Who's got a Southern Grind Spider Monkey?

I love the look of the Spider Monkey. I don't hear/see a lot of talk about them though. I think they're beautiful, and the frame/scale shape looks like it the perfect ergonomic knife. I'm trying to decide which one I want. So many variations. SM owners, What do you think about the knife? SM lovers, what do you love about the knife?

I've got one. Carbon fiber and titanium. Drop point. It's light, usable blade shape. Action is fine, but not spectacular. Short clip works well. The scale texturing at the back of the scales make extraction from the pocket easy. It's a a nice knife.

I've got one... The red G10 version. It's a cool knife - I have only had it a short time but here are my thoughts:

Great blade shape - blade is my favorite part. Good grind imo decently thin edge but sufficient strength and tip strength.

Pretty good ergos... I have small hands and I enjoy the handle shape

Clip is ok... As a clip it's ok - it is not super comfy but not terrible...I have an emerson clip on the way I'm going to see if they resolves it

Action is decent... Not bad but not amazing

My complaints:

Don't love the thumb stud... Kinda sharp

My copy had some slight lock rock. None side to side

Clip isn't the best... But not terrible

All in all is a good edc user and good worker... It fills that niche nicely.

I think I'll hang on to it for awhile... I've been enjoying it.

Last edited:
Oh my other annoyence is the lock bar... It's got some milling and is a little sharp.

It's a great tool but not a good fidget toy

I love mine.
My sample is well built. No QC issues.
The size is just right for EDC. The weight is good.
Grind and stock are just right; a good balance between slicey and sturdy.
My action is fine. Not magical, but fine nonetheless. It did take a little break-in and pivot adjustment, but nothing heroic (and I haven’t taken it apart or anything like that).
The liners are titanium; no cheaping out with stainless.

I don’t hate the clip, but I don’t particularly like it either. Benchmade clips will fit. I ran one for a while, then put the OE back on it...I’m not sure why.

Overall, and compared to what else is on the market, I think it’s worth the price.

The only negative I can think of is that the pocket clip overlies ribbed texturing on the scales. It probably makes the knife more secure, but it’s a bit hard on pockets. I might swap a benchmade clip back onto it for that reason alone.

It's enjoyable as a carry. Light, sturdy, pretty unobtrusive and very ergonomic.

The carbon fiber is really well done and beautiful. The blade profile works really well and the steel is done right.

The short clip is weird at first, but I found that during use there isn't a big long clip clogging up your grip on one whole side of the knife. Nice.

Didn't have to use the company's customer service, but I hear it is great if needed.

Worth the price new, but easy to find on the exchange if you want one.

It is a good knife
for the price I would have like an higher end steel but that is really the only complain I have

USAmadeblade has a dlc M4 version that solves this point

I'm not a fidget flipper; and I like the spider monkey quite a bit. I actually recommend it fairly often when people are looking for suggestions.
My first one, and still my favorite, is the copper version. The added heft of the copper makes it very different from the cf versions. The action feels "hydraulic" - I scoffed at that term when I saw it associated with certain knives; but it was the first thing that came to mind when I experienced the chopper Spider Monkey.

I also have one in carbon fiber, with green anodized scales. I pretty much only carry that one at work, where small and light is a must. The action is noticeably different from the copper one.
I couldn't resist the red cf on CPM-M4 version, initially thinking it would replace my other one as my work knife. Since I often have to carry my work knife IWB, I decided against that idea; so it sits in the box (#15 of 50), and I'm basically okay with that.

I have one of the BladeHQ M4 exclusives, it's really nice, great edc piece. Light, very smooth, drops shut, great usable blade shape. At 3.25" blade length, it might be too small for some folk, but that is really the only possible issues with it (IMO). SG makes really good knives.

I like the pocket clip! Well, I like the whole knife actually. Does anyone know if the clip is available separately?

I like mine, but the one I kept is the copper one which was a mistake. I really like the way the copper looks, but I prefer lighter knives and think if I'd kept the lighter CF one I'd carry it more.

I've got a few, IMO a little under rated. I like S35VN steel and love M4 steel. Can't go wrong with a quality USA made product and Southern Grind does a great job. All mine are well made and very snug. I like the size, small but there's just enough handle for all my fingers. The finish is really well done. For the $$ I think they're hitting above the mark. I too am not a fan of the clip, the way it ramps at the end creates a little hot spot for me but with a little plier work the ramp can be reduced to be ALMOST comfortable.

I have 7
Damascus and all black hardware
Damascus and all silver hardware
Damascus and copper scales
Damascus and silver carbon fiber
DLC drop point and copper / CF scales
DLC tanto and copper / CF scales
Satin drop point and blue g-10 scales

I will say that none of the damasteel blades came sharp sharp.

I am going for a couple more:
Jade g-10 scales version
Red g-10 scales version
Abalone scales version
Knifecenter exclusive with s45vn
Bladehq version with m4
Then I’m done …..promise!

A ArenaRed you're a year late to the party; but welcome. I clearly haven't been paying attention, as I was unaware of abalone scales, KC S45vn, or bhq m4. Have those happened already? Strictly conversational - don't need another (but I might get one more just to do a liner swap)

Yeah it was an old thread but still informational I think. Yes those other versions are out in the wild.

Oh I almost forgot the glow in the glow CF with a dlc drop point that they only made 20 of.

Back