Who's gotten their 5.1 Starter?

Jman,

Sometime in the near future I have two Busse Team Gemini Minis coming in. Hang onto your 5.1 till they get here. I will take some shots of the TGm in my hand and next to a 5.1. I am thinking the TGM handle is going to be massive compared to what I prefer and if so one of them is going on the exchange. I ordered two because I couldnt figure out what color to get. Even though the knife is probably going to be bigger than I would normally like, I love the walking dead and Daryl's Knife and thought the Team Gemini was gone for good.

Do you have TKC scales on your ESEE or something totally custom? If you get a chance I'd be interested in some comparison pics!

OK, here are a few shots. In the first, I outlined the area that seems to be giving me the most discomfort, that vertical swell. I know, it doesn't look all that different than the ESEE contour, but I think the thinness of the fore and aft areas of the handle accentuate it a bit more. The ESEE handle seems to flow from one to the other, without such an abrupt transition. The handle length is not a problem really, but the contours just feel strange to me. And the ESEE micarta is from LMF Joe, who posts a lot on the ESEE forum. A great guy, and makes amazing scales.

[URL=http://s437.photobucket.com/user/raindog101/media/20160301_183102_zpsjdrkmzj8.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s437.photobucket.com/user/raindog101/media/45b36f96-8aed-41f0-9456-19c5d9fe97a3_zpsmpmth06j.jpg.html][/URL]

You might like the old model a bit better.

You're probably right. I haven't handled many of the old models, but the ones I have I've liked just fine. I suppose if anyone has an older GSO to trade, I'd be open to discussing.

OK, here are a few shots. In the first, I outlined the area that seems to be giving me the most discomfort, that vertical swell. I know, it doesn't look all that different than the ESEE contour, but I think the thinness of the fore and aft areas of the handle accentuate it a bit more. The ESEE handle seems to flow from one to the other, without such an abrupt transition. The handle length is not a problem really, but the contours just feel strange to me. And the ESEE micarta is from LMF Joe, who posts a lot on the ESEE forum. A great guy, and makes amazing scales.

You should look at the BELLY rather than the spine, since that is where the hump/swell is troubling you :) The GSO handle cross-section is somewhat tear-drop shaped, tapering toward the belly much like the shape made by a hand in hammer-grip. I'd bet the ESEE is much less tapered, just rounded, giving a wider platform to your finger-pads as they wrap around....

This would not be ideal, as it would make the kydex sheath unusable without modification... but have you considered handle liners? I did this to my 1st-run GSO-10. Have you held a Swamp Rat Rodent 9 or a Busse TGLB?

Liners would probably help me in some areas, like the tail section, but in the palm area I fear they would only exacerbate the problem. In the end it would probably just be a wider version of what it is now, which doesn't necessarily fit my paws all that well.

Another thought, have you done the "dough" test? Take a fistful of dough and simply clench it into a comfortable hammer-grip (thumb reaching just over the nail of the index-finger)? If you do this, and cut/shape the finger-side of the dough to be roughly symmetrical with the palm-side, you can get an excellent measurement of your ideal handle circumference in both the swell and the index, as well as an idea of the ideal swell-length. It sounds like this GSO-5.1 handle is a little too thin and short for your hand.

Nope, haven't done anything like this. It's an interesting concept though, and for someone like me it probably does have merit. Wish I had done that before spending two and a half bills on the custom BHK knife. :)

The swell and spine-curvature actually act to better distribute your grip-strength along your entire hand rather than forcing your thenar and hypothenar groups to endure the effort ... but only if they properly fill your hand, otherwise you might as well be holding a broomstick.

Because of my particular circumstances the broomstick style of handle tends to be more comfortable. I also use what may ultimately prove to be a tighter grip then other folks do, which is partially due to the fact I sweat more than most. I try to keep my blades stupid sharp, so the last thing I want is to lose my grip (and subsequently a finger in the process).

By the way, pics of your GSO-5.1 vs Fletcher or a Utility-Tool blade? Very interested in a comparison..... before you send it off.

The 5.1 is not going anywhere right now - I want to get it in the field before I make a final decision. Since I live in the NW corner of NJ that means I should be heading out for my first trip in the not to distant future, black bears permitting (when they first come out of hibernation it can lead to encounters I'd rather avoid - don't ask me how I know that :eek:).

