• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

WHY ARE SO MANY KNIVES OUT OF STOCK?

I have been trying for weeks to buy a new knife.
Pro Tech, Guardian Tactical,etc all out of stock on my go to sites.
Why?

these makers, ya mentioned, do runs of models and so many at a time. when they are gone they are gone until they make another batch. which could be awhile. microtech is like this as well. it's not a new thing. been this way for a long time now.

Like Sharpoholic said...It keeps the demand up so folks will want them even more, because they're so hard to get. Unfortunately it keeps the secondary market through the roof with people knowing that most times people will pay a premium in order to aquire them. I was a sucker for it in the beginning of my collection addiction. But once I had a bunch of different knives I became like meh who cares. I have learned to enjoy the ones I actually have and start focusing on sharpening and maintaining them. But like always your mileage may vary! Good luck with the hunt!

Build Back Better/Supply Chain.

Same issues I'm running into trying to find certain building materials....which btw, have doubled in price under this new, "Build Back Better" promise we the people have been given......

View attachment 2140056
Do explain your statement in the context of knife manufacturers being unable to keep up with the high demand of people wanting to throw too much of their money at them.

Do explain your statement in the context of knife manufacturers being unable to keep up with the high demand of people wanting to throw too much of their money at them.
I guess we're going there. I got a bunch of takes. Just trying to decide on alphabetical order or one that'll cause the biggest freak out.

Because, more non knife people are becoming knife people and buying up the knives that would be available for us few knife people just because they think it’s the latest fad. It looks like a fad that has been going on for a while. Even though I’ve got more knives than I’ll ever use in two life times, it pisses me off to see knives out of stock that I want. Damn social media and people thinking they need a good knife :mad:
I guess those of us ( the 1 %)that have helped make the market what it is today doesn’t have much of a chance anymore. If people would just stick to buying the clam pack knives that are everywhere, we’d have a selection to choose from.

Because, more non knife people are becoming knife people and buying up the knives that would be available for us few knife people just because they think it’s the latest fad. It looks like a fad that has been going on for a while. Even though I’ve got more knives than I’ll ever use in two life times, it pisses me off to see knives out of stock that I want. Damn social media and people thinking they need a good knife :mad:
I guess those of us ( the 1 %)that have helped make the market what it is today doesn’t have much of a chance anymore. If people would just stick to buying the clam pack knives that are everywhere, we’d have a selection to choose from.
Lucky for them tattoo ink is still in plentiful supply. 🤣

I guess we're going there. I got a bunch of takes. Just trying to decide on alphabetical order or one that'll cause the biggest freak out.
Or like some people here you could constantly post your closeted political rants outside of the political subforum. Bonus points if you include photos and/or totally off topic youtube links!

But seriously, this isn't all that complicated. Many high end knives are in short supply because of high demand. People are having no problem shelling out big bucks for luxury pocket jewelry. Manufacturers can't make things fast enough.

Does anyone remember when Spyderco couldn't make enough PM2s? Seemed for almost 2 years you could not find them in stock and the secondary market was the only place. It took awhile but Spyderco expanded their manufacturing capacity to keep up with demand.

Doesn't look like the luxury market is cooling. Fortunately we live in a time when there seems to be a new company starting up to make knives all the time. You may need to expand your taste to get a piece of that pocket luxury everybody wants but there are plenty of options out there.

Or like some people here you could constantly post your closeted political rants outside of the political subforum. Bonus points if you include photos and/or totally off topic youtube links!

But seriously, this isn't all that complicated. Many high end knives are in short supply because of high demand. People are having no problem shelling out big bucks for luxury pocket jewelry. Manufacturers can't make things fast enough.

Does anyone remember when Spyderco couldn't make enough PM2s? Seemed for almost 2 years you could not find them in stock and the secondary market was the only place. It took awhile but Spyderco expanded their manufacturing capacity to keep up with demand.

Doesn't look like the luxury market is cooling. Fortunately we live in a time when there seems to be a new company starting up to make knives all the time. You may need to expand your taste to get a piece of that pocket luxury everybody wants but there are plenty of options out there.
I know one thing for sure. People are demanding to see a lot of pictures of me kayaking when I'm explaining how awful PayPal is. Definitely do not have "Main Character Syndrome".
cover4.jpg

Do you have the current production numbers compared to previous years? How do we know more are being sold rather than less are being produced?

Do you have the current production numbers compared to previous years? How do we know more are being sold rather than less are being produced?
I don't, do you know? Because this is the first I've heard anyone suggest that to be the source of this issue. And not just now, but ever. You think Pro-tech is producing less right now than say, the height of the pandemic? Before then? One or two years ago? Less compared to when? You should contact them if you really want an answer.

I get what you are trying to do but these sort of threads are all pure speculation, no one knows the numbers for these private companies. If you want to buy into the crackpot political rant theory posited by the lunatic poster I quoted, good luck! Might want to check his post history. Or....let's go with the most likely scenario here. Things aren't that bad and demand is simply out pacing supply on these high end luxury goods.

I know one thing for sure. People are demanding to see a lot of pictures of me kayaking when I'm explaining how awful PayPal is. Definitely do not have "Main Character Syndrome".
cover4.jpg
The hand on the neck is just perfect.

I don't, do you know? Because this is the first I've heard anyone suggest that to be the source of this issue. And not just now, but ever. You think Pro-tech is producing less right now than say, the height of the pandemic? Before then? One or two years ago? Less compared to when? You should contact them if you really want an answer.

I get what you are trying to do but these sort of threads are all pure speculation, no one knows the numbers for these private companies. If you want to buy into the crackpot political rant theory posited by the lunatic poster I quoted, good luck! Might want to check his post history. Or....let's go with the most likely scenario here. Things aren't that bad and demand is simply out pacing supply on these high end luxury goods.
Lol ok. I'm not buying into anything political. Your assumption was that demand is high and production has remained at least the same and that is why they are not in stock. That may be the case I do not know. I am not in the knife industry.
However material and labor shortages have affected many industries and the ability to get products to market.
It could be companies are having a hard time acquiring raw materials to turn into knives.

* after rereading I noticed your last sentence I realized we ha e came to the same conclusion from two different ends lol. Yes clearly demand out paces supply because they are not in stock

Last edited:
id laugh react at that, but they seemed to have taken reactions away from here.

Back