Who's gotten their 5.1 Starter?

Next weekend I will take a lot of photos. Going to meet up with some bushcraft guys here in Colorado to camp and ice fish. Definitely taking the 5.1 with me. :)

Still not sure why this is a factory 2nd. In comparison with my old 4.1 factory 2nd.

5141.jpg

Great looking knives!!

I love your work. I follow your Facebook page so I get to see new photos everyday. Looking forward to seeing more!

I will let you (and everyone else, I'll be so excited) know! 👍😉

I was so excited, I forgot to let people know!! Got my 20CV from the pre-sale in Friday afternoon. Fantastic blade, well worth the wait from the pre-sale. Still want to try to capture one from the Piranha Pit in 3V.

Knife is flawless. And sharp as a straight razor.

Congrats to all who have received their knives. I can only sit here in envy and await for mine patiently, but I hope you guys will have a great time with yours.

Gah! I'm so envious of everyone who's received the 5.1! Why oh why did I go for the pre-sale and not starter? I sold my old 5.1 and all these pictures showing up is making my heart ache...

This is the only photo I have so far, of the entire knife. Posted close ups of the green canvas scales over in the library.

The sinister edition; black-on-black (G10) with the tumble finish blade.

Survive_GSO_5_1_3.jpg

As many of you have noted, the knife comes razor sharp with no burr whatsoever. I was able to shave off thin slices of phonebook paper with ease. The overall blade profile is what I tend to favor, Kephart-esqe with a high saber grind and a defined (read: pointed) tip. This general shape and profile make it such that I can carve with relative ease, process game, do piercing tasks and yet still have a viable tool when it comes time to do something like battoning. I prefer a sharper spine though, but I knew going in Survive doesn't really appreciate that feature in the same way I do.

Although jimping tends to be controversial I happen to like it, somewhat out of necessity mind you seeing as how my hands sweat with the slightest provocation. What this knife has is pretty much ideal; not only is there enough of it to accommodate a few different hand positions, they're done in such a manner as to not mandate gloves. Since I already have an issue with sweat the last thing I want to do is toss on a set of gloves.

The index finger cutout is a mixed bag for me. Part of the reason I got the 5.1 instead of the 6 is for that feature, seeing as how it will allow me to choke up on the blade for finer carving tasks. What's missing is some rounding of the edges because just handling the knife for the past 30 minutes has already lead me to believe I won't be able to choke up for very long, lest I want a raw index finger. The worst area is at the plunge line by the ricasso - that raised portion magnifies the problem

The sheath design is practically faultless. There is zero rattle or play yet the knife fits snugly. It's about as small as you could possibly make it too, a definite plus for me. The belt clip is an interesting design, but I haven't tried it in the field yet so I can't comment about how suitable it might be. The slit-style cutouts down both sides make it such that I should be able to attach a small pouch, another proclivity of mine. I'll see if I can find a generic ferro rod loop that will allow me to add one of those, which is yet another personal preference. The drain tube appears slightly overdone when seen in person, but that might prove to be a function-over-form type of thing. It's certainly not an eyesore, just more noticeable than I anticipated. About the only area I'm not terribly thrilled with is the handle, and seeing as how I consider that such an important (and often overlooked) aspect of a knife design I'm a bit surprised by this one.

To start with it barely fits my hand, front to back. That's not necessarily a demerit though because my hands run larger than most, so I often have to contend with that very thing. What is more of an issue for me is the general shape. The exaggerated palm swell coupled to a thin tail section makes for a less than comfortable or secure feel. I much prefer my grip strength be spread out along the entirety of my hand, not focused in just the center. The scales are polished a bit too much for my liking as well; I prefer more of a bead blasted type of finish because it allows me to get a better grip. I've primarily found that with micarta though - it seems G10 is not finished that way by most companies - so I'm not completely surprised by how smooth these are (I ordered G10 because my experience indicates it to be a bit stronger and more stain resistant than micarta). For me perhaps the most unexpected thing is finding that the scales don't align flush with the tang anywhere. Running your finger perpendicular reveals a ridge no matter where you do it. It's actually so pronounced in some spots you can see the variation with the naked eye. I've noticed many positive comments about the Survive handles, but so far I'm not seeing it the same way myself. More time on the belt sander seems warranted for this example.

So in summation, my initial impressions - before any dirt time - are as follows... I think this is a very nice knife that features a lot of what I like in a design, but it could use some refinements in the next version. Chief among them is the handle, not only in the shape and (possibly) length but how the scales match up to the tang. Additionally, the finger groove really needs some rounding on the edges. Finally, it might be worth considering a sharp spine as an option (and before any of the inevitable "carry a striker" posts are made know that I do, but I also use the spine for more than that).

