Why do I hate Cold Steel?

Ok, so hate might be a bit strong, but I can’t figure out why I have not (to this point) even considered a CS product when knife shopping. They seem to use good materials, they have designs that I like, and arguably the best or at least strongest lock in the industry. The Storm Cloud they have coming out this year looks right up my alley. 20cv steel with g10/cf scales. Maybe it’s that Lynn comes off as a pompous a$$:D or that the CS fanboys are annoying as hell if someone has a negative comment about one of their knives. (The Lynn comment isn’t fair, I have never met the man, but the fanboy part is true.) I guess I just need to get a couple to either confirm or get over whatever issue I have with them. Anyone else feel this way about a brand or company?

Last edited:
Probably their promo videos that seem to be catering to mall ninja types.

I know I lusted after everything they made as a teenager until eventually realizing that even if they were good it didn't matter because their marketing and promotional videos had suckered me in which I didn't like.
They couldn't settle for just having good knives they had to target the rambo-ish fantasy's of a teenager and that's just low;)
If there was a knife shop around me, one of their videos probably would've shamelessly separated me from my money.

Probly worth watching some of Lynn's videos where he talkes about his child hood and why he does what he does. I'm not so much defending him but at least you can see where he is coming from.

I have many CS knives but I definitly lean toward the work knives and not toward the swords and mayhem stuff.
I don't know . . .Thompson and the boys make some good stuff, they are passionate about it . . . if it was all crappy knives and hype it would be different but they do a good job for me. Designs that work and heat treats that can carve burs off mild steel and not ever chip on me . . .
I'll at least defend that.

Probably their promo videos that seem to be catering to mall ninja types.

I know I lusted after everything they made as a teenager until eventually realizing that even if they were good it didn't matter because their marketing and promotional videos had suckered me in which I didn't like.
They couldn't settle for just having good knives they had to target the rambo-ish fantasy's of a teenager and that's just low;)
If there was a knife shop around me, one of their videos probably would've shamelessly separated me from my money.
That’s probaby it. I use a knife to cut things not save the world from zombies. They do make good looking work knives though.

Last edited:
Ok, so hate might be a bit strong, but I can’t figure out why I have not (to this point) even considered a CS product when knife shopping. They seem to use good materials, they have designs that I like, and arguably the best or at least strongest lock in the industry. The Storm Cloud they have coming out this year looks right up my alley. 20cv steel with g10/cf scales. Maybe it’s that Lynn comes off as a pompous a$$:D or that the CS fanboys are annoying as hell if someone has a negative comment about one of their knives. (The Lynn comment isn’t fair, I have never met the man, but the fanboy part is true.) I guess I just need to get a couple to either confirm or get over whatever issue I have with them. Anyone else feel this way about a brand or company?

Why do you have to be so aggressive??? :D

That’s probaby it. I use a knife to cut things not save the world from zombies.

See. Clearly a YOU problem. :eek::D

J/k I totally get you. I get the same conflicted thoughts. Everything on paper seems good to go when it comes to their stuff but I just can't seem to buy one.

My lack of interest in Cold Steel doesn't have anything to do with their philosophy, or their advertising, or their fans. It's just the fact that none of their designs appeal to me at all. I recently did pick up this 80s era Small Shinobu in san mai recently and sort of like the design, but bought it more as a curiosity:

S7XLmtx.jpg

But turning to their current catalog, there's just not a single thing I would want to own.

I find their videos extremely entertaining. Who wouldn't?
I definitely do now, but for a long time hated the company because of how the videos alone made me want to buy. Knowing that I as a naive teenager was lured in like a bass to a crankbait just didn't sit right with me.
I want to want a knife because of what it is not because of how badass it's marketed to appear.

I don’t like the videos and swore off the brand until I bought a Recon 1 based on advice here a couple weeks ago as I was looking for a hard use big folder.... I now have 2 Recons.

Great materials and construction and just a rock solid knife. I am very impressed.

I have no interest in any way in at least 95% of their catalogue and I don’t condone meat abuse, but I will likely buy a couple more of their more normal looking XHP steel/Tri-ad lock folders.:thumbsup:

Oh maybe I missed the spirit of the post.
Here goes again ; I hate :
  • The extream range it takes to get some of the locks to release; almost have to press the bar bellow the surface of the handle ( I got the secret cool guy mod for that so I'm good ).
  • I hate their way too short way too stiff short clips. These tend to be on their smallest knives.
  • I HATE ! ! ! the @&$!#%+@$ sheaths that dull an edge in one day after sharpening it. I don't even use the knife but just carry it on me and the edge is dull.

There . . . how was that ?
Hey, they can make all the vids they want to and do their butchering in the factory if they want . . . I don't have to watch if I don't want to . . . as long as they make quality knives that I like.

Back