Why do I hate Cold Steel?

Not sure what it is you're trying to say. Perhaps that paid members tend to dislike cold steel while free members tend to have a more favorable opinion? I think it's more of a matter of some people focusing on the knives themselves rather than the reputation of the CEO.

On the subject of boycotting a company, to me it affects your life a lot more than the owner's. Lynn Thompson will be wealthy whether I buy his knives or not. My boycott would literally have zero effect on the successfulness of the company. However, I would be missing out on quality products that get the job done. If I'm in the market for a durable knife in CTS XHP (also somewhat applies to fixed blades in cpm 3V) and I eliminate cold steel as an option, I am essentially automatically going to pay twice as much for whatever knife I choose, and it will most likely be less durable and have an inferior (in comparison) heat treat. The way I see it, I will be down an extra ~$80 and receive an arguably less useful product because of (my opinion of) Lynn Thompson. It's almost as if purchasing the CS knife is saying "I'm not letting this #@&$!head effect my life". I fully understand the "it's the principle" of not supporting someone of which you think unfavorably, but the only one missing out is you. IMO.
I understand this, but I would rather "miss out" and not dislike one part of the knife that I can control.

That would be similar to buying a Griptilian in 154cm, while disliking the steel, when there are S30V and M390 upgrades available for stainless steels.

Why buy the one that has something you don't like about it? For an otherwise pretty good knife?

There are plenty of other "pretty good" knives out there to drain most folks wallets, without sweating crossing off a brand or three.

Thank you for your concern, but I will be just fine with my Spyderco, ZT, Benchmade, Busse, CRK and CPK...
I think I will have my bases covered enough to not need a Cold Steel...

I don't hate cold steel, but I have decided to not support the company. It's not because of their marketing, or Mr Thompson (although, I find the marketing juvenile, and I also find it difficult to take Mr Thomson seriously. Those things alone wouldn't keep me from buying their products).

I dont support cold steel because of the actions of the company are inconsistent with how I think/live. Specifically, the whole san mai "thing", and their absurd CRKT law suit.

So since those actions rub me the wrong way, I do the only thing that I personally can do to not support them (not buying). Some argue that this hurts me more than them/etc, but it's the only thing in my control, so its what I do.

I did buy a trailhawk of theirs before I was aware of/before some of these happened. It's a fine product, but nothing special. If it broke/got lost today id replace it with another brand.

Also, I guess lucky for me, their folders don't appeal to me at all. So I also don't feel I'm missing much. Maybe it would be a harder internal struggle if they made things I cared about?

TLDR: Doesnt bother me that others like them, but i choose not to support them.That's my two cents anyway.

Right. And round holes have been around since Earth was formed. Anyone who would trademark the term Round Hole as it applies to knives and then legally pursue violators of that trademark must be a really egotistical jerk. Right?
-Steve
I never called them egotistical jerks, you did. Putting words in my mouth isn't changing anybody's mind.

Round holes exist outside the context of knives, San Mai in the main does not. It's use in opening folding knives was an innovation. As I pointed out, the San Mai technique predates the European Renaissance. What exactly was the innovation Cold Steel brought to any industry?
Cold Steel did not go after people using "San Mai III", they went after those using "San Mai" - and only selectively those who could not afford to make basic legal arguments. It seems to exist more to inconvenience others more than protecting anything meaningful.

Of course my actual post pointed out several reasons I don't like the company, that was merely part of an additive argument. I might overlook any one disfiguring flaw, but not the totality.
Plus, as I said, they offer absolutely nothing of interest/value to me that I cannot find anywhere else. It is doubtful they will offer a design/materials/quality/price combination that will.
And I never said anybody should take what I said to heart. Those are my reasons.

Not sure what it is you're trying to say. Perhaps that paid members tend to dislike cold steel while free members tend to have a more favorable opinion? I think it's more of a matter of some people focusing on the knives themselves rather than the reputation of the CEO.

