Why do people hate Spyderco?

I don't get it why people hate Spyderco. I'm on my first one and I would have many, many more if I didn't have 3 kids. My main to knives I carry are a Benchmade grip and a pm2. I love them both although the pm2 gets way more carry. I have heard people say the heat treat isn't "as good" as other manufactures but I haven't seen a problem with my pm2. I am just curious to see why people have a problem with Spyderco. This is not intended to start a this brand is better than the other I'm am just wanting to see what everyone is thinking.

a01dfdd6621d3389dba8ceb8d8fe4103.jpg

who hate spyderco? I've seen coldsteel haters, busse haters, and strider haters, but spyderco is one of the highly respected knife brands that's known for quality and integrity.

It's usually someone who pays retail for a fake and doesn't know it.

I ignored Spyderco for many years because I didn't care for the style (read: that darned hole). I didn't "hate" them, I just never considered buying/owning. I broke down and tried one a couple years ago - the Gayle Bradley. I had a brief like/hate relationship with that before setting it aside. I liked the M4 steel; so I bought a Manix2, and mostly liked that. I struggled to like the PM2 for over 2 years - it took 3 of them passing through my hands, but I can finally say I do (sort of...as long as I swap out the scales). Then I bought a Military that I liked until it somehow cut up my rear pocket...I still like it, but I'll only admit it in select company.
I won't call myself a fan; but at least I can see past the hole, now. They're good knives - and my eyes are opened to that - they just don't ring my bell, so to speak. I'm not likely to try other models...but I'm not looking to get rid of the ones I have, either. I don't mean this to come off negatively about Spyderco; it's likely just that many years of disregarding them doesn't shake off immediately. Had my early influences liked them, I'd probably be a full-on, card carrying, t shirt & hat wearing fan club member.

(I could probably be considered a Cold Steel hater, though ;))

Last edited:
I haven't heard much hate at all for Spyderco. I will say that like a lot of people when I first got into knives I didn't much understand or care for the design. That however changed pretty quickly and it was off to the races. I have lots of higher end production knives and Spyderco offers hands down the best value. Similar knives with similar materials from other manufacturers are priced much higher than Spyderco. I'm now sitting on 15 Spyderco folders and am constantly adding to that.

The only "hate" I've seen is just from people used to buying cheap, crappy imports ("I would never pay more than $20 for a knife" type nonsense).

John

I have never cared for the style. That's a preference, just like clothes, but I don't hate them.

Similarly I haven't found a Benchmade that I like after they stopped producing the AFCK or when SOG started covering their knives with their logo.

To each their own, which is why there are so many different types and brands.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back