Why buy a CT pack axe or GB sfa ?

I think of a boys axe as being 2 to 2-3/4 pounds, 24"-30" haft and having a boys axe sized eye (2-3/16" x 3/4" +/-). A standard boys axe is a 2-1/4 pound head on a 28" haft.

I would call a 3 pound axe on a 30" handle a light full size axe. I used to have a sweet old Craftsman double oval like that. I gave it to a friend. It was a fine axe. I miss it.

Ok good. I checked my Mann and it has a 2" X 3/4" eye. The handle is a redo from another ax and is 25" and head was 2 lbs.. I don't think a inch longer haft would help much. 2" maybe. Like you guys are saying, it is very portable and useful. DM

Last edited:

This was a little piece I found in my buddy’s pawn shop. He had $5 on it so I got it. It has Sweden stamped in it. I’m not a huge fan of certain Swedish axes such as this one most likely late 70s to 80s. So I figured I would experiment with a pack axe size handle.

I used a vintage mattocks handle and carved out this handle. I used the eye section for the palm swell. Makes for a lot of wood removal but the result is very comfortable. I used it after the first carving then found the handle needed some work so I slimed it down in places. The last two pics show the difference.

This size can be dangerous but with somewhat experience swinging an ax they can be very useful!!

This was a little piece I found in my buddy’s pawn shop. He had $5 on it so I got it. It has Sweden stamped in it. I’m not a huge fan of certain Swedish axes such as this one most likely late 70s to 80s. So I figured I would experiment with a pack axe size handle.

I used a vintage mattocks handle and carved out this handle. I used the eye section for the palm swell. Makes for a lot of wood removal but the result is very comfortable. I used it after the first carving then found the handle needed some work so I slimed it down in places. The last two pics show the difference.

This size can be dangerous but with somewhat experience swinging an ax they can be very useful!!
Way to go.

After looking at some books I think the back side curve from the head down should have been more gradual. Not so sharp. Because it is so sharp it can be prone to cracking. My next hand carved handle will be more gradual and not so steep. Thought I would share this info!

Brian, a good buy. What was the axe head weight before hanging? Perhaps 1050 steel. Were you able to sharpen & give it a test drive? Is that a 27" haft? Looks good. DM

The weight was about 1.75 pounds and I’m not sure about the steel. It is decent but not as hard as a Flint Edge. I did trim some trees with it and I enjoyed using it. I can see why people say it is a dangerous length.

I understand but I actually like the control it affords. A heavier axe can go places you don't want. DM

Using 26"+ axe if you miss the bit is normally going into the ground, but anything down to 20" can swing right into your shin and that's the danger. But onyl If you're careless.

I'm right with you on the control of the lightweight pack sized axe, and if you remember to pay attention and work safely you won't have to worry.

Back