Why are Buck custom knives not dated?

I have a few Buck knives I have ordered from the custom shop and have always wondered why these knives are never documented for when they were made? I understand the date code is never stamped on customs, and instead Buck uses the anvil stamp, but would it hurt them to at least mark the date or year on the Certificate of Authenticity? There is a signed line by the craftsman who worked on your knife, a signature by CJ Buck and I think it would be great to utilize that spot for a date there. Something like: 01/01/2020. Instead it's just a useless piece of paper that tells me a name of someone I will never know and Buck will probably not have record of 30 years from now. I collect firearms and watches as well and even special limited editions I am able to find out the year they were manufactured. These knives are collected by so many of us and the only way I am able to keep track is by printing out emails of when the orders went in. If I plan to resell I don't want to have to include those email's with my address and personal info. Anyone else agree on this?

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree. Buck started with the anvil/CUSTOM marking in 2002 for limited editions but you could always look them up in either the catalog or special projects lists if you did not have the original box. It is a problem with the current "a la cart" menu driven custom shop because as one offs there is no independent listing. It is just one more step for the person signing it to also date it and would be so much more helpful.

I don't want a date code on my custom knives. But thats me. I dont want any markings with the exception of the Anvil as a designated custom.20200913_095453.jpg 20200719_155346.jpg 20200715_163253.jpg 20200223_094647.jpg

Last edited:
What I can't understand is how I can buy a standard factory 110 for less and the date (month/day/year) is printed on the box as well as the date code stamped on the knife, but a custom lacks both. To me this is a lack of attention to detail. One of the factors about collecting knives is knowing what year it was made.

would it hurt them to at least mark the date or year on the Certificate of Authenticity? There is a signed line by the craftsman who worked on your knife, a signature by CJ Buck and I think it would be great to utilize that spot for a date there. Something like: 01/01/2020. Instead it's just a useless piece of paper that tells me a name of someone I will never know and Buck will probably not have record of 30 years from now. the only way I am able to keep track is by printing out emails of when the orders went in. If I plan to resell I don't want to have to include those email's with my address and personal info. Anyone else agree on this?

As the original purchaser of the Custom Shop knife, can't you keep the receipt/invoice or whatever you want to call it that Buck sends with every order, blacken out any Credit/Debit card info, house and street number, phone number or whatever other information you don't want any potential future buyer or owner to have? If/When you sell the knife send that documentation (which includes date and order number) to whoever buys the knife.
Presumably, the Custom Shop knife will be removed from the box and displayed. There might even be a (slim) possibility of it being carried and used.
You could fold up the invoice, and store it in the box. (which would also ensure the knife goes with the correct original box and COA)

Whether or not that person includes the documentation (and presumably the correct box, un-used original sheath, and COA which you unquestionably sent with the knife, anyway ... requested or not) when he or she (or their heir) sells it, is on them, not you.

I agree with date the Certificate but not the knife.
But then paperwork is easy to change/ forge.

However I don't buy my knives for "investment" purposes.
I believe that thinking is folly.
Buy what you love and the value will never matter.

In the case of Old Custom shop knifes most, but not all, received a CS number that can be used to date the knife and list the features it left Buck with. That paper COA and number can really add to the value and/or desirability much the same as more common Bucks now sell for a bit more with all the paperwork, shieth and box it originally came with. It's not just the date on the tang. A perfect example is the brief window the CS 112's were available a dozen years ago. Only little more than a hundred were ordered and the paperwork for them is particularly important. At least to me lol! Just save the package invoice in the shipping box with the original box. But I agree that Buck could easily put the born on date on the COA insert.

My opinion won’t be popular. I think the obsession with dates and boxes is silly.

The knife is what it is, no matter when it was made. The box is just packing material.

You can order the same custom knife every year for 10 years in a row. They will all be exactly the same regardless of which one was made when, and they all have the same value.

Randall knives are custom made to whatever specs you want, maybe not a true custom, but much more options available than Buck offers. They aren’t dated and they come wrapped in construction paper in an unmarked brown box. Every Randall goes up in value by at least $25 every January 1st when they have their price increase.

Last edited:
I don't think it would hurt any to write the purchase date on the back of the COA and maybe where it was purchased from.

You can order the same custom knife every year for 10 years in a row. They will all be exactly the same regardless of which one was made when, and they all have the same value.
I don't think that's entirely true. If I remember 10 years ago Buck use to have sambar stag and ram's horn as options in the custom shop. These are no longer available. And I don't own any Randall's but of the knife brands I do collect, which are Buck, Boker, Case, and GEC, it seems like dates do matter to the collector.

This is one reason why I’m not a collector. Boxes, papers, dates and value are stress inducers and I don’t want more stress. I have accumulated more than I will ever wear out, around 60, and I enjoy using knives and seeing my kids and grandkids using them. I expect my knives will depreciate over time and usage but I’m getting my money’s worth in satisfaction by using them doing other things I enjoy. That’s value to me! Then I can pass them on to others for them to use and they will get value from them. Money or worth in dollars don’t come close to the value of a load of memories, hunts, camping, fishing, cooking and whittling a chunk of wood among several other ways of using a great Buck knife! Dates? Yeah I’ll remember the time we went camping and fishing, cooking the fish on a campfire and making feather sticks to watch them burn, or the deer hunt and skinning them with our Buck knives.

Back