Who's gotten their 5.1 Starter?

Guy has 3 of my 5.1s that he's sharpening. Not sure when I'll get them back, maybe with my 4.7, but I'll have a almost new condition old gen 5.1 in 20cv that I'll trade you when I get it back.

Sent you a PM.

Even though I waited til the presale to buy my 5.1, I just got dinged and should have her in my hands by Wednesday. Now the wait for the 4.7!

Ey! I have family in Stewartsville. Super close! Given where you are do you ever go to Musikfest over in Bethlehem?

Stewartsville is 20-25 minutes from me, so that is very close indeed. I've been to Musikfest 3 times now. I love the way they shut down that part of town and you can just roam the streets freely, staggering from one pub and stage to another! :p

And yes that area tends to be quite a bear-heavy place.

We've had an abnormally warm winter as well, so I'm a bit leery about when to head out the first time. They may be exiting their dens sooner than normal.

Any of the pre-sale 3V 5.1's going out yet?

Guy left us with a few blades for those orders. They shipped out yesterday. The remaining pre-sale orders will go out next week. He has them all finished, so he just needs to get them sharpened.

All those poor lonely knives just waiting for Guy's sharpening magic.
The thought of them makes me weep. It reminds me of orphans waiting for adoption.

That's about what my hand looks like on the new version, so I can sympathize with ya.

The old handles are fine and fit me well. I've used them for over 2 years without any issues, discomfort or hot spots. In some cases I have worn the micarta smooth. Anyway, the meaning of my post was the new handles aren't that much longer but the new contouring on the handles make them even more comfortable. The new length also makes the 5.1 a bit more balanced than the old one. I can balance the new 5.1 behind the guard verses directly under or the guard on the old 5.1. It's a subtle difference but changes the feel of the knife.

The old handles are fine and fit me well. I've used them for over 2 years without any issues, discomfort or hot spots. In some cases I have worn the micarta smooth. Anyway, the meaning of my post was the new handles aren't that much longer but the new contouring on the handles make them even more comfortable. The new length also makes the 5.1 a bit more balanced than the old one. I can balance the new 5.1 behind the guard verses directly under or the guard on the old 5.1. It's a subtle difference but changes the feel of the knife.

I love that comment about balance. That is something not talked about a lot in written or video reviews, but it is a BIG deal to me and feel and enjoyment of a knife.

I love that comment about balance. That is something not talked about a lot in written or video reviews, but it is a BIG deal to me and feel and enjoyment of a knife.

I have to admit that is something I should have been concerned about. I'm glad it seems to balance better.

I bought a Tops B.O.B for a trip through the redwoods a year and a half ago. So many people had pointed me towards that knife. After that trip, I threw it in a box and never looked at it again. The balance on that knife was the worst I had ever experienced. How that design made it to production, I will never know. But I learned a valuable lesson.... Balance matters

Just to put it out there, the old 5.1 is a well balanced knife. The new knife feels a little better.

I had a B.O.B. too as well as a Tops Outpost Command and I got rid both after I got my 5 and 5.1.

Just to put it out there, the old 5.1 is a well balanced knife. The new knife feels a little better.

I had a B.O.B. too as well as a Tops Outpost Command and I got rid both after I got my 5 and 5.1.

Yea I had no doubt it was balanced enough

Ellie was kind enough to email me and accept my request to change scale options. What a Gal. And Guy.... What a guy. Hehe.

Sounds like things are really picking up from the email update they sent out. Good news, good news. Just in time for spring, ya'll :)

Well, I got a shipping notification yesterday. Pretty stoked! Except, it shipped from Idaho, I am in Utah, and USPS says the item arrived in Spokane, Wa last night, and is now out for delivery to destination.

.... Oh boy [emoji848] I hope that's a big, confusing detour. Heh.

Last edited:
Do not fear... Kellogg is close to Spokane, probably the UPS hub. I am in Colorado and had the same sequence. Although Spokane to anywhere in Utah does seem like a long drive....

The wait's a killer, ain't it?!

Yeah, Spokane is a hub for sure, don't let that worry you. Congrats on having steel in transit!

I was stoked when Survive! came into Idaho, but now I have to pay state sales tax on orders!! Maybe I can coax Guy and Ellie into moving to Ontario Oregon. That's just across the river from me, even though out of state :D

Back