Why can't Spyderco make a knife that is as good as the Kershaw Leek and in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...the same price range?

Everybody owns a Kershaw Leek, it's iconic and you can even get one in 24K gold for $99.99 so why hasn't any Spyderco knife achieved the same iconic status?

Did I mention that it's iconic? :p

Same thing can be said about Spyderco Delica, I can flick it open faster than any assisted opening knife

no comparison as to which one is more iconic... and spoiler alert, it's not the kershaw. people the world over instantly recognize that signature spyderco look and have for years. there's not one kershaw model that has ever held up that well, and as for the leek, doubtful if ANYONE outside the regular knife comunity would be able to name it unless it was on a multiple choice exam.... guess maybe they could gold plate one for ya if that's the sign of a knife that has finally reached success.

Not really... the Spyderco knife that I feel is the most talked about is the Paramilitary 2 and that's a little too pricey to achieve iconic status.

no comparison as to which one is more iconic... and spoiler alert, it's not the kershaw. people the world over instantly recognize that signature spyderco look and have for years. there's not one kershaw model that has ever held up that well, and as for the leek, doubtful if ANYONE outside the regular knife comunity would be able to name it unless it was on a multiple choice exam.... guess maybe they could gold plate one for ya if that's the sign of a knife that has finally reached success.

The sign of it's success is that it's the best selling folding knife in the history of man. ;)

But yes it has many variants that comes and goes and they wouldn't exist if it wasn't a big seller for Kershaw.

The sign of it's success is that it's the best selling folding knife in the history of man. ;)

But yes it has many variants that comes and goes and they wouldn't exist if it wasn't a big seller for Kershaw.

Except for all those millions and millions of Victorinoxs, Opinels, Mercators, Buck 110s, etc.

Honestly? And this comes down to personal opinion, I think basically every Spyderco in the price range of the Leek is flat out better. Literally every one. The Leeks I've owned, gifted and handled were heavy for what you get, tended to come with an obtuse factory edge, slick handles with unspectacular ergonomics and an assist with no particular snap to it.

Kershaw makes some knives I like very much, but the Leek is not among them. I would, really and truly, take a Byrd Meadowlark over the Leek if forced into the choice.

Someone has been drinking the Onion-flavored Koolaid.

Troll not lest ye be trolled.

I own about 10 Kershaw leeks at the moment and can tell you it is no where near as iconic as the Delica. For one, the Delica is a much better all around knife. The Leek is a fun, very light use knife, whereas the Delica packs a huge punch. Also, as someone else mentioned, you posted this attack in a Spyderco sub forum so it's pretty obvious you are looking for an argument.

It is asking for trouble to post such a passive-aggressive thread in a manufacturers forum, as well as being impolite and bad form.

Spyderco makes unique knives, and I believe they are sold in smaller numbers, thus they are likely more expensive to produce per piece than Kai USA knives. I am just making an educated guess on this, because nobody except the insiders know exactly how many knives are sold or the profit margins.

As to the assertion that the Leek is unrecognizable to anyone outside of the "knife world", that is patently incorrect. In my experience, I have found more people carrying Leeks than any other quality knife (excluding the 'jarbenza' and truck stop knife carriers here). The Leek is sold in incredible numbers and has been for many years.

The Spyderco knives I have experience with have ALL been very nice quality and beautifully functioning knives. Spyderco has the Byrd line that competes at the value end of the spectrum for those that wish to spend less but still get a good quality knife.

best

mqqn

I own about 10 Kershaw leeks at the moment and can tell you it is no where near as iconic as the Delica. For one, the Delica is a much better all around knife. The Leek is a fun, very light use knife, whereas the Delica packs a huge punch. Also, as someone else mentioned, you posted this attack in a Spyderco sub forum so it's pretty obvious you are looking for an argument.

It's not an attack and the Delica is too expensive to become an iconic knife among millions of people who never visits a knife forum.

Not really... the Spyderco knife that I feel is the most talked about is the Paramilitary 2 and that's a little too pricey to achieve iconic status.

Your opinion of what is talked about doesn't really factor into the equation, does it?

The real question is what, exactly, does cost have to do with something achieving "iconic status"? Just how inexpensive must something be before it can be considered iconic? Is it the same dollar amount for everything...or is there some sort of reference table? (Please post a link to the reference table).

Obvious troll is obvious.

Define 'good' in measureable terms- and demonstrate, via this criteria why the knife you like most is, in fact, 'better'.
Define 'iconic' in measureable terms and state to whom is it an 'icon' of knifeyness. Verifiable examples of respected knife folks saying "The Leek is an icon" or similar.
State sources for the relative numbers of Leeks sold compared the Spyderco Delica.

Otherwise- what you meant to say was "I like the Kershaw Leek a lot for the price. Why don't make Spyderco make a Kershaw-Leek-a-Like for me to enjoy?"

And, seriously, if we're talking iconic knives the Buck 110 puts anything and everything mentioned here to shame. It's hard to capture exactly when something becomes iconic, but the only modern knife that I really think hits that status got there because of Rambo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back