Why did YOU pick HI?

Since we've started going down this path on the In Memory thread, and people considering buying an HI always ask why they should buy them over brand X, I figured we could start a thread on why YOU chose to buy HI products. If it goes well, maybe Karda will add it to the link page, so we can just direct new people there. I'd especially like to hear from the new guys.

OK, here's my story.

I read about HI kukris on another forum where a guy was going on and on about a 15" Ang Khola he bought. I looked at the HI main site and looked at all the pics there. The Ang Kholas looked like exactly what I wanted. I read the FAQ and realized that a 15" Ang Khola was measured OAL, and I wanted 15" of BLADE, which looked like I needed a 20" model.

I noticed the Chiruwa model, but it was 16.5", not 20". I looked at the prices in the store at the 20" AK and balked. Hey, my "expensive knife" at the time was my $100 Ontario RAT-7! The price plus the fact that I never really like the kukri design (based on the prejudice of only ever getting to handle the bent machete type of kukri, or the small, cheap (as in crappy) made in India ones.

But, I kept reading about HI, and started reading the HI forum here linked to from the main site. HI is actually the reason I joined BF.

I read, and read, and read, but no one seemed to talk much about the bigger ones, and I don't ever remember reading about someone using a 20" AK, as opposed to just owning one and saying "Yep, it's heavy.". But, it kept calling me. Except it said it was a 20" Chiruwa model. I was still balking at the price.

FOUR YEARS later, I finally realized that pieces came up on deals of the day were often sizes and models that didn't appear on the site (I never bothered correlating the two before). Interesting, but no 20" CAKs, ever.

Finally, I could withstand the siren song no more, and had to email Yangdu and ask if I could have a 20" CAK made. I emailed again and asked if wood or horn would be better for my humid environment. I was thinking how nice the rosewood (satisal) looked,, and would like that, but didn't mention that in the email. Oh, I also hadn't yet told her that I'd buy one. She sent a terse email back a few minutes later saying "Wood is better. I have already sent the order to the shop for 20" Chiruwa ANg Khola with Satisal handle." OK, I found out the customer service at HI was stunningly fast, and that it was run by a mind reader. She said it would be in in 4-6 weeks.

OK, so whenever I had a free moment, I read the forums here, including the archives. I read the whole HI site. Started watching the DOTD posts. First one had an 18" WWII with a chiruwa handle. Someone mentioned in the thread that those were rare, so I bought it right away. My first sharking!

When I got it, I was impressed with the fit and finish and immediately sharpened it and gave it a whirl in the jungle of my back yard. I could honestly say that if I had gone with less than 18", I would have been disappointed. I had higher hopes for the CAK.

A couple of weeks later she came up with the failed design of the "Masterpiece". Only 5 were made. Sharked one of them. Then an R-10 came up and I thought it was a wonderful looking knife, and sharked it. Yangdu said she'd ship it and the Masterpiece together. I replied asking if the CAK came in yet (it was barely 4 weeks). She said to let her check. She replied (in about 2 minutes) that it just came in the shipment that day and would mail all 3 pieces together.

When they came in, I still had the willpower to take the box home. I unwrapped it, and looked at the Masterpiece first. Looked nice, 18" was still just on the acceptable side of things, but I intended this to be a wall-hanger from the start, so I didn't care.
Then came the R-10 (saving the CAK for last). I was very impressed by the balance given the size of it and how heavy it was. I wasn't impressed by the sheath, but very happy with the knife.

THEN came the CAK. The second I took it out of the sheath, I knew this was The One. Fit my hand perfectly, balanced just great, and after a quick sharpening, performed miraculous feats in the backyard jungle, including laughing at me when I almost impaled myself on the tree she had just gone through like a lightsaber.

So, because of the customer service, quality of the product, and performance of the product, that's why I've gone with HI. I've yet to find any maker outside of the Nepali kamis that can make a kukri right.

Not only that, but they make great knives and swords. It's obvious that they USE them and know what makes a good working knife, and don't just make it because it looks cool.

