1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Why do knife snobs hate Cold Steel??

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by sharp lupo, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crom

crom

Mar 29, 2007
    'I can’t remembering Sal Glesser disemboweling a pig with a Civillian. :) "

But I remember seeing Hannibal Lecter disembowel a cop with a Civilian, or Harpy in one of the Silence of the Lamb movies. Just like i've seen numerous Spyderco cameos in movies going back to the early nineties. Although I don't believe Spyderco necessarily hypes their knives, they have been well-known for 2 decades now by the knife buying public so I don't by the "nobody knows about Spyderco" thing. When I purchased my first Spyderco around 1994 or 95 the sales attendant was quick to tell me how popular they were with the law enforcement community. He also specifically stated that although the warranty was good, to NEVER pry with the tip as they were known to break rather easily and that was one thing the company (of course) wouldn't back up. This thing with CS is a bunch on nonesense. I'll tell you what the average person doesn't know about, the Proof videos. Who gives a rat's a$$, don't watch them if they turn you off. Doesn't change the fact that Cold Steel sells a vast range of good to really good designs. The Voyager as far as i'm concerned is the best zytel lockback for the money on the market. Kind of upset they have to go and add aluminum liners to it and drive the price up but whatever. As the Torch would say, "Flame on"

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  2. cziv

cziv

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm looking forward to the aluminum liners. The metal is by nature and reputation supposed to be LIGHT. I guess the jury is out until they're released.

I've always been willing to haul a bit more wieght (an ounce or so) to have liners in the handle of my folders. I have two old school Lg. Voyagers which are very light but I noticed that they will flex - if you make them.

I've never had a problem with them though. :)

3. RafaelHerschel

RafaelHerschel

Jun 19, 2010
    I own several Voyager knives. Mid-level knives. I don't think they are the best because at the price (or slightly below the price) there are similar knives with better steel, but I like them.

I don't believe Cold Steel knives are unfairly priced. You probably misread. I do believe that especially at the higher price range the list prices are to high (for me) compared to the list prices of other manufactures who offer similar knives, or knives with better steel.

That's fine by me. But I don't like claims like these (on the Cold Steel website):

"Without a doubt, the most knife for the money ever commercially built! In terms of sharpness, edge holding and strength, it will out perform—by a wide margin—any factory made knife we know of and 99% of all hand forged knives as well!"

"Since 1987 we have challenged the industry to make a better knife and yet, to this day, we’ve had no takers. So before you spend your hard earned bucks on one of our competitor’s knives, take a moment to review all the advantages offered by the Cold Steel® Trail Master."

To me, that goes beyond trying to sell products and/or being proud of your products. The second statement is just silly. Why would a competitor challenge Cold Steel? A 'showdown' is always going to benefit the competitor with the largest marketing budget. In most cases that is going to be Cold Steel.

4. cziv

cziv

Nov 24, 2005
    Why don't you email Lynn Thompson and give him an earful. We know (about 5 times or more) that his marketing aggravates you. Give it a rest - WE GET IT! :rolleyes:

5. sharp lupo

sharp lupo

Oct 11, 2010
    I for one would like to see other companys go head to head with Cold Steels similar products

6. RafaelHerschel

RafaelHerschel

Jun 19, 2010
    A. That's my point. Spyderco is less abrasive when it comes to marketing their knives. I prefer their style to the style of Cold Steel.

In answer too the original poster: if a company uses hyperbole to market their knives, people who don’t like that company or their products are likely to use hyperbole as well.

B.You didn’t have to read my post, but you did. And I’m guessing you felt slightly annoyed.

That’s how I feel about the ‘proof’ video’s and the text on the Cold Steel website. I don’t have to visit their website, but sometimes I do. Sometimes I’m amused, sometimes I’m annoyed by the use of hyperbole and the irrelevant ‘facts’.

7. jazub

jazub Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2010
    this thread has given me the fever for the flavor of some new knives! :D
    seriously, that Trail Master will be mine :thumbup::thumbup:
    -can anybody who's done it share what a re-handle to micarta coffin should cost?

8. RafaelHerschel

RafaelHerschel

Jun 19, 2010
    I did sent him an e-mail. But he hasn't responded yet :)

9. sharp lupo

sharp lupo

Oct 11, 2010
    Im having mine done in a plain black micarta coffin as well as my Laredo and it will cost me $80. If he does a good job and Im happy Ill give him a $20 tip. So, two knives rehandled will cost me $100. Or $40 for one.

Check out Sunrise River Custom knives in Minnesota, he lives about
    30 mins away from me.

10. sharp lupo

sharp lupo

Oct 11, 2010

Dont hate..... appreciate.

11. sharp lupo

sharp lupo

Oct 11, 2010
    Im actually thinking of doing the Laredo in white micarta..

12. waynejitsu

waynejitsu

Oct 1, 2002
    This week I got my Kershaw Rake with CPM-D2 steel blade for $77 shipped.
    I "could have" bought a CS Recon 1 for the same price and got AUS8A.
    Kind of a no brainer if you ask me, LOL!!
    Also, bought a Lahar for $15 less than the Rake and it is VG-10.
    Seems like way too many choices-
    Lower price for a better, smoother knife,
    Better, upgraded steel, (CPM-D2 and VG-10 compared to AUS8A).
    Not to say AUS8A is a "bad" steel, but for the same price, you can get "better" steel elsewhere.
    Good customer service from Kershaw compared to CS.
    Just my personal observations...
    Personal choices,

13. crom

crom

Mar 29, 2007
    "I for one would like to see other companys go head to head with Cold Steels similar products "

Me too.

edit: search Ankerson's video with the head to head including the Spydie Manix & CS Lawman. Long story short; the Manix didn't do too well.

14. waynejitsu

waynejitsu

Oct 1, 2002
    Like CS top of the line steels vs others top of the line steel in the same price range.
    I would put my money on my D2 and VG-10 vs the 8A, LOL!!

15. FlaMtnBkr

FlaMtnBkr

Oct 20, 2004
    Maybe that is what I will do with my American Lawman, go snap the tip off it on video. The tip on the American Lawman and the standard Manix 2 are essentially the same thickness according to my micrometer. If they are pushed the same (which they weren't in those videos) they will both have the same fate. Then people can refer back to my unscientific video anytime they want to counter that unscientific video.

As far as the lock on the Manix2, if everything was tight there would have been a different outcome. No one keeps driving when their car's temperature light comes on. And if they do they will probably be replacing or rebuilding the engine. If you keep pushing a knife that developed play from a lack of thread locker, you are also going to end up replacing the knife as well. If you want to blame the Spyderco for not having thread lock that is a valid complaint. Going beyond that is just trying to make the knife look bad (or the other look good).

16. cziv

cziv

Nov 24, 2005
    Steel Snob! :D

17. waynejitsu

waynejitsu

Oct 1, 2002
    So, to prefer high quality is to be a snob, LOL!!! :jerkit:

18. cziv

cziv

Nov 24, 2005
    Nice smilie for general discussion - it was a joke. That must be your favorite hobby. ;)

19. waynejitsu

waynejitsu

Oct 1, 2002
    So, you "think" that is my favorite hobby, then you "smile and wink" at me...,
    Must be a turn on for you..., you pig, LOL!!!
    "it was a joke"

20. cziv

cziv

Nov 24, 2005
    Yup smilies turn me on! I meant to hit this one but being in a hurry...:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.