Why did you choose the user name you chose?

gravertom said:
. . .
ps it was pretty tough having to answer to "Francis" the first day of school every year. I can still remember the first day of 2nd grade, when a girl who sat in front of me read the name on my desk and said, "I didn't know your name was Frankiss, I thought it was Tom!" :eek: :eek:

After some thought and coming to my senses, My wife and I deicded not to have a Francis Thomas IV.

Tom, in my Senior year, Frank transferred in from "back east" two weeks into the school year. He was 5'10" with red hair and freckles. About 160.

Jesse Padilla, the No. 1 thug in school (6' even and 225), immediately started calling Frank "Francis" (in a way you will know - "Frannnnsiss"). After several days of this, when Jesse didn't get sufficient reaction, he came up behind Frank and flicked Frank's ear -- hard. (You know; cock "middle" finger behind thumb and FLICK!)

That's when we discovered that Frank was a state Golden Gloves champ. It was just a blur. :eek: :D :thumbup:

After that, Frank was very popular and Jesse had much diminished status. (In fact, Jesse was so bummed out, he dropped out of school before the end of the first semester, robbed a liquor store with a knife, and got to meet some really - really -- BAAAD guys.)

Frank was very bright and had decided boxing was a bad idea. He had also figured out that football was a sucker bet -- for sure smarter than I was in that regard!

Old days.

We all know what a Ronin is and the number 5 seems to fit just right in front of it. Means strength, survival as whole, all the things I'm working on.

5Ronins, call it my superhero name. For some reason it means something to me.

seems i've always been listed as kroncke,w. for most of my life, so it stuck. luckily i don't care who knows it's me as i'm not prone to hiding & as far as i know, my ex-wives are not after me. if they are i might change my moniker.

In my youth I was known as Kamikazi because of the suicidal way that I would persue goals...like driving, eating, chasing ladies... well you get the point and my last name ends in moto. Thus Kamkazmoto.

My middle name that I share with my father as a way of honoring family lineage. In this case it is his mother's maiden name. All my siblings have middle names that carry this philosophy out.

Yahmanin means "Stay away from our wimmen, ya big hairy auslander!" in Korean (a caveat I soundly ingored). 'Barbarian', more or less. My wife's Korean and started calling me/describing me with it while we were dating, usually when she deigned come over to my place (known as 'The Bunker' in my circle of friends). Somewhere between the raised toilet seat and the pointy thing-riddled board on the wall she decided that it was appropriate, and that I needed supervision. House breaking is a work in progress, but she seems to truly love me, despite my huge stature (195cm, 145kg), freakishly pale skin (covered in weird spots, no less!) and being covered in red fur.

Avatar is Usagi Yojimbo title character of the comic/graphic novel series of the same name by Stan Sakai. It's a one man show, art, writing and lettering are all done by Stan. Anthropomorphic animals as assorted samurai, ronin and shinobi in a world parallel to Feudal Japan circa 1600. Stories altenate between his own plot lines and Japanese history and folktales. Really good stuff, and worth a look if you're into that sort of thing, or even if you're not.

Svashtar said:
Originally posted this in June 2004 when we had a thread on this with input from the forumites at the time. Some of the guys have changed their names since then. This is a good refresher thread anyway, as there are a bunch of new folks since then.

-------------------------------

"I picked my user name from one of my favorite short stories of all time, "Sredni Vashtar" by H.H. Munro aka "Saki", written about the turn of the last century.

Lovely...

I read that one with the rest of his collection many years ago. Particularly enjoyed the "Clovis" stories. Highly recommended for anyone with a dry sense of humor and a penchant for period British comedy (Wilde, not Python...)Hadn't picked up the relationship and enjoy the memory.

Mine is from a particularly difficult Venetian hot glass technique that I've been trying to master.

T is the first letter of my first name:Tibor and Erdelyi is my last name, it means Transylvania in english.

Back