Whould Spyderco Make A Japanese Katana Type of Sword or Knife?

GatorFlash1

Gold Member
Just curious because there is quite a bit of discussion about Damascus blades in another BF forum.

Just curious because there is quite a bit of discussion about Damascus blades in another BF forum.

Likely not a sword. The Lum-style tanto has made several fixed and folding iterations. The Kumo was a cord-wrapped fixed blade.

Not sure what that's to do with Damascus steel. Spyderco has used various Damascus or Damasteel options on many knives.

We've thought about it, but there are many out there doing it. If we did it, it would have to be really "right" steel, heat treat, etc. Which would make it expensive, which would limit sales. I've thought about a modern Wakizashi, but the market is pretty saturated with inexpensive pieces and I don't think we could compete favorably.

sal

We've thought about it, but there are many out there doing it. If we did it, it would have to be really "right" steel, heat treat, etc. Which would make it expensive, which would limit sales. I've thought about a modern Wakizashi, but the market is pretty saturated with inexpensive pieces and I don't think we could compete favorably.

sal

It would be pretty hard to top the beauty of the Lum fixed tanto.

It would be pretty hard to top the beauty of the Lum fixed tanto.

Speaking of which, I'm feeling a sprint run in polished black G10 and Elmax. Or CPM154 to match the Darn Dao.

sal

Sal, would that be a bit like the Darn Dao? I know that one was a little bit of a labor of love. I'm really glad you made them even though they are a pretty penny, I own two, and they are just wonderful pieces. Would just about break my arm pulling out my credit card for a matching Lum fixed tanto sprint, Stalker, or large tanto/wakizashi.

Speaking of which, I'm feeling a sprint run in polished black G10 and Elmax. Or CPM154 to match the Darn Dao.
... Would just about break my arm pulling out my credit card for a matching Lum fixed tanto sprint, Stalker, or large tanto/wakizashi.

Yes please. Any top-tier steel. The only reason I passed on the previous Lum fixed tantos was the steel (VG10). Make it in s90V please, or even 10V. Or 4V / van 4e. Something with excellent edge-holding. I think a spyderco quality sword would be too costly to sell well (not sure how well the Darn Dao did, but as nice as they looked, too rich for me).

Yes please. Any top-tier steel. The only reason I passed on the previous Lum fixed tantos was the steel (VG10). Make it in s90V please, or even 10V. Or 4V / van 4e. Something with excellent edge-holding. I think a spyderco quality sword would be too costly to sell well (not sure how well the Darn Dao did, but as nice as they looked, too rich for me).

It was the price that did it on the Darn Dao. High interest, high fit and finish. Sal said he mostly made them as a labor of love, and that it would probably never be efficient to try and sell something like that again, but he just wanted to make the design. They're still in stock most places, the price hike last year did it no favors, making it hit $425.

I'd still like to see what they can do with a sprint Lum tanto. With something that size maybe it would be under the KO sticker shock range. Make it in a steel that has a strong following but that is not going to kill the price - Cruwear?

I'd still like to see what they can do with a sprint Lum tanto. With something that size maybe it would be under the KO sticker shock range. Make it in a steel that has a strong following but that is not going to kill the price - Cruwear?

I wouldn't buy one that wasn't stainless, but the Lum fixed tanto would probably be $250 retail, I think.

That's an incredible idea. Imagine the edge on a Spyderco Wakizashi?! I'd buy one sight unseen. Heck, I'd kick $ towards a Kickstarter campaign for it. Man, it'd be one wicked functional piece of art.

sal
Absolutely correct! I have three Barry Dawson units - not cheap and I had to design wooden sheaths for my application and find a Japanese sheath maker. You simply do not use quality swords to hack even straw targets. Here is a video of a master swordsman.
To the untrained eye, it is boring because he is not slicing things up. In reality, when you examine his movements, they are fluid, disciplined and if he struck, it would be devastating. Now just how many guys are going the spend the money and time?

Back