Why can't Spyderco make a knife that is as good as the Kershaw Leek and in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the topic.

The Kershaw Leek can be found in more variations than any Spyderco knife so why is that?

Why no Spyderco knives in 24K gold for $99.99?

Why no Spyderco knives in pink shiny metal (the blade and not just the side scales) for the ladies?

You didn't get an answer you liked in the first 250 replies, so you came back? really?

As for why Spyderco doesn't sell pink and gold knives for $100, the answer is simple. Spyderco is making knives for people who use knives. Not for pimps who need to accessorize with their pink fur coat and boa.

I should add that I have a Leek and think it's a darn good knife in the ~$40 range. Nothing wrong with it.
And I'm glad that an American company has an Amercian made knife in that price range. If more people buy from reputable American companies and support jobs here, then all the better and I don't care if it's a Kershaw Leek, or even the Buck 110 which we can all find for under $30 these days. It's fantastic.
That said, Spyderco makes what works and what sells to people who really care about a good quality cutting tool. It's that simple. Gold plated knives just don't tend to fit into that paradigm very well.

You didn't get an answer you liked in the first 250 replies, so you came back? really?

As for why Spyderco doesn't sell pink and gold knives for $100, the answer is simple. Spyderco is making knives for people who use knives. Not for pimps who need to accessorize with their pink fur coat and boa.

I think that there could be money in making knives for pimps though. :p

And I'm proud to not be a homophobic idiot.

98b3a0bfa112651d4174d763ba733b1e.jpg

This is my newest knife... And no spyderco didn't have to dip it in pepto bismal to entice me to buy it. :D

Bro, I have been cool so far about this but now your troll game is slipping. You have resorted to name calling and insults to elicit the response you are after. Why?

Last edited:
This is the topic.

The Kershaw Leek can be found in more variations than any Spyderco knife so why is that?

Why no Spyderco knives in 24K gold for $99.99?

Why no Spyderco knives in pink shiny metal (the blade and not just the side scales) for the ladies?

Mikael,
We're not much for bling. We have some models with a little extra "flair," but even those are designed with function and performance in mind first.

And as for "the ladies" and pink knives... I do own a few pink (handled) knives, but be careful not to underestimate the passion of the ladies who like knives.

Here are some of the things that I'm carrying today...
TazPocketDump.jpg

If you replace some of that desire for drama with desire for knowledge you might be surprised at what you learn.

Make it a good day!

Kristi

Mikael,
We're not much for bling. We have some models with a little extra "flair," but even those are designed with function and performance in mind first.

And as for "the ladies" and pink knives... I do own a few pink (handled) knives, but be careful not to underestimate the passion of the ladies who like knives.

Here are some of the things that I'm carrying today...
View attachment 627110

If you replace some of that desire for drama with desire for knowledge you might be surprised at what you learn.

Make it a good day!

Kristi

Why not a Spyderco knife with a pink shine to the blade?

Or a blue shine?

Or a purple shine?

Thank you Kristi. This is the wisest statement in the thread thus far.

Something tells me the mods are going to show up and it's going to look like this:

8Uui7wt.jpg

I should add that your assertion that I am a homophobe is flat out offensive, and unfounded. Ad hominem attacks are not a way to prove the validity of your point. In fact, it's quite the contrary.

Last edited:
Why not a Spyderco knife with a pink shine to the blade?

Or a blue shine?

Or a purple shine?

How exactly would you go about producing such a knife? You can't just snap your fingers and change the metallurgic composition of a blade to tint it. Heat anodization and case hardening are gimmicky and only work on a few kinds of steel- and would most definitely ruin any chance at a proper HT. You could cerakote the blade, but that's a single-color coating which would wear away over time.

wow...this tread won't die out...

let's resume the bare facts:

kershaw are low to middle end knives

spyderco are middle to high end one.

bottom line, both make great products respectively, both have left their mark on the market, both have somewhat iconic designs.

personally, I really prefer spyderco over Kershaw, but first it would be fairer to compare spyderco with ZT as they are more on par quality/value Wise. your original statements where outright ridiculous, in all decency Misssster Andersssson, you should retract your statements and close the tread. I'm not the firs to say it, but you owe Spyderco apologies, perhaps you did and I missed those.

I hope everyone will do this, as I'm walking away from this tread never to open it again, 14 pages of trolling is ''like what?!?''...it's gone on far too long...adios!

Last edited:
Excellent pics everyone. Surfingringo certainly proved that spyderco knives still look good with the kind of pink on the blade that washes away.

I think that there could be money in making knives for pimps though. :p

And I'm proud to not be a homophobic idiot.

:confused:

How exactly would you go about producing such a knife? You can't just snap your fingers and change the metallurgic composition of a blade to tint it. Heat anodization and case hardening are gimmicky and only work on a few kinds of steel- and would most definitely ruin any chance at a proper HT. You could cerakote the blade, but that's a single-color coating which would wear away over time.

If you add like 0.001% Cobalt to the steel you might get a blue shine and other chemical elements can be used for a variety of colors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back