Why do people hate Spyderco?

I was told that the word "fugly" was coined to describe our knives ("F'n ugly").

sal
Nah, not what I thought when I saw a Spyderco for the first time. Quite the opposite.

I remember I was buying a Boker 2nd hand off of a guy and he showed me a caly3. Well I sold the Boker and bought that caly3. I loved the design as soon as I laid eyes on it.

Still have it.
20190604_080114-2895x1994.jpg

You know what I love about this, is when someone makes a duplicate thread, people always say use the search function to find a thread. Then when someone does that, people complain about reviving old threads. It's quite comical.
This is a pretty uninspired take on thread necros. The reason people dislike necro threads is because they’re typically stupid threads like this one being necro’d by someone who thinks too highly of their own opinion. The guy who dug up this thread searched through pages of history or used specific terms so that he could voice is dislike of Spyderco. Seems kind of stupid to me. As for the duplicate thread problem, people point to the search function when people duplicate a thread looking for answers to questions that have already been settled. If you want to know which steels have the best rust resistance, there’s no need to make a duplicate thread. That question has been asked and answered. Again, keep your takes to yourself because they feature very little insight on your behalf.

This is a pretty uninspired take on thread necros. The reason people dislike necro threads is because they’re typically stupid threads like this one being necro’d by someone who thinks too highly of their own opinion. The guy who dug up this thread searched through pages of history or used specific terms so that he could voice is dislike of Spyderco. Seems kind of stupid to me. As for the duplicate thread problem, people point to the search function when people duplicate a thread looking for answers to questions that have already been settled. If you want to know which steels have the best rust resistance, there’s no need to make a duplicate thread. That question has been asked and answered. Again, keep your takes to yourself because they feature very little insight on your behalf.

Must've struck a cord. Nonetheless, it's a forum, where people voice they're opinions whether they coincide with others or not. It's very simple to just let things be, rather than to take the time to berate someone for something you don't see as proper forum etiquette. Just my take. There's tons in the new posts page to easily skim over a Necro thread. Just my take on it. Live and let live. Cheers.

Must've struck a cord. Nonetheless, it's a forum, where people voice they're opinions whether they coincide with others or not. It's very simple to just let things be, rather than to take the time to berate someone for something you don't see as proper forum etiquette. Just my take. There's tons in the new posts page to easily skim over a Necro thread. Just my take on it. Live and let live. Cheers.
I favor intellectual honesty above most things and your rebuttal was a complete misrepresentation of what others see as an issue. That’s why I replied to you and that’s why you “struck a cord”.

I don't get it why people hate Spyderco. I'm on my first one and I would have many, many more if I didn't have 3 kids. My main to knives I carry are a Benchmade grip and a pm2. I love them both although the pm2 gets way more carry. I have heard people say the heat treat isn't "as good" as other manufactures but I haven't seen a problem with my pm2. I am just curious to see why people have a problem with Spyderco. This is not intended to start a this brand is better than the other I'm am just wanting to see what everyone is thinking.
I ❤️❤️❤️ Love Spyderco

I look at Benchmade and Spyderco as the Ford vs Chevy debate. I have always preferred Ford and disliked intensely Chevy. I have no plausible explanation as to why that is, but I just do. I have owned Chevy's in the past and to be quite honest, they weren't any better nor worse that the Ford's and Dodge's I have owned over the last 40 years or so, but I still prefer Ford's. Same thing with the Dallas Cowboys, just hate them and love San Fran and I have no idea as to why.

I am starting to warm up to my PM 2 now however.:D

Last edited:
I look at Benchmade and Spyderco as the Ford vs Chevy debate. I have always preferred Ford and disliked intensely Chevy. I have no plausible explanation as to why that is, but I just do. I have owned Chevy's in the past and to be quite honest, they weren't any better nor worse that the Ford's and Dodge's I have owned over the last 40 years or so, but I still prefer Ford's. Same thing with the Dallas Cowboys, just hate them and love San Fran and I have no idea as to why.

I am starting to warm up to my PM 2 now however.:D

I'm a car, motorcycle, knife and gun guy AND I like them ALL regardless of make and model.

Of course, that doesn't mean that I want to buy/use and/or drive/carry all of them and I have my personal preferences (Spydercos being one of them) BUT I enjoy looking at all of them and can appreciate the finer points of those that I do not prefer.

However, when it comes to the Dodgers and Yankees . . . there's no measuring the depth of my detest for those teams.

LOL!!! :p

BTW, I currently own/lease 6 cars and among them are a 2002 F250 7.3L Diesel and a 2017 Chevy Bolt EV. So, I have nothing against either Fords or Chevys. ;)

Last edited:
I think spydercos are really ugly. I don't get why people even like them. Terrible designs in aesthetic perspective.

Form follows function. The Spyderco Hole defines the product. It’s functionally their logo. Whether or not one considers it to be an aesthetically good design is up to the beholder. Certainly the market thinks so.

I have a minor residual deficit in my right hand primary fingers from a stroke I suffered years ago. It makes it difficult to open a folder with a thumb stud, or Spydie Hole. For that reason I prefer flippers.

I didn't like the look. Then I carried a Pacific Salt for a day, now I'm a convert. Love them and plan to get more. Now I hate thumb studs.

Thumb studs are an immediate non-starter on a knife for me. Have sold almost all of them (except for that pesky Bugout), and won't ever buy another one.

Someone had to say it. Because isn’t that what it seems everyone THINKS they say lol

I think spydercos are really ugly. I don't get why people even like them. Terrible designs in aesthetic perspective.
Digging up a necro thread to say that? well, welcome to BF. As far as aesthetics go, they build them to be users. They fit your hand. The company has many different designs for many different uses . Not all are beauty queens , nor were they designed to be so.
I have an enuff salt zip tied to my sea kayaking pfd, an aqua salt attached to my scuba bcd, a native salt that’s so lite I forget I have it on me. My work knives are a gayle Bradley 1 with m4 steel that is excellent at carving wood, and a Millie in s110v that holds its edge forever.
no other company comes close to the wide array of purpose built tools that spyderco produces.
Does that answer your question?

Back