why do we keep getting different spyderco police versions without the original blade

what version would you buy

• full serrated

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • plain edge

Votes: 47 71.2%
  • combo

Votes: 8 12.1%

• Total voters
if some of you guys have wanted to try the stainless steel handle version of the police but just werent sure, i would recommend it. the ss version still makes a really good edc. the advantage of having ss handles is that the knife can be taken in and out of the pocket very easily. theres less friction compared to frn or g10. so for regular cutting tasks its great. the slim design also makes it easy to carry.

Last edited:
I’ve never been keen on stainless steel handles due to them getting slippery. They would be easier to engrave or etch though.

For a police model, I think some form of stainless blade makes the most sense because they may be exposed to the elements often. I’d like any of the stainless steels already used by Spyderco.

The SS Police I tend to carry inside my waistband where the smooth sides are an advantage (doesn't snag coming out or going back in, doesn't irritate skin or grind through clothing) so a stainless blade steel is a must for me in that platform. I love ATS-34, but it has rusted from my sweat on several knives, so I'd vote against it For SS handles. For textured I'd go to pocket carry, probably back pocket, so I have no problem with tool steel there. I do like the idea of carbon fiber, especially the peel-ply CF that was used on the Military sprints. I'd still like to see dark blue rather than black, and I don't know if that is possible with CF.

10V blade and black micarta handle scales.
A semi-stainless like 3V may be good to go. Micarta absorbs moisture a bit, so unless the liners are very resistant to rust, it may be problematic for police that carry in the rain often. Maybe micarta is stronger than I think, but I’m not sure that a slim folder can be made using only micarta and still be resistant to compression.

How about a frag pattern stainless or ti pattern where the lines are blue that way they are still metal handles just a constant quality improvement upgrade something like this 20200828_114451.png and 3v,4v, k390 blade should be good. Maybe do the engraving on the blade spine of the knife it would give the blade a clean look

How about a frag pattern stainless or ti pattern where the lines are blue that way they are still metal handles just a constant quality improvement upgrade something like this View attachment 1408096 and 3v,4v, k390 blade should be good. Maybe do the engraving on the blade spine of the knife it would give the blade a clean look
I can get behind that handle idea for sure! And engraving the spine is a cool idea as well. Thanks Sal for asking for input.

honestly, my intention with this thread wasnt to get a sprint run police that is too nice or too unique to use because i know its going to shoot up in price once is gone or be a sought after collectable. what i was really hoping for was if sal could just put that regular ss serrated police blade into the new frn police handle and offer it as a regular production model.

The regular blade from the SS model is quite a bit shorter than the P4 blade as well as being quite different in shape. Maybe they could do a P4 Sprint with a saber grind and swedge tip on the current blade shape, but either the swedge would have to be really short or the plunge would have to be exposed creating pocket eaters (exposed sharp corners).

As stated, Im a big fan of the Police 4 with the choice of tip up, its full flat blade and plenty of belly resembling the Military (big fan of that model as well) but would also buy a new Spyderco Police with a flat saber blade.
M4, 3V, ZDP or CruWear would be nice but Im not too picky; Id buy it in VG-10.
I have a titanium handle Military and its a favorite but when I then later bought a carbon fibre 52100, it instantly took over as a user, as its so light weight. I could live with stainless handles and FRN for that matter but carbon fibre scales would be fantastic.

As for features; I had the swedge and Boye dent of the the Police 3 added to my Police 4. Those are features, Id personally would like to see in future FF Police knives.

https://bladeforums.com/threads/police4-lightweight-and-a-few-mods.1735779/#post-19842384

2MdnKbh.jpg

k5CmqVU.jpg

lYillrL.jpg

G98VgL2.jpg

ELOF29J.jpg

Last edited:
You do a great job of it. I wouldn't have said anything if I thought nobody would hear me. Now with that out of the way:

Not sure if there's a better option than G10 even though Japanese G10 is expensive. If so do it. If not, blue G10. As for steel, this is being produced in Japan so what could be better than HAP40? Or kick it really old school and bring back some ATS-34!

Ats55**

Sal, do you have any steel preferences? I am in love with K390 but a good stainless option that we have not seen would be nice, too. What are you thinking?

My Vote (if I have one) +1 on micarta, it’s such a cool handle material (green please)
Steel , I’d say s110v.

The SS Police I tend to carry inside my waistband where the smooth sides are an advantage (doesn't snag coming out or going back in, doesn't irritate skin or grind through clothing) so a stainless blade steel is a must for me in that platform. I love ATS-34, but it has rusted from my sweat on several knives, so I'd vote against it For SS handles. For textured I'd go to pocket carry, probably back pocket, so I have no problem with tool steel there. I do like the idea of carbon fiber, especially the peel-ply CF that was used on the Military sprints. I'd still like to see dark blue rather than black, and I don't know if that is possible with CF.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Domino-Blue-Weave-Carbon--21554

I believe the blue weave CF should satisfy your desires yes? Imo the blue weave would be absolutrly spot on for a model like this.

Especially with "Protect and Serve" as the etching ;)

It's a bit lighter than what I had in mind, but it would certainly do if they can smuggle it in from Taiwan.

honestly, my intention with this thread wasnt to get a sprint run police that is too nice or too unique to use because i know its going to shoot up in price once is gone or be a sought after collectable. what i was really hoping for was if sal could just put that regular ss serrated police blade into the new frn police handle and offer it as a regular production model.

I agree. The flat ground blade w/o the swedged tip ain't a police. It's like the bastard child of a military and a calypso :)

The etch on a FRN Police model with original blade could be "Black lives matter to the Police." That'd be real 21st century.

Last edited:
Micarta scales would be very okay with me. If they had some checkering or other texture, then stainless would also be cool.

Back