On the subject of boycotting a company, to me it affects your life a lot more than the owner's. Lynn Thompson will be wealthy whether I buy his knives or not. My boycott would literally have zero effect on the successfulness of the company. However, I would be missing out on quality products that get the job done. If I'm in the market for a durable knife in CTS XHP (also somewhat applies to fixed blades in cpm 3V) and I eliminate cold steel as an option, I am essentially automatically going to pay twice as much for whatever knife I choose, and it will most likely be less durable and have an inferior (in comparison) heat treat. The way I see it, I will be down an extra ~$80 and receive an arguably less useful product because of (my opinion of) Lynn Thompson. It's almost as if purchasing the CS knife is saying "I'm not letting this #@&$!head effect my life". I fully understand the "it's the principle" of not supporting someone of which you think unfavorably, but the only one missing out is you. IMO.
I don't buy Cold Steel because I only buy USA built. I also buy Ruana, Buck, Benchmade, Becker, Hinderer, Strider and Spyderco. I enjoy supporting people here. Do what you want.

As someone who makes knives and has worked with and made San Mai steel on occasion.....I simply can not support Cold Steel with my money.

I healthily respect anyone who can though....and have no problem regrinding Cold Steel knives for when people want a knife that actually performs like the worlds sharpest knives.

They switched to Italy production entirely last year. The second and third run of the USA made had lockbar problems. There's still USA made out there because it never was a big seller. Not everyone wants a nearly 10 oz. Folder that is also extremely bulky. I like the knife myself and would consider an Italian made one with the grey handle, but it's just too bulky and I know I'd never carry it hiking, which would be my only use for it.

As far as shutting down the plant, Cold Steel has no plant. The USA version was contracted by a second party. Not sure if anyone knows which manufacturer made it.

That's too bad. The 4th run didn't have a lockbar issue. I just got an Italian one recently, I actually like the size and weight. Fits in the pocket of every pair of pants i own without issue.

While I'm not a fan of Lynn Thompson and those American Tanto tip, I do believe Cold Steel does make the best bang for buck product in the market.

While I'm not a fan of Lynn Thompson and those American Tanto tip, I do believe Cold Steel does make the best bang for buck product in the market.
For a recent climbing trip, I wanted to get my friend a decent, inexpensive folder. I bought him an OKC RAT-1. He is very happy. It’s a lot of bang for very few bucks - fewer than a Cold Steel equivalent, I suspect.

For a recent climbing trip, I wanted to get my friend a decent, inexpensive folder. I bought him an OKC RAT-1. He is very happy. It’s a lot of bang for very few bucks - fewer than a Cold Steel equivalent, I suspect.

If you're just opening letters, a $4 ozark trail knife from walmart is a better bang for the buck than any cold steel product. CS knives are extremely capable. It all depends on what you need the knife to do.

If you're just opening letters, a $4 ozark trail knife from walmart is a better bang for the buck than any cold steel product. CS knives are extremely capable. It all depends on what you need the knife to do.
He’s a very experienced climber and mountaineer, where the RAT-1 will be used. Admittedly, he won’t be jumping out on people while dressed as a ninja, shouting WOOOSHAAA!; nor will he be slicing into meat filled boots; nor will he be neutralising sentries, using it as a pry bar, or proving his awesome badassery by pounding on the back of the spine with a hammer. Or whatever.

You may not be familiar with the RAT-1, but I’d love you to go over to the ESEE home forum and tell Jeff about these $4 Ozark Trail knives. I’ll buy the popcorn.

I have one CS knife, Recon-1, purchased because I admire the lock design and wanted to own one example. However, barring its superb lock, the Recon-1 is not particularly special. It’s a good knife, I like the clip point and dislike the oft mentioned pocket clip issues.

The RAT-1, on the other hand, is a superb piece of design. There is a reason it looks fugly, BTW: it’s called ergonomics. Also, it is relatively lightweight, compared to, say, a Recon-1. YMMV

Tell Jeff I said ‘Hi’. :)

Last edited:
I don't know about recent years, but many years in the past, CS's USA Carbon V models were made by Camillus.

