Why does Case get a pass on "surgical steel?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are looking for traditional knives with more modern materials, there is an emerging market for these and popularity is growing. Check out LionSteel. I just got a barlow made of titanium with m390.

A nicely made Case is about as beautiful a knife as you can buy. The fact that is a functional knife, and a damn fine cutter, is all the better. Takes a nice edge and is easy to sharpen. It’s never going to be a Benchmade or Spyderco, but it’s also not trying to be.

I think they are a damn fine bargain for a US made knife in a traditional pattern. Now they do occasionally let out some stinkers, but so does every other manufacturer.
I'm fine that they aren't a benchmade, it just seems that being what they are, they shouldn't cost as much as benchmade, that's the original point I made. Yes I know there are cheaper cases, but then you end up with an inferior knife that is also pretty ugly. Yellow resin handles aren't a significant draw. And you still pay 30 for that.

It boils down to >> if you like and want traditional knives, Case makes a pretty good knife overall. I think GEC makes a better traditional slip joint at generally a higher price point. LionSteel is making some now in more modern steels and folks like them. Spyderco and locking is a completely different market as compared to a traditional Case knife. Get what you like and don't condemn folk's choices who like traditional pocket knives. I like them myself.

I learned to never depend on a locking knife to lock securely. Never.

Ive seen plenty of vintage 50+ year old Case knives still cutting stuff today
Ive seen plenty of vintage 50+ year old Case knives still cutting stuff today
I didnt mean in terms of years of use, though a spyderco will last as long, any knife will probably will with proper care. I'm talking about how long it between sharpenings. The working edge if you will. And I bet you will agree a spyderco will hold that much longer. I'm not saying the case won't cut, I'm saying the spyderco is superior to it. And runs similar prices to a lot of case knives.

It boils down to >> if you like and want traditional knives, Case makes a pretty good knife overall. I think GEC makes a better traditional slip joint at generally a higher price point. LionSteel is making some now in more modern steels and folks like them. Spyderco and locking is a completely different market as compared to a traditional Case knife. Get what you like and don't condemn folk's choices who like traditional pocket knives. I like them myself.

I learned to never depend on a locking knife to lock securely. Never.
I originally said that the spyderco was as cheap and better than case. I didn't throw off on anyone's choices til they got snarky with me. If you would rather have a case than spyderco, that's great. I'm sure it will pretty.

I didnt mean in terms of years of use, though a spyderco will last as long, any knife will probably will with proper care. I'm talking about how long it between sharpenings. The working edge if you will. And I bet you will agree a spyderco will hold that much longer. I'm not saying the case won't cut, I'm saying the spyderco is superior to it. And runs similar prices to a lot of case knives.

but the trapper has a second blade

But in the end that's not the point nor is edge retention, if you want a traditional knife a delica isn't on your radar whether you believe it's a better value or not

I think you missed his point. Spyderco doesn’t make a Trapper pattern and likely never will. So if you want that type of knife, you won’t be shopping Spyderco. Give one a try and I bet it will do what you want it to do. Unless you are batoning through logs, or stabbing through steel plate.
I never once said the case wouldn't cut. Please dont imply that I did. I simply said for the price a 65 dollar delica is superior to a case knife in all ways, except maybe looks of the handle. Which, I mean, if I wanted to collect art, I would collect art. But I think functionality is beautiful. And spidey definitely wins that.

...If you would rather have a case than spyderco, that's great. I'm sure it will pretty.
I like both personally. Spyderco makes a pretty good knife. I own a number of them. I like variety. My regular carry is a Victorinox Small Tinker which obviously does not have a lock. I believe it cost something like $22. I often will carry a modern knife as well such as a Spyderco or Benchmade, but I find that I don't generally need two knives or a locking knife for that matter. I like choices.

but the trapper has a second blade

But in the end that's not the point nor is edge retention, if you want a traditional knife a delica isn't on your radar whether you believe it's a better value or not
Well that's true, but, value is partly determined by materials, and the case blade doesn't measure up. But I agree, if a traditional is what you want you should get it. But don't tell me it's in the same class as the spidey in terms of materials. And the spidey will cost roughly the same as a nice looking case.

I like both personally. Spyderco makes a pretty good knife. I own a number of them. I like variety. My regular carry is a Victorinox Small Tinker which obviously does not have a lock. I believe it cost something like $22. I often will carry a modern knife as well such as a Spyderco or Benchmade, but I find that I don't generally need two knives or a locking knife for that matter. I like choices.
Nobody said you couldn't have choices. I said the spidey was a better value. That's it. People keep telling me it's about choice. No shit. That wasn't what the discussion was about originally, though.it was about value.

More than anything, it's the labor. Most of the slip joints are essentially hand made. The blades are cut out, but the finishing is all by hand as well as the fitting. There really aren't many Case knives that cost $100 now. GEC's are a different story as is the overall quality of the product often exceeds something made by Case.

If you want an inexpensive but pretty good slip joint knife, look at Rough Ryder knives.
See, that was the most helpful reply. You gave a justification for the cost of a case. Hand made will be invariably more expensive. But, in my opinion, handmade doesn't necessarily mean better. Especially if the heart of the knife(the blade) isn't as good as what you are comparing it to.

Comparing a locking single blade plastic handle knife to, multiple bladed traditional old fashioned slip joints. It just doesn't make sense. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Nobody said you couldn't have choices. I said the spidey was a better value. That's it. People keep telling me it's about choice. No shit. That wasn't what the discussion was about originally, though.it was about value.
On the value department, I would put up my Vic Small Tinker against any Spyderco. Case knives generally cost more. I tend to buy GEC stuff now over Case, but I did buy a Case slip joint last weekend at a knife show. Oh... bought a GEC two blade #14 as well.....

Let's do it, I'll give you a week to get your Spyderco made VG-10 full sized trapper.
So you want me to trade a modern knife with modern ergonomics and a superior blade and modern blade geometry and a lock for a TRAPPER? Because it's a TRAPPER? Are you even being serious? Spyderco doesn't make a trapper, and for good reason.

Comparing a locking single blade plastic handle knife to, multiple bladed traditional old fashioned slip joints. It just doesn't make sense. It's like comparing apples to oranges.
Oh bull. You can decide which one is a better value based solely on the materials if nothing else. I can compare vg10 to 420 hc. You want to see which is the better value, if they are both the same price?

I never once said the case wouldn't cut. Please dont imply that I did. I simply said for the price a 65 dollar delica is superior to a case knife in all ways, except maybe looks of the handle. Which, I mean, if I wanted to collect art, I would collect art. But I think functionality is beautiful. And spidey definitely wins that.
I never said that you did. I simply said they do cut and you should try one and see if you like it.

As Jill said, it is an apples and oranges comparison. I don't really consider most modern knives superior to a good slip joint. They're just different.

The Trapper pattern is very popular by the way and probably the biggest seller. Boker makes a modern knife that they call the "Urban Trapper" and I own one. It's even in VG-10..... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back