Why D2

all clones. Get out of here with that crap. Junk clones or good material clones... They are all bad. Doesnt matter if the materials are legit or not. The knife community doesn't need it.

I have to agree.

I’m very cool with quality Chinese knives. I have a couple fantastic Kizers. I’ve handled Reate and WE Knives, back to back to back with Koenig, CRK, etc, and found them to be at least in the same ballpark for quality.

But clones? Those, I have a problem with.

all clones. Get out of here with that crap. Junk clones or good material clones... They are all bad. Doesnt matter if the materials are legit or not. The knife community doesn't need it.

Loll, I could not tell you what the original are... The discussion is not about models but steel that's all. As for ME personally I wouldn't buy them, original or clone, the question was about was it real D2 and was that D2 good, that's all.

Why are the knife companies from China all using D2 steel?
I’m to the point I will not buy a knife if it has D2 steel. I don’t trust the chinesiam steel from that country.

- They're not all using it. Have you heard of Kizer or WE or Reate?
- The companies who are using it, whether they're Chinese or not, do so because it's an inexpensive steel with favorable qualities compared with equally-priced stainless.
- If you don't trust "chinesiam steel" from that country, which country do you trust it from? :confused:

For anyone wondering, the term "chinesium" was largely popularized (if not invented outright) by the James Joyce of tinkering, AvE, who uses it to refer (fondly, on the whole) to cheap-but-useful Chinese import products that he uses in his shop.

Last edited:
Could a magnet on a strain gauge be a cheap test for steel type, I suppose the higher the iron content, the hard it will pull.

John.

Why are the knife companies from China all using D2 steel?
I’m to the point I will not buy a knife if it has D2 steel. I don’t trust the chinesiam steel from that country.
Because it allows them to charge a higher price for "D2"! In theory it has better edge retention than the other mystery steels from china however it itself might not actually be real D2. Alternatively it could be heat treated poorly and have just as junky edge retention as the other mystery steels. ;) I don't buy em.

Even the big knife companies can get fooled
You can even buy 'tungsten gold' on the usual Chinese sites. The two elements have the same density, and the pieces will pass the 'scratch test' typically used by jewelers since they are substantially gold in their outer aspect.

But who's fooling big knife companies?

At this time, it is manufactured all over the planet and the price is inexpensive. A quick look shows (less shipping) that it can be purchased for about $250 to $300 a ton.

[citation needed]

It's cheap, but not that cheap. AKS sells it starting at about $3 for the amount you'd need for a medium-sized folder (https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/shop/d2-carbon-steel).

Regardless, the cost of the raw material is only part of the input. A harder steel will require longer to grind (labor cost), go through more grinding belts (tool cost), and will likely require better equipment to heat treat correctly (equipment cost). Even if they're saving a buck or two per knife by using "fake" D2, that still adds up quickly.

I don't know about all them other knives but I was surprised at how good the D2 in my Rat 1 is. The only example of D2 that I have tried. Meaning it reminds me of High Carbon in the way it sharpened and felt cutting challenging materials (hard rubber etc.). It held the edge LONGER than good High Carbon would have.
Good stuff !

I'm not all about it, in theory, because it isn't powder / high tech (fine grained) but danged if it didn't make me sit up and take notice.
No complaints from me.

Back