finger choil, I don't see why most hands would have an issue. If you don't like to choke up, it could be a problem.

The detent is a little stiff on mine and the grip is a little cramp for my size XL hands so it makes it a little more of a challenge to flip sometimes. Not hard due to the detent but rather just a little cramped. It's more a technique thing IMO. If I carry it for a day, a few flips in and I have it down.

Back