AFAIK, CS has never made knives or had a manufacturing facility themselves, but has always contracted with various manufacturers to have their knives made for them.

Jim

He’s a very experienced climber and mountaineer, where the RAT-1 will be used. Admittedly, he won’t be jumping out on people while dressed as a ninja, shouting WOOOSHAAA!; nor will he be slicing into meat filled boots; nor will he be neutralising sentries, using it as a pry bar, or proving his awesome badassery by pounding on the back of the spine with a hammer. Or whatever.

You may not be familiar with the RAT-1, but I’d love you to go over to the ESEE home forum and tell Jeff about these $4 Ozark Trail knives. I’ll buy the popcorn.

I have one CS knife, Recon-1, purchased because I admire the lock design and wanted to own one example. However, barring its superb lock, the Recon-1 is not particularly special. It’s a good knife, I like the clip point and dislike the oft mentioned pocket clip issues.

The RAT-1, on the other hand, is a superb piece of design. There is a reason it looks fugly, BTW: it’s called ergonomics. Also, it is relatively lightweight, compared to, say, a Recon-1. YMMV

Tell Jeff I said ‘Hi’. :)
I have a RAT-1 and two Recon 1’s.

The RAT is nice, but AUS8 is not even in the same quality ballpark to XHP IMO.

The Tri-ad lock is far superior IMO and the thicker blade makes it a much better hard use knife.

I absolutely hate the idiotic CS videos and don’t really like the company, but I have to say that the Recons and Rajah III I own are amazing knives.

2-3x the price of a RAT? Subjective, but I still think the CS knives are a better value.

Don’t stab a pig head, but use a RAT and a Recon to process wood and for other hard use scenarios and I would be shocked of you preferred the RAT.

Weren't almost all CS folders aus-8 until, what, a year or two ago? I seem to remember it was a fairly recent change.

Seems an odd steel to poke fun at in that light Imo.

And, as many people have mentioned, value is incredibly subjective. No two people prioritize features/traits/designs the same, so its hard to argue "value" very successfully.

I don't think anyone is saying that CS knives are poor quality. But most that are "against" cold steel (myself anyway) seem to be saying that they don't find enough "value" in their lock, steel, designs,etc to make them want to purchase a cold steel knife, over the other detractors.

So again, no "hate". Just deciding not to support.

I have a RAT-1 and two Recon 1’s.

The RAT is nice, but AUS8 is not even in the same quality ballpark to XHP IMO.

The Tri-ad lock is far superior IMO and the thicker blade makes it a much better hard use knife.

I absolutely hate the idiotic CS videos and don’t really like the company, but I have to say that the Recons and Rajah III I own are amazing knives.

2-3x the price of a RAT? Subjective, but I still think the CS knives are a better value.

Don’t stab a pig head, but use a RAT and a Recon to process wood and for other hard use scenarios and I would be shocked of you preferred the RAT.
Which bit of mountaineering involves processing wood? Sorry, it slipped my mind. And, please, explain to me the hard use that a RAT-1 would struggle with, barring the scenarios I mentioned above.

My CS knife is also in XHP and it is better than AUS8. So what? Really, man, I’m someone who actually does do the odd bit of extreme stuff, and in a planned trip, you won’t need to bust out a folding knife for ‘hard use’ because you will be properly equipped. I guess there are idiotic mountaineers, but they don’t tend to reach my age.

I actually had a so-called SHTF scenario on Friday, and it didn’t require a sodding Triad lock, just a lot of physical exertion, stamina and will power. No knives were in fact required.

But sure, if I had to be put in the wilderness with only a folding knife, I’d appreciate the Triad lock, slightly. But given that I am not a moron and there is about 1 in 7 trillion chance of that happening, the RAT-1 is fine.

Again, the clue is that it was Jeff’s design. And as for XHP partially justifying the price hike? Whatever. I use a DC4 that weighs next to nothing. And it works on crampons and ice axes too. Who knew?

BTW On that trip I wasn’t carrying CS or OKC. A Fällkniven folder and a SAK Handyman.

Last edited:
Back