why do we keep getting different spyderco police versions without the original blade

what version would you buy

• full serrated

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • plain edge

Votes: 47 71.2%
  • combo

Votes: 8 12.1%

• Total voters
we keep getting different versions of the police, but without the iconic original blade. while the different newer versions of the police were all great on their own, i kept waiting for a version with the same blade as the original. is there just no way we can get an original serrated police blade with new frn handles or g10?

Im a fan of both the Military and the Police.

IMO the Police4 is the best of two worlds. Useful and practical blade with plenty of belly for many different tasks (compared to the original police blade configuration), sleek handle and a choice of tip up or tip down carry. The latter being something Military fans have wanted for years.

Sinece getting the Police 4 FRN from the knife dealer, its been one of my most used Spyderco folders. Its in my pocket right now and will be used for food prep later.

wCWtokO.jpg

iRPHY8P.jpg

i have the police 3 and frn police 4 and while they are both great, the blade shapes are very similar to the military like you said and also the flat ground endura. the original police blade with serrations and the small false double edge tip is very unique and is only found on the stainless steel police. ive been dying to see the original blade in different version handles for years, but we keep getting the same flat ground blades instead.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
The false double edge near the tip in your photo looks good but I must admit, that Im a fan of the full flat blades.
I dont do serrations.

I own 4 Police and 5 Millie variations but like these 3 vintage Police the best:

Nf1NsVfl.jpg

Note: I just realized that I actually need to search for another vintage PE Police withthe same markings as the PS & FS below. Collecting knives is a never ending process . . . LOL! ;)

BTW: My 4th Police is a Police 3. 3 of the Millies are a standard G10 PE S30V and two G10 DLC black; one PE and another rarer PS. The last 2 Millies are a plain Ti and the fluted Ti.

The fluted Ti is my favorite among the Millies. Hard to see in photos but the fluted Ti design on the Military just "pops" and looks much more impressive to me than on smaller knives like the Native (and I'm a collector of Natives too, just not the Ti fluted version). However, one of the Native variations that I owned is the S90V CF fluted that I like very much.

spc36tifp$01-spyderco-military-fluted-titanium-spc36tifp-01.jpg

Last edited:
For some models CQI is an adulteration not an improvement. FFG is the worst thing done to the Police model.
Quite the contrary IMO:) FF is an improvement. Now people have a sleek knife with a useful blade (for most mundane tasks) akin to the Military and the option of tip up carry. I dont use my Police4 FRN for any 'high speed, low drag*' tacticlol tasks but mostly for mundane tasks; breaking down cardboard, cutting cord and food prep during the day. The full flat blade with plenty of belly makes for an excellent steak and/or vegetable slicer for example.

Which jobs do you use your Police models for, which a full flat blade wont do, pls?

As always when people deal in absolutes ('worst thing ever'), it would be nice to know the background to the statement thrown out there. Not necessarily disputing your no doubt well thought out explanation to follow.

*Lets be realistic; most of us are not 'operators' nor LEO.

FF is an improvement. Now people have a sleek knife with a useful blade
What a rediculous assertion. Why is a knife not useful until it is FFG?

The full flat blade with plenty of belly makes for an excellent steak and/or vegetable slicer
Then buy models with those features. The Military and PM2 have always had those characteristics. Why does a veteran model have to be destroyed to make all knives vanilla?

What a rediculous assertion.
Lets go easy on the insults (or at least spell them correctly). Its the Spyderco sub after all. 'Shiny footprints' and all that.
Take a deep breath. Its not something for an adult to get riled up about - its just a knife. There are far more serious things happening out there.

Why is a knife not useful until it is FFG?
I believe, I covered my POV in regards to the usefulnes of the Police 4 in question in several posts above.

Then buy models with those features. The Military and PM2 have always had those characteristics.
I did; I got the Police 4. It has those features. As does the Military and PM2, as you state and of which I have several as well.

Why does a veteran model have to be destroyed to make all knives vanilla?
Again with the absolutes but no arguments. WHY does FF 'destroy' the Police model? Aesthetically or are there practical/functional reasons?
Last but not least, I repeat; Which tasks do you use your Police models for, which a full flat blade wont do, pls?

I want the P4 FRN in an upgraded steel please Sal! ZDP-189 in British racing green? K390 dark blue awesome! LC200N medium or dark gray would be amazing also or Salt yellow!

A bit of history. The first G-10 Police Model did indeed have the saber grind blade with swedge tip. It did not sell well. The second attempt used a full flat grind and sold a little better. Natural conclusion - old style blade pairs with SS handle, other handle materials sell better with full flat grind blades.

The classic SS/SE C07 Police is still available, and still has the saber grind swedge tip blade.

If the original is still for sale it must be selling then I would guess. Why not a G10/CF(no plastic or FRN)using the original style blade and liners. With some of the ridiculous knives they have come out with in the past this shouldn't be to much of a reach. Make a Sprint run to test the waters and send one to me for evaluation.:D

Maybe a sprint/special edition with a few knives in their original form as a package.

A Worker, a Police, a Mariner, a Hunter, an Executive, and a Harpy?

No problem. Put up the money for a 600 piece run of whatever you want and they'll get it right into the schedule.

They have done CF versions of the gen 2 Police in the past, but I don't know how well they sold being rather expensive. Ditto with titanium. The fact that they haven't done those again hints that either there were problems making them or they just didn't sell well.

Last edited:
The original Police model ( "PIG" version ) was created because the Law Enforcement Community had asked for a Mariner / Rescue model with a sharp tip. We responded to that request. As the model evolved, we made changes based on performance rather than appearance. In my opinion, the P4 is the most functional and to be honest, I designed the P4 primarily for high performance EDC despite its large size. I carry one quite a bit, and I just approved of a serrated K390 version.

I'm not opposed to making a run with the original saber / dagger grind and original shape. Since the model would be created more with appearance, what would you like to see? I thought about adding the "PIG" engraving, but decided against it. I would however would prefer to engrave something more specific like the "PIG", but haven't come up with anything yet.

Hey Jack, thanx much for the interest and support.

sal

If we're throwing out "wants", I'd like to see a rerun of the first G-10 model. No liners, inserts for the clip screws, dark blue G-10, serrated saber grind with swedge. I'd probably have to sell a kidney to pay for it, but that's why I have two, right?

The original Police model ( "PIG" version ) was created because the Law Enforcement Community had asked for a Mariner / Rescue model with a sharp tip. We responded to that request. As the model evolved, we made changes based on performance rather than appearance. In my opinion, the P4 is the most functional and to be honest, I designed the P4 primarily for high performance EDC despite its large size. I carry one quite a bit, and I just approved of a serrated K390 version.

I'm not opposed to making a run with the original saber / dagger grind and original shape. Since the model would be created more with appearance, what would you like to see? I thought about adding the "PIG" engraving, but decided against it. I would however would prefer to engrave something more specific like the "PIG", but haven't come up with anything yet.

Hey Jack, thanx much for the interest and support.

sal

hi sal, im a simple guy so i would be fine with vg10 blade and black g10 or frn handles.

If we're throwing out "wants", I'd like to see a rerun of the first G-10 model. No liners, inserts for the clip screws, dark blue G-10, serrated saber grind with swedge. I'd probably have to sell a kidney to pay for it, but that's why I have two, right?
"No problem. Put up the money for a 600 piece run of whatever you want and they'll get it right into the schedule."

Back