Why am I drawn to this?

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
Are there any knives you find yourself drawn to for reasons you're not too sure of ?
Maybe knives you know are less practical but you like them anyway?

lately I've really been drawn to the classic office knife, theres even a nice German clip point + spey example I've been eyeing.
I do not know why this version of the classic pen pattern appeals to me so much, but theres a simple elegance that just draws me in.

Another big one for me is sabre ground clip blades, especially early New York single blade folding hunters.
Larger than I prefer in a pocket knife these days, and the sabre grind doesn't cut that well but they're so nice looking.

Thats my relationship with Trappers. Highly impractical for my needs but I love them anyway. Large, heavy in pocket, Spey blade which sees no use. Doesn’t matter, I like them for reasons I can’t ascertain and I finally got around to buying one, no justification needed.

I typically won’t buy a knife unless it fits a certain criteria making it practical for me to carry, but I’m done with that. If I like it, I get it. :thumbsup:

I immediately thought of the large folding hunters as well. I've bought several of them through the years from Case, Schrade (& Schrade-Walden) and Queen, knowing full well they're too big for me to find practical for my uses. But I've always liked the aesthetics of them, and the feel in-hand. I'm similarly drawn to the Buck 110 Folding Hunter, also being fully aware they're a little too big & bulky for my needs. But I have quite a few of those as well.

I've also liked the classic looks of the large toothpick-style patterns, but again they're not practical for what I actually need.

Last edited:
I am drawn to traditional Spanish navajas like this:
T6fBCc2.jpg

Hard to tote, though, without freaking people out.

I also like the long Sardinian knives.
KmlMvRE.jpg

I'm sort of that way, too.... right now it's the Case folding hunter. I like the looks of them, and would like to have one, but I'm not sure if or when I'd actually carry one. I already have a few large knives, like the 23, the Queen Mountain Man, and a very nice Buck 110 in S30V... still.....

The mention of fixed blades got me to thinking.

I think the very first knife I bought purely for the aesthetics was a stag-handled Puma Original Bowie, model 6396 in PUMASTER steel. Bought that one back in the early '80s (it's an '81 model) at a cutlery shop in the mall, simply because I thought it was stunningly beautiful. Had no earthly use for it, but had to have it. I still have it now and I take it out to admire it once in a while. My impression of the classic perfection of that knife has never changed, even after almost 40 years.

I also have a Master Series Buck 119 in BG-42 steel that I bought essentially for the same reasons. The styling of the 119 is iconic and these knives also feel perfect in-hand. Even more so, with the green checkered grip on the Master Series version. I used to have one of the standard 119s with the smooth black phenolic handle. That one was stolen in a burglary of my home, years ago. I miss that one too. I replaced it with that Master Series knife, finding a good deal on the 'Bay and pouncing on it. :)

Yeah, I got a pile of fixed blades that I will probably never use. I just don't have the opportunity to carry them. I have a nice collection of JK (John Kiedaisch) fixed blade knives. They are about indestructible. Again, I don't carry them, but I can't stop acquiring them.

Very interesting.
I do have some belt knives like the 119 or Ontario 498 that are larger than practical for my carry needs , but the smaller more modest bird and trout's are favored EDC knives.
Some of the larger ones sure do have more appeal though.

Are there any knives you find yourself drawn to for reasons you're not too sure of ?
Maybe knives you know are less practical but you like them anyway?
Are you implying that sensibleness and practicality are factors that some people actually consider when purchasing a knife, or choosing one to carry? That has never been the case with me, and I am frankly offended that you think it could be.:D:D

One arm blades, I have two arms. I do carry the ones I have however and occasionally do use the one hand opening feature. I think it first intrigued me with the Case barlow I picked up,shown here with a little Boker one arm
qSXBu7U.jpg

Although the Boker needed the blade modded to actually function as a one arm:rolleyes:
Most of you probably know of my infatuation with this workhorse
4U2KEJs.jpg

And of course I've added this one recently
OQ53TY6.jpg

:thumbsup:

Well I just couldn't pass this one up, I don't even know who made it but I just had to have it. ( apparently the seller acquired a whole case of them, but that had no manufacturer on it either )

They're very practical so that's not the issue, but I just don't know what it is about them that appeals to me.

Last edited:
I'm sort of that way, too.... right now it's the Case folding hunter. I like the looks of them, and would like to have one, but I'm not sure if or when I'd actually carry one. I already have a few large knives, like the 23, the Queen Mountain Man, and a very nice Buck 110 in S30V... still.....
d2r1Rex.jpg

like this one? It's a really nice CV model. I have a thing for large folding hunters, got a couple two blade models by Schrade and Camillus, picked this one up on a whim from the exchange. Never will carry any of them and have had my fun with this one handling and admiring it. It's your now, instant GAW :)

Anza knives. You don’t hear much about them. They have a few adherents, but not a lot of overt fans. When I bought my first one forty years ago, I knew nothing about knives. Maybe that is what allowed me to like them.

I bought a few of the smaller ones, because I could afford them. The ergonomics really appealed to me, and I found them quite comfortable in hand. A couple of the bigger ones appealed to me, but 200 bucks was way beyond what I was willing to pay for a knife.

Within the last couple of years, I found one of the bigger ones, the Dune Field, at a price that seemed too good to be true. With my eyes wide open, I took a chance. The seller proved to be slow and uncommunicative. A complaint to Paypal finally jarred the knife loose. It felt so good in hand that I went looking for its larger cousin, and found it in the hands of another dodgy-sounding operator in Israel. He took my lowball offer, and sent me a knife with a weirdly uneven grind.

I have absolutely no use for these knives, I just like them.

Last edited:
d2r1Rex.jpg

like this one? It's a really nice CV model. I have a thing for large folding hunters, got a couple two blade models by Schrade and Camillus, picked this one up on a whim from the exchange. Never will carry any of them and have had my fun with this one handling and admiring it. It's your now, instant GAW :)
I just found out I've been gifted this knife.... I've always been amazed at the sense of "family" among porch members, and now this? What a great place the porch is...

Back