Why are some people so biased on Cold Steel?

Lynn Thompson's marketing-strategy is quite-simple. Give working-class people and serious-pros, the strongest affordable knives on-the-planet. For the most cost-effective price. The blades do what, they say they can do. Performing under uncompromising, serious conditions. In other words, they can 'cut-the-mustard'. I own a 4 Max, and an AD-10, and there are not too-many production-knives that can go toe-to-toe with these two. All my knives serve double-duty, as an augment to my primary-arm, usually a handgun. I rely on my own experience, and research. If you don't like Cold Steel, or Lynn Thompson who cares! Buy, and use what you prefer.

Well I have to agree with this.
CS offers amazing performance for amazing price. And their products actually do what they're intended to do and what they're marketed to be capable of.

Another reason is the fact that CS isn't hiding the fact that knives can be used as a weapon. While I've seen other manufacturers marketing tactical blades as survival or even bushcraft knives...

I have seen a similar thing in the dog training world when an individual was the first to bring an everyman mass market machine to the public. The individual hit the right note with the market and got internationally massive. It did not go well with the temple cats.

This is the same thing but in knife world.

I am not a cold steel fan. I can’t stand the marketing and the titles they give their knives. I will agree with everyone here in that the price to performance ratio is unmatched. I am an Andrew Demko fan. Let’s not forget he designed the triad lock (and many of their most popular knives). If he didn’t work for cold steel I don’t believe they would have the same level of popularity. Just my opinion of course and I am not here to troll as I stated above, you cannot buy a better folding knife for the money.

Personally I love the triad lock. Every-once in a while I play with the axis lock and some other benchmade knives do look great. I think I keep coming back to cold steel is because I can trust my life with them. The axis lock is fun to play with but I could never trust my life with it. Cold Steel makes knives that are strong tools, I think people are sad that they spend 200$ on other knives that can't hold up to light work.

Honestly can you ever imaging thrusting folding knife into anything unless it is a cold steel triad lock? Other knife locks honestly suck. Other folding knives will literally fold on your hand and cut your fingers.

Last edited:
Personally I love the triad lock. Every-once in a while I play with the axis lock and some benchmade knives do look great. I think I keep coming back to cold steel is because I can trust my life with them. The axis lock is fun to play with but I could never trust my life with it. Cold Steel makes knives that are strong tools I think people are sad that they spend 200$ on a knife that can't hold up to light work.

Honestly can you ever imaging thrusting folding knife into anything unless it is a cold steel triad lock? Other knife locks honestly suck. Other folding knives will literally fold on your hand and cut your fingers.

Agreed. When a locking-mechanism can stand-up to 800 lbs. of free-weight, that's where the BS-ends. I only want serious tools in my stable.

Honestly can you ever imaging thrusting folding knife into anything unless it is a cold steel triad lock?

Still couldn't do it.....I am paranoid as f¥ck about a folder folding shut on my fingers regardless of what the physics and engineering says.

I chop things with an axe, pry things with a pry bar, slash things with a machette and stab things with a bayo style fixed blade.

If I don't got the right tools for the job on me then I just don't play. Anyone don't like it, sue me.

I see no reason to ever be stabbing anything with a pocket knife.

Still couldn't do it.....I am paranoid as f¥ck about a folder folding shut on my fingers regardless of what the physics and engineering says.

I chop things with an axe, pry things with a pry bar, slash things with a machette and stab things with a bayo style fixed blade.

If I don't got the right tools for the job on me then I just don't play. Anyone don't like it, sue me.

I see no reason to ever be stabbing anything with a pocket knife.
Those are normal conditions, what if emergency happens?

This is similar to Puukko knives and use for EDC since they have no guard. I mean, I'm not looking for a tactical knife for EDC, but I want my EDC to be able to stab without slicing my hand open or cutting my fingers. You don't always have right tools, and your EDC is the tool that'll most likley be with you in any situation, so you want it to be a jack of all trades. I picked Drop Forged Hunter as my EDC fot that reason, if fixed blade knives were illegal for EDC in my country - I'd most likley go with triad lock folder.

I'm curious about the scenarios you envision. In what sort of emergency situations do envision yourself needing to stab?

Long before I became aware of Cold Steel's marketing, I didn't like them. Quite simply, I've never seen a cold steel knife that appealed to me. (I haven't paid attention to their lineup, recently; but I doubt that part will have changed.)
I did, maybe 6 years ago, purchase two different cold steel machetes. One was decent (if it held an edge better, I'd probably call it good), the other was total crap. I don't generally bother trashing the brand, though - lack of appeal (to me) doesn't mean they suck... it just means I won't spend my money on them. Besides, cold steel fans don't get as tweaked as crk fans, lol

I'm curious about the scenarios you envision. In what sort of emergency situations do envision yourself needing to stab?
From needing to open something like a can, to digging something out to straight out self defense. I mean, cutting and stabbing are 2 main purposes of a knife, and a knife with such a disadvantage of making one of 2 main tasks dangerous for the user is in my opinion not suited for survival, combat/self defense or possibly even EDC.