I first heard of H.I. in a knife magazine article (can't remember which one). I contacted Bill and Yangdu and they sent me some photos. But I didn't purchase at that time.

Several years later when in a really bad circumstance I was searching the internet for kukri's since I was in need of one (library computer) and found H.I.'s website. That was when I saw all the models and printed out the kukri FAQ to help me choose which one I wanted. After comparing the models on the FAQ I chose the M-43 due to what I considered to be superior characteristics due to how its design works with the laws of physics. I chose a horn handle because it would be less likely to cause blistering in extended use while still being very durable. Then I wrote Yangdu a letter and explained what I wanted, my circumstances, and asked for price and availability. She replied very promptly and I immediately sent her the money. And in record time the box arrived.

The rest of the story is well known on here.

I chose H.I because of quality. I would much rather save and sacrifice to buy a quality product and purchase it once. Than pay many times more because of buying a shody product.

I keep buying H.I. products becayse of much more than just the quality. But due to the fantastic customer service and friendship I have here as well.

I don't know of any other brand of true khukuri. Lots of people make blades shaped like them, though. ;)

I was looking on this forum at diferent knife manufacturers and saw HI and did some lurking, looked at the pictures being posted and then found the DOTD thing going on.

After watching and not being able to snag one due to some scary shark moments I e-mailed Yangdu directly and got a M43 which I ended up returning to exchange it for something more suited to the tasks I want to perform.

So time from finding HI to buying one ......about 1 week!

once I get this one Ill then be able to decide on others easier now Ive held one and about to hold the second.

Also the Ghurkas are one of the most feared shock troops in the British army due to the Kukri! Im a Brit so I thought Id get in on the Knife.

Chef

Equal parts: HI is a great business and they make a great product.

I always heard that they had perfectly hardened blades and they were so proud of them, the kamis signed them. The blades were shined beyond belief. The handles are works of art. The scabbards are twice as nice as the others. They were made to last generations, and of course, they stand behind their products.

Thats why I bought mine.
Bill
Virginia

I saw the Knife test 0n the 12" Kurki. Search Bladeforums. Find they have a good reputation. Seems they share there wealth with the ppl who make there blades. And so far good fast service. But I only have recently bought a Kurki. So for now I believe them to be a good maker.

Because years and years ago I saw an ad in a magizine, and I wrote a letter...and what was more surprising was I got a answer from a very nice man by the name of Bill Martino, then I wrote another letter explaining that I didn't have the money to purchase one of his knives at that time but I had a couple of more question, he continued to answer my next couple of letters and answer all my question kindly and politely in full knowledge that I wasn't going to spend a penny...so when quite a few years later the day came that I did have the money I made my first purchase. Times seem to be hard more often than not but I still try when I have the money (which I'm afraid isn't often) to purchase some thing from HI. Not because of the product or the quality but because of a couple of letters I received years ago from a very nice man.

Last edited:
I was plinking away at brush with a hatchet, then tried to use a machete but there wasn't enough room to swing it. A friend suggested a khuk, but I didn't know what it was. Stumbled across this site on the net.... the rest is history.

17 years ago someone introduced me to a "real" Khukuri. I bought & carried a Khukuri Like Object for a few years till I snapped the tip. Fast forward 12 years and I started making knives. Then the big chopper bug bit me hard. It took me awhile to remember the good old Khukuri as I was looking at making my own I looked at; Busse, SwampRat & Scrapyard Dogfather's etc. Almost bought a Barker Browing Competition chopper. Since I was already on bladeforums I started looking for a Khukuri and low and behold there was an entire subforum just for the purpose. I know they exist but I've never run into a "bad" person here on the forums so as far as makers go I didn't look any further than one that supports this forum. HI was it and Uncle Bill's philosophy and Yangdu's customer service is icing on the cake. That the Kami's make better blades in Nepal than I can turn out here with modern technology is just magic that I take for granted.

I come from a world of custom forged blades

I have always been interested in the history

I called a good friend in Ca who knows alot he told me HI was the way to go

He was right

My first "khukri" was a chrome plated novelty item that was made in India. :eek:

It wouldn't take a decent edge and broke when I tried chopping with it.