Last edited:
An honest assessment! You must have massive mits because I wear Med/large gloves and there is easily 3/4 of an inch of handle sticking out past my pinky. I took a pic but photobucket is giving me trouble. I can say that in use, Ive not had an issue with the index choil. I dont tightly grip with my index finger while using the choil. More like a thumb, middle, ring, pinky grip with the index in the choil to guide the cut. I also dont find the palm swell to feel too much like its in the center of my hand because it contacts th majority of my palm. It sounds to me like you are experiencing your handle feel negatively because you have sasquatch hands!!

Please dont take my post as criticism just pointing out a reason. If everyone was the same we would all wear the same shoe in the same size.

Got my 5.1 2nd today (in 20CV). Very sharp, slices newsprint easily. and I just could not find the reason why this one was a 2nd. It seems cosmetically perfect. I'm kinda with Jman on the comfort of the handle, though. It's not that it's small for me, but then again I don't have "sasquatch hands" (I wear either a M or L glove). It's more the contour of the handle. Seems too fat in the middle, to thin at the ends. And the choil is sharp, and feels kinda small. Of course, I'm in love with my ESEE6 with custom scales, it's the most comfortable knife I've ever held. So the 5.1 has some stiff competition in that regard. It just doesn't melt into my hand like I was expecting it to. It's like I was fighting it to get into a good grip position. Maybe I just have to get used to it. All in all, I'm not sure I'm going to hang on to this one.

Got my 5.1 2nd today (in 20CV). Very sharp, slices newsprint easily. and I just could not find the reason why this one was a 2nd. It seems cosmetically perfect. I'm kinda with Jman on the comfort of the handle, though. It's not that it's small for me, but then again I don't have "sasquatch hands" (I wear either a M or L glove). It's more the contour of the handle. Seems too fat in the middle, to thin at the ends. And the choil is sharp, and feels kinda small. Of course, I'm in love with my ESEE6 with custom scales, it's the most comfortable knife I've ever held. So the 5.1 has some stiff competition in that regard. It just doesn't melt into my hand like I was expecting it to. It's like I was fighting it to get into a good grip position. Maybe I just have to get used to it. All in all, I'm not sure I'm going to hang on to this one.

You might like the old model a bit better.

An honest assessment! You must have massive mits because I wear Med/large gloves and there is easily 3/4 of an inch of handle sticking out past my pinky. I took a pic but photobucket is giving me trouble. I can say that in use, Ive not had an issue with the index choil. I dont tightly grip with my index finger while using the choil. More like a thumb, middle, ring, pinky grip with the index in the choil to guide the cut. I also dont find the palm swell to feel too much like its in the center of my hand because it contacts th majority of my palm. It sounds to me like you are experiencing your handle feel negatively because you have sasquatch hands!!

Please dont take my post as criticism just pointing out a reason. If everyone was the same we would all wear the same shoe in the same size.

I understand that my hands are bigger than average, which is why I mentioned it up front (generally I fit into large gloves, but I do need XL's depending upon the cut). That's also why I don't necessarily consider it a negative when a knife is a tight fit, because it's not uncommon.

Here is what the 5.1 looks like in my hand, shot from overhead with the knife almost parallel with the floor. Grip strength is about what I would apply when using it for carving wood (sorry for the crappy pic).

Survive_GSO_5_1_In_Hand.jpg

As you can see, my index finger is firmly nestled in the guard and my pinky is right up against the pommel.

Sorry to hear that you two are not absolutely in love with the new handle!

Jman, I do appreciate your detailed write up. I like reading other's thoughts on SURVIVE! knives and you gave me plenty to read :thumbup:

Sorry to hear that you two are not absolutely in love with the new handle!

I could get to like it. I was messing around with it a bit, and it seems to be growing on me. Had the ESEE6 out, for comparison purposes, and it bit me! A nice little cut on the index finger. Guess it was a bit jealous:eek:

3V 5.1 Arrived!

Black and Orange Handles.

Indoor Photos -

Shown with Previous Issue 5.1 for comparison.

Will run it through the paces ASAP.

_0LRPsSIp9-2h-B0xJzu6saUpqRquDrHL0Nng39qKImSWQbpOvAS_ZcMiGhOvB0Sepgxyb43-KHj3uw6Y3wmR0Q-LkeVBQe5km-9rNEMLYgMClTPwpAr4Tv09jxpX2EENVJ0kH9EwPss9x-Z4otkHoMD-irJbH6rNWzQ-OBG7RVKUdAsaeUYGKtkQvznm54DqTCg49W4J1-K8cyyvw8oGdPOCmZHCrS6G2OFKZBAYWRQky8FAuFUQareteTZ1UIa9fMfd-AowqqkLVavTzYL3rq-QL_mOsK3yPLHAXXbMipsTtK9h_jokF9pP9gr5FjK_EgXA6Psbx23Vsi74hQvLnOwbztYHpTXUNvcGZCJWUQGXHDrgBrM2629PeWV1-foCzP1nlAJMAgLyMUH9i59WuMpohc9N_tyCFWc2Voo5Kb-jinBXm_hTQKRbSae-w5zwR-w32IucjvSADBezzG6eBrQD7o07Cq_xM4kN45RzGtrfkbtBczH1QasXr5KIf86tX4GJDhxulSucqzAs5A-6ffZO8GSTbmVMSRQglgyCeYrYgRCZIbruLTSmDyFn4qKE1M0WQ=w1920-h775-no

