Why do we love sheepfoot so much?

Kizer Cutlery

Follow us on Instagram: Kizer_inc
Why do we love Sheepfoot shape blade so much? What kind of charm does it have? Share your story of a sheepfoot knife~
微信截图_20200407150429.png
*The Kizer Friday was held successfully ;)and this is the exclusive limited edition CF mini sheepdog of it. Do you guys like it? Please let us know.
*Another Friday, The next discussion thread would be about defence. Have a nice weekend, take care and stay away from the crowd.
*BTW, next Kizer Friday club will be held at Instagram, 1st May, come and join us!:)

Last edited:
The blade has a nostalgia element and a true working pedigree that covers both land and sea broadly speaking.

I think it also is a tell that you are more than a casual knife user or a latest trend guy. Very few people outside of knife fanatics would know what the term even means - anyone who does know is part of the sub-culture.

I like it also because it looks non-aggressive and is hella useful design for many chores.

No knife maker but wouldn't the shape be one of the simplest to build????

The simplest possible build to yield the maximally useful blade - that is pure genius of economy like a physics formula.

Force is applied evenly across the entire edge. It's great for a lot of tasks. I also personally find the profile aesthetically pleasing.

I'm not a fan of the Sheepdog though, I consider that to be a cleaver blade not a sheepsfoot. It's too chunky.
Have to agree with lieferung lieferung , it’s on the chunky side. To me a sheepsfoot blade has a subtle sweep to the belly coming almost to a point, something that you can start a cut with but not pointy enough to stab.
I really like the scales on that sheepdog though, hopefully you will put those on other models.

I also love the sheepfoot and wharncliffe blade styles since I sharpen by hand and they are easier to sharpen compared to a clip or drop point.

I also agree with lieferung lieferung and woodysone woodysone . When the knife is closed, that is a wide knife. I prefer something not as wide.

I would be much more likely to carry a Kizer Degnan Guru. Sheepfoot and not as wide in the pocket.

Easier to make, easier to sharpen, easier to get the point to engage in some kinds of cuts, the flat edge won't slide out of a cut as easily as the belly of a spear point or drop point.

I think it's important to make the distinction between there being a large group of people who like a thing, and a small group which is very enthusiastic about a thing. I don't see a lot of them on here, and mass producers don't seem to give the design much love, leading me to believe that this is a small group/high enthusiasm situation.

I love a good sheepsfoot blade but, I question if the knife above qualifies.

Give me a blade with a slight belly and a point below blade centerline.

To me, only a few knives come to mind that meet that description.
First is a Sebenza 21 Insingo.
I would say it is closer to the “perfect” sheepsfoot blade than any other knife I have ever seen.
Second is a Spyderco D’Allara 3.
And third is a Benchmade Griptilian 550.

Somebody stated that the posted knife is more like a cleaver. I have to agree.

The modern man(doesn't need to hunt) don't need all that belly anymore. It was ment for skinning tasks and such I believe(?).

...The knife in the OP looks like it'd be very useful at any task you'd normally use a spatula for.

So, when you see a cook sliding a spatula sideways under some food, are they pretending that they are using this knife?

So, when you see a cook sliding a spatula sideways under some food, are they pretending that they are using this knife?
I think what Quiet Quiet was getting at is that this knife is not really a sheepsfoot. He chose to liken it to a spatula, while you agreed it was more like a cleaver.
The blade is quite wide and the shape is off as far as a true sheepsfoot goes IMO.

The way I see it, the existence of the sheepsfoot made the blister pack possible. Do you think industry would have ever adopted this otherwise impenetrable means of packaging goods for sale without a readily available means to defeat it?

Conversely, the introduction of the blister pack pretty much made the sheepsfoot. Prior to the blister pack, the sheepsfoot was just one of a wide array of utility blades. After the blister pack it became essential.

Cause it looks like something a lady of the evening would carry in her brassiere? ;)

But seriously, I am intrigued but these and thinking of buying one of these types of blades. I imagine that for anybody that has to do a lot of cutting of thin materials its very handy, more usable blade, less chance of snapping the point or stabbing yourself. Shipping / warehouse inventory guys know what I mean. Probably great for roughing out when whitling...can always use my drop point folder for detail work.

That's not a real sheep's foot ( edge must be straight ) but I love a sheep's foot blade for utility.

When carrying a stockman I love the sheep's foot blade for cutting leather, cardboard, carving on wood.
Lots of things where the position of the " tip " is beneficial.

Back