HI products are made from the leaf springs of Mercedes trucks that are properly heat treated. They should never break under normal use. And there is a warranty. :thumbup:

I discovered khukris way back in 1987 when I acquired my first one, a Windlass model from Atlanta Cutlery. At the time, I had never seen nor heard of them before and I was intrigued by the exotic shape of them. I still have it. For $20 I still think it was a good buy. But its quality doesnt even come close to H.I.

Year later I bought another Windlass khukri and the handle shattered when I was using it. It's edge quality wasn't that great anyway and I was figuring there had to be something better out there.

Not much later I discovered H.I., from what I recall it was maybe only days after Uncle Bill passed on.

I sent Yangdu an email asking for a heavy duty power chopper and she recommended a 20" Ang Khola with a satisal handle. About a year or so later I bought a 25" Sirupati. Then on a DoTD I acquired my beloved 21.5" Chitlangi by Sher.

Now I can't stop buying H.I. blades. I acquire one when ever my personal funding allows. I've bought them for others. One of my nieces appreciates my H.I. collection and I'm going to buy her a BAS for her 18th birthday. I bought an M43 for my brother as an Xmas present. My wife has a 15.5" Chitlangi and a Kagas Katne. I hooked up one of my friends with a Panchthar Chitlangi. My brother's fiance digs the Sirupati. We've decided the khukuri is a new family tradition which begins with our generation.

HI is actually the reason I joined BF.

Yep, that was 5 months ago.

I first saw Khukuri-like-object during my scouting days and fast forward 15 years later i learnt to google using Kukri and found Cold Steel San Mai. At 600+ USD i was immediately shaken with the price tag. Then i keep searching again and i found Khukuri House. Right away i was sucked into their massive collection. But i wasn't interested to buy. "Something" better was still elusive and i kept reading the reviews of khukuri across the internet.

HI, HI....just who's HI? it kept appearing in knifeforums, Ramanon forums, survivalists, Zombiehunters....Who's Bill Martino? Who's that lady behind Himalayan Imports that made everybody praise like mantra?

I decided to access HI website and many nights later i found 16.5 CAK to be one khukuri i would like to try. Having both Prybar and chopping power would justify the value for weak Ringgit of my country's currency.

Wait, another window's showing a totally different knife offered on the website. Bladeforums? who would have known that a school of Megalodons still exist and ready to munch on the Dotd as i get to know later. These monsters just kept lurking in the murky red water.

Karambits? Fox Folly? How did they appear to sell these in the forum? I spent many sleepless nights digging more and more. The Vault (until today) remains an abyss. I read the Archives from Day 1 and saved as many pictures of the khuk as possible and i finally decided to get the 15 AK as it's the best selling knife.
I emailed Auntie to ask for a 1/2" thick AK to be shipped. She said check back later as she doesn't have it in stock. Auntie's replies were never late than a day and i was very convince this is the place i want to spend.Few hours later i saw the Dotd on March 29th and whacked a 12 3/4" Salyan in Red sheath instead of the 15"AK.

Forumite's active discussion & sharing moments on the constructions of khuks, Stickfred's awesome help to Dr.Ram's study fees and the legacy of Uncle Bill as well as Rusty's all has made me feel like a family instead of just another customer.

The rest is all history....:) Now if i can only keep my patience to the low low as 3 monsters coming to knock on my doorsteps.

Last edited:
I joined Bladeforums to check out H.I. I had heard of Tora and Kukri House and others... but I like that H.I. actively helps the Nepali kamis and sarkis. I like the atmosphere, honesty, and welcoming community. I like the way Yangdu does things. And of course, they can make some really good blades, no doubt. So what's not to like?

I'm not a kukri-nut by any means... but if I or a friend of mine, am/is in the market for a kukri, I turn to H.I. or refer them to here.

