Why do people hate Spyderco?

Usually, who hates Spyderco don´t like the thumb hole.
For me is a trademark that gives you a very good and fair material. I think it´s an awesome cost and benefit relation.
I don´t think they´re overpriced (excluding some specials and sprint runs) but off course they´re not cheap. However the materials used to have a very good quality with a standard and nice finish.
Besides that they make a whole range of different options, with possibilities for "all kind of pockets".

I hate Spyderco because they are too loud and annoy my wife while I am constantly flipping one... sometimes two. Two is little more difficult while driving.

Blasphemy!!!! Really... your knife knut status might be revoked!! Its only the best Spydie there is

The Millies never spoke to me. That's not to say you are wrong - could be that there's more damage from the horse kick to the head I got at 7 years old than the doctors thought. If I buy one, it's only to give it a try b/c it's popular. Could also be that I have to see it in person before I can see its soul.

The Endura? Oh, yeah, the Endura spoke to me the very first time I saw it in person, and I bought it 17 years ago.

I am just busting your chops! That's why Spyderco is so great, there is a model for everyone

I didn't like the styling for many years. Got a pm2 inatrade. NowI amselling off most of my other knives and all I now collect is Spyderco. I'm up to 21 and counting.

It's the thumbhole. I tend to prefer thumb studs and flippers that don't need an assist spring. The hole is a great idea, but Spyderco puts one on _every_ folder. They've got a lot of good points and I understand the attraction, but the hole is just overdone.

Well, when it comes to food prep, especially with smaller knives, the hole seem little more sanitary then a stud. It is pretty easy to cut something and have the hole or the stud submerge into food stuff. Easier to clean your hole. Something about that doesn't sound right...

It's the thumbhole. I tend to prefer thumb studs and flippers that don't need an assist spring. The hole is a great idea, but Spyderco puts one on _every_ folder. They've got a lot of good points and I understand the attraction, but the hole is just overdone.

The hole is a trademark. It's a use it or loose it situation.

Tbh i dont hate spyderco they make great products and generally at a great price. HOWEVER, i hate their warranty service. Here is a small example. I had a Southard and had it shipped to them for warranty service because it wasnt flipping well. After they disassembled it the steel washers were bent and when i asked them to replace them they told that the washer come bent-bearings indent like that when they are new. I was like wth are you talking about trying to con me.

A second time had a blurple manix 2 that the lock was sooooooooo stiff that needed 2 hands to disengage (didnt know much then about adjusting and stuff plus was my first spydie). Sent it to them they told me that its supposed to be like that 2 handed disengaging they did losen it a bit and made it perfect but they charged me and the fact that they told me supposed to be like that was welll pheewwwww.

Even if all that wasnt the issue the fact that warranty is voided if u disassemble the knife to clean and maintain is besides me.

I would take Benchmade warranty any day of the week. They are second to none.

I agree with u 100% but gotta keep in mind its their trademark. If u see a knife with a hole like that u already know what it is.

Had the opposite result with warranty. Had blade rock on my Leafstorm. Sent it in, they fixed it, sharpened it, put in a note saying they liked seeing a knife that was used hard, and shipped it back with my fiver tucked under the clip.

I have tried a few Spydercos, and there is no question that their quality, fit & finish, etc., are excellent. They just aren't for me.
~Over the years I have gravitated toward studs over holes (and I used to prefer the Spyderhole).
~Also, since I am left-handed, linerlocks don't work for me unless it's a left-handed linerlock -- my only one is a Benchmade 812S-LH (left handed mini-AFCK).
~I tried the compression lock on a PM2 -- no go for me.
~I got mad at Benchmade when they did their MAP debacle that I tried my first Manix 2, hoping that I would like the CBBL enough to say "screw you, Benchmade!" I just don't like it, and both Manix 2 models I had left my house pretty quickly. The guy I sold it to loves it and puts it through it's paces on a regular basis. Now I buy used Benchmades only.
~The blade shapes just don't appeal to me very much. The Manix 2 has a blade that is longer than the Benchmade Presidio, but has a shorter cutting edge. WTH?? Not only that, but it takes up more pocket space than my Contego with a 4" blade!
~Their customer service could take a few cues from Benchmade. $8 for a pocket clip??? :eek:

In all, I don't hate Spyderco, but sure won't be buying any in the near future. However, it's fun on occasion to bust Spyderfans' chops for being such fanboys (of course, I do the same thing for Butterfly fanboys as well).

Why would someone not like them?

1. Maybe they haven't tried one? If you try a Spyderco then you understand what is great about them. If you try one and don't like it, maybe you aren't really a knife user.
2. Blades with the hole do take up more room in your pocket, but the hole is the fastest and most reliable way to open a knife short of a waved blade. I've tried all opening types, including assisted and automatic. The properly done hole such as on a PM2 or Manix 2 is consistently for me easier to open than anything else.
3. Spyderco knives are not as "pretty" as some of the other brands. Maybe some people buy their knives to look at rather than use.

I've owned a variety of knives. After I started buying Spyderco knives they have moved almost everything else out of my rotation.

I agree with u 100% but gotta keep in mind its their trademark. If u see a knife with a hole like that u already know what it is.

When I first bought my very first high-end folder it was a Mini-Griptillian with a hole. 😶

25 years ago or somewhere in that range, I did not care for spyderco. Not due to quality issues or anything like that, but due to something else. I really hate serrated edges, and frn scales. At the time it seemed that was all they were making, so I avoided them. A while back I noticed that they had moved away from so many designs with these features and started seriously looking at them. Bought a caly 3 in zdp for the ex and liked it so much I bought one for myself. Since then I have picked up 3 other spydercos. A rock salt ( rides in the car at all times ) a military in s90 and a yojimbo 2 in s90. The yojimbo is now the edc, in conjunction with what ever else I pick up on any given day, usually a frankenleek in s30 w/titanium scales, more 'people friendly'. That's my story, might shed some light, might not.

When I considered buying my first "real" folding knife a couple of years ago I didn't know anything about different steels, geometry, sharpening etc, but I googled a bit and ended up considering the benchmade adamas, pm2, manix and some others. I didn't like the pm2 or manix because they looked funny with the hole and the shape all over, the others looked more like regular knives.

Because of all the very positive reviews (literally all, couldnt find any negative reviews..) I narrowed it down to pm2 and manix, and ended up with the pm2, even though I still disn't like the way it looked. I didn't like it until I got it in the mail and started using it.

I dinged the blade at work, and the s30v forced me to expand my sharpening skills to.

After the pm2 I have bought a few Emersons, and gone back to Spyderco with an Endura, Assist and Tasman Salt SE (had to try a Spyderedge and a hawkbill blade).

The attention to details, the grinds on the blades, all the variations in shapes, lock, steels, handles etc and the "purposeness" of the knives is all I will ever need, and I can't see any reason anyone could hate them. I can understand if someone for different reasons just like other brands better, but everyone should at least try one before counting it out..

I lurk a lot on different forums, and see Sal answer directly to customers who have questions or needs help with warranty etc. This is another reason to like Spyderco. They seem like a stand up, goodguy company, and noone can hate that:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back