I can certainly snap a picture of all three blades, provided it's not considered inappropriate. I don't want to breach forum etiquette and take this thread OT by posting non-Survive knives.

Where in NW NJ are you? I have family in West Milford.

Where in NW NJ are you? I have family in West Milford.

About an hour SW of there, in a sleepy little hamlet called Belvidere. I'm around 20 minutes south of the Warren/Sussex county border. Most of my time in the woods would be in those two counties and in the NE corner of PA. If you have family in the area then you know all too well about the black bears around these parts. Calling them 'curious' would be an understatement. :p Since firearms are (sadly) frowned upon in NJ you need to be armed with your wits instead because Yogi tends to be rather persistent when hungry, so make sure you're on your toes!

Actually I just find myself weird for not liking the handle on the RMD as much as many of you here. I think I am weird one here.
I also am not in love with RMD handles. I have 3. They are to thin without liners. To tall and thin... These handles look more ergonomic. I can't wait to put a caliper on them and compare to Nathan handles and the new Busse ergo handles.

Another thought, have you done the "dough" test? Take a fistful of dough and simply clench it into a comfortable hammer-grip (thumb reaching just over the nail of the index-finger)? If you do this, and cut/shape the finger-side of the dough to be roughly symmetrical with the palm-side, you can get an excellent measurement of your ideal handle circumference in both the swell and the index, as well as an idea of the ideal swell-length. .

If you are low on sugar cookie mix, I'd suggest this stuff, great for modeling out handles

8b8327c8eb03e3bb8ff343c143154ccc.jpg

You can find it at most craft stores and supposedly dries hard

About an hour SW of there, in a sleepy little hamlet called Belvidere. I'm around 20 minutes south of the Warren/Sussex county border. Most of my time in the woods would be in those two counties and in the NE corner of PA. If you have family in the area then you know all too well about the black bears around these parts. Calling them 'curious' would be an understatement. :p Since firearms are (sadly) frowned upon in NJ you need to be armed with your wits instead because Yogi tends to be rather persistent when hungry, so make sure you're on your toes!

Ey! I have family in Stewartsville. Super close! Given where you are do you ever go to Musikfest over in Bethlehem? And yes that area tends to be quite a bear-heavy place.

Photobucket works again!

Heres my little girly hand with a new 5.1

This is interesting, there's not a ton of difference, at least for me, in the length between the old and the new 5.1. I think it's 1/2 an inch or less but it's the contouring of the scales that make the difference. I've got large/xl palms and short fingers..here is my new and old 5.1.

New 5.1

Old 5.1

You're probably right. I haven't handled many of the old models, but the ones I have I've liked just fine. I suppose if anyone has an older GSO to trade, I'd be open to discussing.

Guy has 3 of my 5.1s that he's sharpening. Not sure when I'll get them back, maybe with my 4.7, but I'll have a almost new condition old gen 5.1 in 20cv that I'll trade you when I get it back.

Last edited:
Is this an old spec 5.1 with a peened finish? or is it just coated? (also noticed the logos were missing? was it modded?) haha you got me all curious now

It's a DLC in flat earth numbered, #189 5.1. On my first visit to the shop in PA a little over 2 years ago, I asked Guy about the 5.1 and he handed me the one above. He said it was one of his test knives for the new DLC coatings. He sold it to me later that day. The logos, flag and the 189 are there you just have to look at it in the right light. I didn't realize it was numbered until I had it for a few months.

It's a DLC in flat earth numbered, #189 5.1. On my first visit to the shop in PA a little over 2 years ago, I asked Guy about the 5.1 and he handed me the one above. He said it was one of his test knives for the new DLC coatings. He sold it to me later that day. The logos, flag and the 189 are there you just have to look at it in the right light. I didn't realize it was numbered until I had it for a few months.

that's pretty dang cool! thanks for filling us/me in!

Not that. I was kind of worried after looking at the latest color for the camo canvas and wrote to Ellie to see if they can change all my scales color for all the knives in the waiting list. That was a few weeks ago and so Ellie emailed to ask if I would like to do the changes.

That's very cool. I wish I could change mine to bone. Maybe I will just have to order a set of scales separate and hope for the best

Back