My first kukri was purchased a a large gun show. (3500 tables). It was made in India. I bought it because of the legendary Gurkas. I like to read military history and was familiar with their unflinching courage and loyalty. Unfortunately, because of the lighting at the gun show I did not notice the many cracks in the blade and that it had been stamped "second". I then bought a CS LTC kukri to carry on my ATV. It was ok, but I chipped the blade when I hit a nail in a tree that had been overgrown by the bark. Well, in Jan. '08 I was bored at work and Googled "kukri" and 1 of the sites that came up was HI. Over the next few weeks I read everything on the HI sight and went to the BF sight, where I discover the DOTD. I watched this for maybe 2 months, and read all of the stickys. I finally bought my first HI kukri, a 17" CAK that had a square, blockish handle that could sanded be sanded to fit the owners hand. At only $45 it looked to be a great price and if I didn't like it I wasn't out a lot of bucks, so I got it. It was more than I hoped for. I fit the handle to my medium sized hand and attacked my arch enemy. The evil Tallow Tree. Oh Yeah! The performance of this blade was amazing. The balance, ease of sharpening, it had it all, baby. Since then I have aquired over 20 more HI blades including swords, and the first Mountain Bowie. I have not purchace any other fixed blade knives since the except an Izula last week. Auntie's service is second to none, the profit goes to help a great international resource( handmade REAL kukris) and the blades are just amazing.

I'm really new to HI but one day I just clicked on this great little place and started reading. I must have read links and threads for 6 hours or more that day.

Off topic ramble...

Let me preface by saying that my parents and grandparents came from humble beginnings. They lived in the country and were poor. Anything they ate, they slaughtered, raised or grew in the garden. Later my uncle owned a little mom and pop grocery store in Brownwood Texas.

People would come in and get what they needed and if they didn't have money Uncle Wayne would write it down on a receipt and tell them to pay when they could. He also hired an old guy for his butcher at the meat counter that no one else would hire cause the poor guy got his hand hung in a slicer and had cut off all his fingers on one hand. Wayne told him "you got 2 hands don't ya?"

Where in the hell am I going with this you ask.

Well, I miss the days of the mom and pop and it seems like corporate super giants have eaten anything that resembled the way things used to be.

Back on topic..

So that day I am reading and I am seeing how Bill and Yangdu are helping people that might not have been able to make a living on their own due to their situation, caste, etc...

This place gives me that (mom and pop) feeling again and it sure doesn't hurt that they make amazing products. :D

My first purchase was not a HI product. It's okay but it does not have that authentic feel to it. It has a pressed out, manufactured look to it.

My 2nd purchase was a HI Kerambit. That was what I was looking for when I started reading those threads that day and I got it.

I doubt that I will ever purchase another Khukuri that is not made by HI.

Sorry for the long winded diatribe but that's who I am sometimes.

I love Khukri's always have but never had one until I got one in trade, I thought it was a HI, turned out to be an old Gurka House model. But the pride I felt in "thinking" I had an HI was pretty amazing. Now I have two Munk Chunks, which are IMHO the top of the food chain for a camping knife, (seriously kids, they are axes with 9.5" blades ; ) ). I still shark the waters for a good CAK, WWII or the AMAR too so beware ; )
-zeke

Yangdu is the best, did I mention that...

I found out that Bill Martino had been a Peace Corp Volunteer in Nepal. Having been a PCV myself, I decided to check out HI more thoroughly and see if they had the blade I wanted. The more I learned abut HI and the way they took care of the and took care of the kamis, their families and the entire community. This essentially sealed the deal for me so I set out to shark my first blade and the rest as they say, is history. :)

Why I've picked the HI over the other manufacturers?

One Main reason = this very forum!

Here's my story in 10 short steps:
1: Wanted an all'round knife.
2: Watched a CS video on YouTube and decided that this could be it.
3: Good old Google:D for khuk and similiar designs
4: Went through all available "manufacturers" and looked at the designs
5: Wanted MORE INFORMATION
6: Landed in this forum
7: Found out about the HI business model among other things
8: Posted my first question thread
9: Got HIKV:D
10: Got my first khuk from Auntie

Thank You All for the unquestionable support!

Back