Why do knife snobs hate Cold Steel??

Status
Not open for further replies.
i can't wait to get a Cold Steel Trail Master. it just looks cooler and cooler the more i check it out. i own higher end fixed blades but the TM just looks like a fun one to own and mess around with. it will certainly accompany me on some hardcore missions out into the elements this winter.... to check on the bbq grill!! :D :thumbup:

i can't wait to get a Cold Steel Trail Master. it just looks cooler and cooler the more i check it out. i own higher end fixed blades but the TM just looks like a fun one to own and mess around with. it will certainly accompany me on some hardcore missions out into the elements this winter.... to check on the bbq grill!! :D :thumbup:

If you would like to do yourself a favor, seriously look at other brands in the price range.
And if you really want to do yourself a favor... buy another brand.

Spend less, and get more, it's possible.

If you would like to do yourself a favor, seriously look at other brands in the price range.
And if you really want to do yourself a favor... buy another brand.

Spend less, and get more, it's possible.

thanks, swamp. i own a few Busses and Swamp Rats -and if the apocalypse comes and i have time to select my knives before the zombies come, i'll be sure to pack them up in my pack.... along with my new Trail Master to use for when i'm grilling in the Thunderdome!! :D;)

seriously, it's a fun looking knife. :thumbup:

thanks, swamp. i own a few Busses and Swamp Rats -and if the apocalypse comes and i have time to select my knives before the zombies come, i'll be sure to pack them up in my pack.... along with my new Trail Master to use for when i'm grilling in the Thunderdome!! :D;)

seriously, it's a fun looking knife. :thumbup:

I wouldnt listen to that other guy, he just doesnt know.

I wouldnt do that if I were you, those damn knives are so heavy it would
weigh you down and those zombies WILL catch up to you and eat your ass up.

The TM is a very good knife, its been proven for over 20 years. Its well balanced and tough, feels good in hand and will make a good fighter if needed. Im about to get mine rehandled in black micarta as well as my Laredo

Wow, I'm not sure what to say here. Why is that someone picks a brand that has some known detractors, then post "Why do knife SNOBS, hate, blah, blah, blah." We have two of these post going right now, CS, and SOG. I'm not a knife snob and think cold steel and sog both suck and wouldn't spend my money on them.

How about why so much dislike for CS, or why no love for SOG, by the way we have a why no love for Gerber thread going right now as well in fact its between the SNOB CS and SNOB Sog post last I checked.

What I'm saying is this why is the onerous always put on everyone who dislikes the brand by labeling them SNOBS, when in truth maybe the OP's should be wondering why do so many knowledgeable knife enthusiast dislike their chosen brand?

This post is a prime example of this as by post No.5 the OP comes up with a +1 thumbs up on somebody slamming cold steel for their warranty. Classic.

I'm not a knife snob and think cold steel and sog both suck and wouldn't spend my money on them.

So you wouldn't spend your money on them, that is your preference. It does not make the blades inferior. The companies behind those reputations have been making quality products for years.

How is your favorite brand different?

I bought the Lawman knife to check out the TriAd lock, and liked it enough that I bought the mini AK 47. My exposure to CS has been through these products, and I believe that both knives were very well built. The TriAd lock led me to order a Demko custom. All knife manufacturers make some winners and some make some that we don't like at all. This is true even with custom makers.

I love Cold Steel and am I "knife snob"
Photo2429.jpg

The Taipan blends well in here

It should look like this.

LaredoBlk.jpg

LaredoComparison.jpg

Beautiful!

Thats exactly what I want. Ill bring these pictures to the custom guy
whos going to do it.

Im going to be getting them done by a Jay from Sunrise River custom knives. I just happen to live 30 mins down the road from him.

Cold Steel?

- Some knives are not very good
- Lot’s of hype
- High list prices for some knives
- Strong focus on blades as weapons

- Some knives are pretty good
- Plenty of choice, including some unusual items

What annoys me is that some people believe the marketing hype and think Cold Steel makes ‘the best knives’. Or that VG1 or ‘San Mai’ is the ‘best steel’.

Cold Steel?

- Lot’s of hype
- Strong focus on blades as weapons

What annoys me is that some people believe the marketing hype and think Cold Steel makes ‘the best knives’. Or that VG1 or ‘San Mai’ is the ‘best steel’.

Benchmade / Spyderco?

- Lot’s of hype
- Not as strong focus on blades as weapons

What annoys me is that some people believe the marketing hype and think Benchmade & Spyderco make ‘the best knives’. :)

I'm glad they're all out there making decent knives for us but you could flip the script on most of the big knife makers.

Benchmade / Spyderco?

- Lot’s of hype
- Not as strong focus on blades as weapons

What annoys me is that some people believe the marketing hype and think Benchmade & Spyderco make ‘the best knives’. :)

I'm glad they're all out there making decent knives for us but you could flip the script on most of the big knife makers.

Most people on this forum (at least frequent posters) are familiar with Spyderco and Benchmade.

Outside this forum not so much. I’ve been in at least four stores were a salesperson insisted that Cold Steel makes the best knives. Those stores don’t sell Spyderco or Benchmade.

A quick visit to the websites of all three companies makes it clear that Cold Steel has a very different way of presenting itself.

The Cold Steel website has video’s with Lynn Thompson wielding swords and cutting meat or stabbing oranges!

I can’t remembering Sal Glesser disemboweling a pig with a Civillian. :)

Most people on this forum (at least frequent posters) are familiar with Spyderco and Benchmade.

Outside this forum not so much. I’ve been in at least four stores were a salesperson insisted that Cold Steel makes the best knives. Those stores don’t sell Spyderco or Benchmade.

A quick visit to the websites of all three companies makes it clear that Cold Steel has a very different way of presenting itself.

The Cold Steel website has video’s with Lynn Thompson wielding swords and cutting meat or stabbing oranges!

I can’t remembering Sal Glesser disemboweling a pig with a Civillian. :)

Agree. I also don't think Spyderco/Benchmade hype their knives. Sure they advertise, but that is different than hype. I also don't think they focus on knives as weapons either. Spyderco does make some that have that purpose but they aren't pushed as weapons other than saying that is what they are designed for. And I'm sure the main reason they were made is because customers requested them, not because Sal likes to hack apart all sorts of objects.

And while they might produce some knives that aren't to my tastes, I don't think you can say either company makes a bad product. I have never got a knife from either with as bad of fit of the parts as the American Lawman I bought. I don't think a knife put together like that one would be allowed to go out the door. Yes they do have the occasional problem, but in my experience they don't let blatantly obvious problems pass through QC.

Also, both companies seem like they want to see a knife if I think there is a problem whereas when I contacted Cold Steel they wouldn't even look at a knife even when I offered to pay to ship it there and back. Customer service is important to me when there is a problem and Cold Steel blew me off when I had an issue, so now I blow them off for the most part. I was still willing to give them a chance and I got a knife with nothing flush which was strike 3 for me. Yes it will still cut but I can get better for my money. Now I'm stuck with a brand new knife that I am going to lose money on.

Gimme a break. The Warrior? No hype or gimmick there.

SpydercoWarrior.jpg

They are all guilty of some blown up marketing but if 90% of your catalog is folders and slipjoints the chances of them being marketed as weapons is less, since folders are lesser weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back