Why did Case stop making the Barlow?

I have a couple of them and they are really good ones but im curious as to why they would just halt production of them?

not a smart move if you asked me.

Until one or two years ago (when Charlie opened the Charlow factory), very few people seemed interested in Barlow knives and basically there were none in production (it might sound blasphemy to some, but I always found the proportions on the GEC #25 a bit distant from the classic Barlow pattern).
Anyway, I have no clue about the choices in the Case factory :D

Fausto
:cool:

Case has occasionally re-introduced the Barlow (or released it from the 'Case Vault') for some specific series. I remember it was one of the options back in 2007 (I think) when Case released their 'Red Barnboard' series, which included blades in 154CM. They were pricey, but I'm still kicking myself for not jumping all over some of those. :grumpy:

David

It is a shame that the most American knife company doesn't produce the quintessential American knife anymore. I've got a couple from the late 60s and they are great.

yea, I wished I would have snagged a few of them to when they were reintroduced. they are of great quality as well.

I've had this little Barlow for a few years and had considered parting with it. But the more I handle it, the more I like it. It's a nice little knife.
3rqZLPX.jpg

I certainly is a nice knife Michael :thumbup:

About 7 years ago I got a really nice CASE Bonestag 6.5 Barlow for a friend. It was a very decent knife and I'm not surprised my mate was well pleased with it. I just regret not getting a couple more as CASE Barlows seem to have become hard to find lately.

The CASE Barlows I've seen shown on this forum look excellent as well, very odd they 'vaulted' it (long time now..) or simply abandoned the pattern. They seem to have ceased making the Chestnut Bone cv Swayback Jack, another incomprehensible move! Whilst we're about these types of 'moves' wonder why Queen Cutlery has stopped the Zebrawood scales option? It looks really nice stuff. Hope it doesn't mean a revival of the BEM wood aka catsick colour...

Despite what this small corner of the world thinks, Case stops making knives that do not sell. Some patterns are perennial favorites, like the trapper...others not so much.

Until one or two years ago (when Charlie opened the Charlow factory), very few people seemed interested in Barlow knives and basically there were none in production (it might sound blasphemy to some, but I always found the proportions on the GEC #25 a bit distant from the classic Barlow pattern).
Anyway, I have no clue about the choices in the Case factory :D

Fausto
:cool:

Yes this. My hobbies (including knives) wax and wane over time. I've recently gotten back into knives, but for a couple years I hadn't checked in here at all. Before I stopped with knives later time, there were virtually no threads about barlows--now this forum seems to revolve around barlows. Quite a shift in a couple years, and I think we all know who to thank for that...

My observation is that over the last 15 years Case will include the Barlow pattern from time to time in their premium, special run sets. I have a Case Platinum dealer nearby and have picked up Case bone-handled Barlow's from '99, '06, '07, and 10 in the past few years. I missed some others and I have passed on several with unusually exotic handles - you do need to watch the Case Vault and the Spring, Summer, and Fall catalogs to know when they are coming out - recently there was a XX Prime Stag in 2012. OH

My observation is that over the last 15 years Case will include the Barlow pattern from time to time in their premium, special run sets. I have a Case Platinum dealer nearby and have picked up Case bone-handled Barlow's from '99, '06, '07, and 10 in the past few years. I missed some others and I have passed on several with unusually exotic handles - you do need to watch the Case Vault and the Spring, Summer, and Fall catalogs to know when they are coming out - recently there was a XX Prime Stag in 2012. OH

I'm sure Case knows more than I about business: supply, demand, marketing, sales. That being said, I find it rather frustrating. I would rather have a Case Barlow in their regular production line, as a Barlow is a working knife pattern. I hate to see it only produced in fancy collector editions. The whole "vault" thing reminds me of Beenie Babies.

I also believe a whittler should be available in carbon steel.

I would love to see a Case Barlow in one of their working knife configurations; jigged blue Delrin handles, brushed stainless steel blades, and an affordable price - that would be a nice combination! Of course I want to see some more limited run versions too with nice bone and stag handles. OH

It is a shame that the most American knife company doesn't produce the quintessential American knife anymore. I've got a couple from the late 60s and they are great.

Beg pardon? The Barlow pattern originated in England.

I'm sure Case knows more than I about business: supply, demand, marketing, sales. That being said, I find it rather frustrating. I would rather have a Case Barlow in their regular production line, as a Barlow is a working knife pattern. I hate to see it only produced in fancy collector editions. The whole "vault" thing reminds me of Beenie Babies.

I remember CASE making "Limited Editions" and "Special Edition" knives as long as I have been aware of their knives. I seem to remember some kind of special fixed blade knives of theirs in the '60s that showed up at the sporting goods store, but I am not sure.

But I think they really kicked the whole "limited/collector's/special edition/commemorative/etc." knife marketing into gear when they were bought by Zippo. Like Zippo lighters, CASE knives are bought and sold by collectors because they like them since the are pretty, the are kitschy and affordable.

At first I was annoyed as so many of those "collector's knives" look like the Franklin Mint knives, or gas station offerings. I thought they cheapened the brand. Now, I am glad they sell them, and hope they make and sell all they can. The more knives they sell, the longer they will be in business, and the longer we will have CASE knives. Having carried CASE knives for about 50 years now, I shudder to think of them not being around, or being made somewhere other than their current domestic location. I own more knives now than I ever thought I would, and just about all my favorites are CASE.

Robert

Back