So, yeah, knife has only 2 main purposes. And not being designed to do both efficciently is kinda crippling if you need both. I mean, for food prep and bushcraft in general you will probably be fine.

Long before I became aware of Cold Steel's marketing, I didn't like them. Quite simply, I've never seen a cold steel knife that appealed to me. (I haven't paid attention to their lineup, recently; but I doubt that part will have changed.)
I did, maybe 6 years ago, purchase two different cold steel machetes. One was decent (if it held an edge better, I'd probably call it good), the other was total crap. I don't generally bother trashing the brand, though - lack of appeal (to me) doesn't mean they suck... it just means I won't spend my money on them. Besides, cold steel fans don't get as tweaked as crk fans, lol
Many people say they find CS marketing odd. And we all have our tastes, and every company has their hits and duds.
I also just dislike some designes the same as you do, so I see your point.
Best wishes in 2020 :)

I have to admit, I was until I got one and used it for hunting. A recon with AUS 8. Very sharp and can be sharpened in the field. Since then, I have gotten more Cold Steel products. I think they build a tank of a knife with really good steels and they come sharp. I just got the Night Force and the fit and finish on this knife is fabulous.

So I guess an old dog can learn new tricks.

I recall working a homicide, the person that was stabbed died from one stab in the heart with a Case band knife. The knife had no lock. This knife was like the type my grandfather would carry. It was an easy case of self defense. I am sure the victim never ever thought he would stab anyone. He used what he had available. Oh the knife didn't fold on his fingers.

I recall working a homicide, the person that was stabbed died from one stab in the heart with a Case band knife. The knife had no lock. This knife was like the type my grandfather would carry. It was an easy case of self defense. I am sure the victim never ever thought he would stab anyone. He used what he had available. Oh the knife didn't fold on his fingers.
This is getting a little prac-tac, but the defender was lucky that the slip joint didn’t fold in his fingers. Just because it can be done doesn’t mean it’s safe.

I carry cold steel folders for reasons already mentioned. There is a possibility that the knife may be used for self defense. For that, I trust the triad lock more than any other I’ve tried.

The steels and heat treat CS uses are also a plus.

Yes, it can be done.
You can stab with slipjoint and you can stab with a Puukko, but the fact that it can be done without getting injured doesn't mean it's safe.
You can do lots of risky stuff and get away without injury, but there are cases where people did get injured, hence the guards on blades and other safety measures.
Why risk it when you can take precaution not to be at risk anyways?

Don't get me wrong, these knives have their purpose, are good cutters, slipjoints are good for small cutting tasks, they're classy and don't look intimidating, while Puukko's are often amazing bushcraft knives. They can be used as a weapons, but that wasn't their intended purpose and they weren't really designed for such use. I mean, even towel can be used as a weapon (strangling, choking...).

Now, I realize that some people dislike the fact that CS markets their knives as weapons by cutting meat for example. But there are also people who will see value in such test and are looking for blade to either process meat or use it for self defense.

Then we have guard and triad lock, which are in my opinion both safety measures. Guard makes every blade safer for the user, even if you never use it for combat but just for regular tasks. And triad lock falls in the same category, it gives you piece of mind that your blade won't close on your hand and that you won't lose your fingers.
That's what CS is doing right.

I noticed that many people who never had CS product hate on CS. And I really wonder why?

There are also people who either mention videos, or marketing...

But, my personal experience with Cold Steel is that Cold Steel offers incredible quality for affordable price, arguably best price/performance ratios you can get. And there are people out there saying the same. I haven't tried more expensive CS products, but I can bet that they offer incredible performance.

Love or hate CS - everyone in knife community knows about CS.
Cold Steel is a big name in this game, and they have proven themself over the years.
And even many haters admit that Cold Steel makes damn good knives.
Also, Cold Steel is one of the brands even non-knife people know about.

What's your opinion about it?
there are folks who have owned and used cold steels and dont like them and dont like cold steel.

there are some cold steels I dont like. there are others I think are very well thought out and made very well.

most dislike the marketing. I ignore most of the marketing. I find it........ well I got nothing nice to say so i wont say anything. the choice of font used and some of the names of the knives feels to me stuck in the 1980s. that doesnt help.

that said I like many cold steel knives and Demko and pretty much all his designs and locks and such. Demko to me is a knife making genius.

I noticed that many people who never had CS product hate on CS. And I really wonder why?

This is nothing compared to the hate fests years back. Over time you see different brands go through this crap. ESEE used to be here, didn't Kershaw also move from the clannish fighting ? After a while you don't give a damn what others think anymore, you get true to yourself.

Back