To2bDI6wo5O66z6UBQ0nQJBNCMF2VHT7eBENHXm9KH6xnPifPgudzDIHg19s_K1btlxoFwzVxDRaWVs_hbp4w_sx4GKLOMrseB-llVqDjEUIIvQCdUyFhbkMJeLI_C4dNS-oanZlQxH4_hnfRO4DStq2e9_JfzEqWhWmshjVwAeePkOhdsIeLV_1QEtghzkzZ4qIF48ij4XdVmgblXvlTwlZhPKV2MrP0OpuJTrPKOpwR63KGVvETpLiZhmLkLYlGs-nsw2OVm0hdTfSYbi1JVsj5YhRqbcC25sZJ7ANwdBsgPCteex4LFiZHFDjbDOgCJtvwZBfD5NQkc1ePpk68gS27jlSvr3JJ76lkm3jLsYrRQKWNFNQX4OdcypFehPAAhagRc6j13gBMDHc3zHrmQggEMIHPq9KKkgenZldpUJvNoWw1dz4RFph8SQWy35gT0aq97ccPiOvSZCffbOupRoER4sRwBfQ1kZyeapi4E-IUVkg7kgY5UfndMJ6MeP4-29vRefWyV7DJiEOlarBlMxFrkLZlBp9Q507tEnPmzq61iu4ZSJLF2Hu-IXDxjpDQQZs4Q=w1920-h704-no

rPJ0UiC1GNEgMXONOXWd-3EfeEVNmFUjjZr7UtZTAFw7VYd3Gr6Zz3EvkcBH7xX1AgC_0VIsxqxDbyboYcYywtLie6gqNBcR4gKgJcWML71mXEEmDq-ejEMelggCkf0Q-QqFI0swFq8id2JfvHbvfHdVbW-9FCH6M-OMA0G2jc4pBACbglApmffYyWrHDCN5FCTkiHkYX7MJmOJufBIs6C67P0i6-sowweNUZdvyZmn_sz18v4itPBpKlayd9xbtmJ0iwFlmK_HDMrWNFt_Ve1GrbNKurLdAVC5uGRuk7gN2gtO4wnAHjr4ZNYn3RHCjF1klEYRzRT_4DI21XbLSLr_7_KnGPJ0hFLdZrt66GxH0kF9C9jC7X_BpMLGhlsfuyJHE38AY7PARFA0nPz3C1g0oiusBAl_e99mmpaxFclFdCoCGBGw1yRsj3ELoJvPFvtR1mQzPawVhoKtrfwk9PnRW0kAg-_G6UnRea3Ej1P8TDv_S_0fi8EtfGzlh_z3ra4PsvqmyEPv_WROg3OSgFo2xxGW1XL5xhcZTXAQl13M6p6IH0GZPBTftLZHZu-gfiropiA=w1921-h850-no

That's so nice! Mine will be shipping soon. Ellie just emailed me to see if I still want to stick to the camo canvas as she is getting the knife built.

That tigerstripe looks really good Storm. That top shot where you can see the layers is cool.

I like the choil ! And for a normal knife grip I grab the handle at the front section, feels very good to me. A lot of the handles butt section sticks out which is the reserve for chopping. It's like eather a front or a back grip handle. I have medium sized hands by the way. Whole blade is flawless, handles are flush, very sharp out of the box. Still not sure if I got linen or G10 handles :) Should be black linen but looks sooo fine. Never mind ! Whatsoever it is, love it !

Storm, thanks for the pics. Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing more from you when you get out to use her.

I could get to like it. I was messing around with it a bit, and it seems to be growing on me. Had the ESEE6 out, for comparison purposes, and it bit me! A nice little cut on the index finger. Guess it was a bit jealous:eek:
Do you have TKC scales on your ESEE or something totally custom? If you get a chance I'd be interested in some comparison pics!

That's so nice! Mine will be shipping soon. Ellie just emailed me to see if I still want to stick to the camo canvas as she is getting the knife built.
YEEEEEAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the choil ! And for a normal knife grip I grab the handle at the front section, feels very good to me. A lot of the handles butt section sticks out which is the reserve for chopping. It's like eather a front or a back grip handle. I have medium sized hands by the way. Whole blade is flawless, handles are flush, very sharp out of the box. Still not sure if I got linen or G10 handles :) Should be black linen but looks sooo fine. Never mind ! Whatsoever it is, love it !
Great to hear how much you like it. Enjoy it!!!

It's always nice hearing people's opinions and views on their purchase. It helps others get a better perspective on the product. Love that tiger stripe pattern. Wish I can buy all the scales for the 5.1 and switch them around like I am playing Barbie doll for men.

Back