Why are you so in to knives?

I get asked this question often. Mom, dad, girl friend, other relatives, co workers friends etc. etc. I have answers that I feel are reasonable. Knives are art and their useful. They could be used to save your life and they may not always be the best cutting tool for certain tasks, but they cover the most cutting tasks in that they are suited for a wider range of cutting tasks than just scissors or a utility razor. To me though, they are truly art. Forms of expression. Knives also represent advances humans have made in materials, production, measurement, art and so on.

BUT....(here it comes)...WHY so many knives? The best answer I have for that is that it is the same reason my girlfriend has so many shoes, my mom has so many plants, my dad has so many hats. Variety of aesthetics is fun! I also like to experience the way different materials feel and perform and the way different steels cut. Some steels are tougher and take a beating, others hold a very sharp edge for a long time. Then there are steels that are extremely rust resistant, and in having these options I've always got a cutting tool in my different activities that is the best suited for that activity and/or task.

After that I don't know....I received my first knives when I was seven. A Swiss army knife and fillet knife. My mom gave them to me for when I went fishing on the beach and showed me how her Dad used to sharpen his knives with an old Arkansas stone that had been in the family. Ever since then I've continued to buy knives that are better in some way or "cooler in some way. At this point I've got Busse fixed blades and Chris Reeve folders and I'm still looking! There's just something about KNIVES!

How about y'all? Why knives? Why so many? Can we even explain it?

I get asked this question often. Mom, dad, girl friend, other relatives, co workers friends etc. etc. I have answers that I feel are reasonable. Knives are art and their useful. They could be used to save your life and they may not always be the best cutting tool for certain tasks, but they cover the most cutting tasks in that they are suited for a wider range of cutting tasks than just scissors or a utility razor. To me though, they are truly art. Forms of expression. Knives also represent advances humans have made in materials, production, measurement, art and so on.

BUT....(here it comes)...WHY so many knives? The best answer I have for that is that it is the same reason my girlfriend has so many shoes, my mom has so many plants, my dad has so many hats. Variety of aesthetics is fun! I also like to experience the way different materials feel and perform and the way different steels cut. Some steels are tougher and take a beating, others hold a very sharp edge for a long time. Then there are steels that are extremely rust resistant, and in having these options I've always got a cutting tool in my different activities that is the best suited for that activity and/or task.

After that I don't know....I received my first knives when I was seven. A Swiss army knife and fillet knife. My mom gave them to me for when I went fishing on the beach and showed me how her Dad used to sharpen his knives with an old Arkansas stone that had been in the family. Ever since then I've continued to buy knives that are better in some way or "cooler in some way. At this point I've got Busse fixed blades and Chris Reeve folders and I'm still looking! There's just something about KNIVES!

How about y'all? Why knives? Why so many? Can we even explain it?

Worked in a butcher shop for four years. That's where my addiction started.

Why so many now - compare and contrast.

Excuse the double post please. I think I created another account back in the day and don't know why it goes to mike81695 or Korean hog sometimes.

Excuse the double post please. I think I created another account back in the day and don't know why it goes to mike81695 or Korean hog sometimes.

I've been interested in blade since I was a kid. No idea why.
That's honestly, essentially, what my long post was saying. I don't know either, but I know that I am. Not to fit in or be cool in some way. I just really really like knives.

I long ago reached the point where I don't explain myself to anyone but God. All others are welcome to their opinions of my choices but I'm not concerned. If they are truly curious, I'll go into the history, differences, usefulness, etc. but the fact is they rarely are, they are just critical. (insert Bronx cheer) :p

I long ago reached the point where I don't explain myself to anyone but God. All others are welcome to their opinions of my choices but I'm not concerned. If they are truly curious, I'll go into the history, differences, usefulness, etc. but the fact is they rarely are, they are just critical. (insert Bronx cheer) :p
I hear ya brother! I think it often is a bit of a snotty question designed to be more of a statement of some kind the other person just can't quite out right say :D With others I think it is just mildly bewildering that someone could be so in to knives of all things. Even still I take the opportunity to reflect and answer it for my self, but I can't. I can't help it that knives are great and make me happy.

Ugh I think initially it's a subconscious thing with my mom never allowing me to have one. I grew up in the city and in a rough area and it just wasn't needed. Plus w my luck I would have fallen on it or something. As I got older I became a tradesman and learned to appreciate well crafted things i.e. tools and what not. So for me it's the combination of a well built tool that is usable and a piece of art. Mix that w my OCD and boom I have 50+ pairs of nikes and 40 + knives. And obviously 20+ bills that are late

The knife and the hammer were basically man's first tools, and I like the fact that they are so important that they're still used today.

every true man has to carry a knife when and where legal, and since there is such a variety in this important item it creates interest.
If there was only one knife for people to carry, nobody would own more than one, and nobody would talk about them.

More specific to me though, I found a Vic classic on the ground at an amusement park when I was 3. My mom took it " until you're old enough " , this got me fascinated by them because my mom didn't like me having most things I thought were cool.

Because knives are a far less expensive hobby than firearms, working on cars and home improvement. The cost of production knives I can handle. A new FN, Whipple, or Wolf? For those I have to pause and consider...

It might be my Apache ancestry.
I've always liked sharp pointy things.
Stone tools and blades have been used for thousands of years by early man. We are just thousands of years ahead now with technology.

I get the boots. I get the blade. But why the watch as a symbol of hope o_O ?
Every man should wear a watch, if you wear a watch you always know what time it is and don't have to ask other people. You also don't have to depend on a cellphone like so many people do.

Every man should wear a watch, if you wear a watch you always know what time it is and don't have to ask other people. You also don't have to depend on a cellphone like so many people do.

My watch also contains a compass and handcuff key attached to the band.

Back