Why do people hate Spyderco?

No doubt there are some odd looking Spydercos out there. But good for Sal and company for not sticking with the same mundane cookie-cutter designs that many other knife manufacturers insist on making each and every time. Never judge a book by its cover. There are too many chapters of greatness you maybe be passing up.

Also , there are quite a few Spydercos that I find extremely good-looking.

I am a noob, so what do I know, but I love how the Spydercos I have fit my hands. I love the Spydie hole. Depending on the model I love the looks and blade shapes. The ones I have are very pocket-able. I do not like the FRN models tho. A new XM-18 has kept them from getting any pocket time or use for the last month but that hasn't stopped me from bidding on a Dragonfly G-10 this morning that I'd like to pimp with scales, maybe spine filing and acid/stonewash.
Present Spydies:
Byrd Robin
Cat
Delica (pimped)
Techno (thinking about CF scale and different back spacer)
Native 5 G-10 (out getting scales and acid/stonewash)

Got me a bunch of Spyderco knives and truly enjoy them all, especially those in H1.

I also didn't like Spydercos when I started using and collecting knives. I felt there was something ugly about how they looked, and the blade shape and the hole made the knife look like a bird.

After some time avoiding them, I decided to jump on a trade for a PM2 and everything changed. The knives aren't ugly, they have character! The spydie hole is so much better than a thumbstud for deployment it's not even kind of being close to fair. For some, it's love at first sight. For me, it was an acquired taste.

I'm very selective with the knives I own and I don't have many. Of the seven folders I own, five are Spydercos (PM2, Native 5 S110v, Dragonfly ZDP, Dragonfly G10, and Ladybug ZDP).

My all time favorite EDC knife is the Dragonfly 2 in ZDP-189. This knife is a testament to what Spyderco can do. It's 5.6" overal, weighs a little over 1oz, and it still has enough blade for everything I need, while also allowing for a firm four finger grip.

People hate Spyderco ? Since when ? I know cold steel haters , Bench made haters ( while l don't hate them , l HAVE experienced inconsistent Heat treating issues on their blades ) and Schrader haters . But l hav never seen a knife lover hate Spyderco....
Well , to be fair , l HAVE seen a couple of racist guys shy away from buying the Japanese Models , but that didn't stop them from buying the Colorado models.
There was one guy who bought a Byrd knife which had " 440c" stamped on it. He insisted to me that the knife did not cut like 440c. Initially , l didn't believe him , but then l tried the knife out myself. He was right. It appeared to be closer to AUS8 than 440c. But , as always , Mr. Glesser found out about this and immediately took action. Byrd no longer has " 440c" stamped on their knives. Now it is " 8cr13MoV. But my friend ( rather foolishly ) stopped using spydercos after that ... Until 2015 when l got him a Spyderco CAT in 440c. Now , he loves that .

Well , to be fair , l HAVE seen a couple of racist guys shy away from buying the Japanese Models , but that didn't stop them from buying the Colorado models.

Come on man, we have enough nonsense going on in the world right now without bringing it in here. Wanting to buy a product made in your own country does not make one a racist. Why even say something like that? Anyway, for my 2 cents, I am more concerned with quality than country of origin. I'm a big fan of the Seki made knives and some of the different Japanese steels we get to experience.

I've never seen or heard anyone hate or dislike Spyderco. There is nothing not to like.

I do not like Spyderco, all of the ones I have owned are now gone.

For perspective I have only gotten rid of one Benchmade ever, and it was a trade to a buddy of mine for 200 reloads of 25-06. Still own over 15 Benchmades.

Come on man, we have enough nonsense going on in the world right now without bringing it in here. Wanting to buy a product made in your own country does not make one a racist. Why even say something like that? Anyway, for my 2 cents, I am more concerned with quality than country of origin. I'm a big fan of the Seki made knives and some of the different Japanese steels we get to experience.
You are right . " racist " wouldn't be the right word . Sorry about that. They're my friends . actually. They saw me gutting a trout with my Harpy one day. They were like " Ooo , Spyderco !!! Which Model ?" I showed it to them eagerly .They were singing praises about it until they saw the " seki Japan" . It's not racist , but it just seemed a little off to me , that someone gets interested in a knife , and then shuns it because it is made in Japan.Sorry , if my comment caused any trouble. I just couldn't find a better word to describe them.

You are right . " racist " wouldn't be the right word . Sorry about that. They're my friends . actually. They saw me gutting a trout with my Harpy one day. They were like " Ooo , Spyderco !!! Which Model ?" I showed it to them eagerly .They were singing praises about it until they saw the " seki Japan" . It's not racist , but it just seemed a little off to me , that someone gets interested in a knife , and then shuns it because it is made in Japan.Sorry , if my comment caused any trouble. I just couldn't find a better word to describe them.

All good brother, and thank you for stepping back in and clarifying. I agree that the attitude you are describing has always seemed odd to me. I DO like seeing that "Made in Golden, CO USA" stamp on my blade, but I don't dislike a knife for being made somewhere else.

I'm in the don't like spyderco camp! Nothing about the knives appeals to me! Benchmade, Buck, cold steel and ZT/KAI get my money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt people care about knives enough to hate a knife brand.

I do however refuse to buy any new spyderco fixed blade that has that freaking hole drilled on the blade.

I get that the hole is Spyderco's number one identifying trait but to me drilling that into perfecly good fixed blades ruins them. Not to mention all the gunk that gets inside there.

Never heard of anyone disliking Spyderco..maybe just not preferring. Could be the blade shape or spydie hole though. Love all of my Spydercos!

I suspect that people that hate Spyderco also hate cheese, bacon, springtime, finding 20 bucks on the sidewalk, cold beer, dogs, and other awesome things ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I didn't care for the looks of Spydercos. Not one bit!

Then I held one. Now I have a dozen of them.

They always looked weird to me, then I got one. I own several now, not all are my favorites and I'd be willing to part with some of them. But the ones I like, I really like (Manix 2 XL and Tenacious).

Really?...... Which Spyderco owner cares about the people that don't like Spyderco?

I suspect that people that hate Spyderco also hate cheese, bacon, springtime, finding 20 bucks on the sidewalk, cold beer, dogs, and other awesome things ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I love all those things except Spyderco.

Back