Who's wants to see a ffg version of the gso series?

Who would like to see a full flat grind version on the gso series? Similar to the ESEE ffg geometry. Especially knowing survive uses great steel I think better geometry would suit real world users better.

Another beckerhead!

The mystique of the saber ground bk16 made me really appreciate the GSO 4.1 when I stumbled upon SURVIVE! I just really like the look and certain aspects of a saber grind, BUT if Ethan Becker says that a full flat grind is better for his current bk16, then I can't argue with that.

The ESEE 6 I have never really connected with me, but my bk16 is my favorite full flat grind knife. I think it would be pretty cool to see a S!K take on a ffg.

With a name like SURVIVE! it's not surprising a big focus on most current designs has been towards indestructibility in any situation. Some of the newer, recent designs, like the 4.5, are definitely moving towards what I think you're looking for. Maybe someday we will see a FULL flat grind.

Ide like a full flat 5.1. But the saber grond was chosen for a reason.

It'll never happen. I'm sure I recall hearing that it doesn't fit in with the whole strong survival knife thing.

The 4.5 is a design I wouldn't have seen coming before the new spec line was released. There's been a small step towards designs focused more on cutting and less on survival.

Even if a full flat grind isn't put into production it can be fun to talk about. We get hypothetical with designs some times!

A saber grind with thinner stock accomplishes the same thing that a full flat does with thicker stock.
It reduces the amount of wedging that occurs when cutting by reducing the cross section behind the edge.
If you want to pop out chips when you chop or if you want to split with the grain you need the wedging action.
If you want to slice you want a thinner cross section that passes through more easily.
Chasing the dream of the universal blade (that both chops and slices) is what the tracker blade profile is supposed to do.
I think that the end result is pretty funny looking, and I'd rather carry two knives.

Back