Why does cleaning knives devalue them?

Does it devalue an old thread to bring it back after nine years and put it to use? Shouldn't it be left in its original historically correct state rather than dusting it off and putting it back to use?

Taken from the guidelines.

Thread "necromancy" is frowned upon. Please do not resurrect dormant threads simply to say "nice knife" or the like.
If you have something substantive to add to the discussion then by all means do so, otherwise move on and let sleeping dogs lie.

I think the OP met the requirement.

Taken from the guidelines.

I think the OP met the requirement.

Does it devalue an old thread to bring it back after nine years and put it to use? Shouldn't it be left in its original historically correct state rather than dusting it off and putting it back to use?
I do appreciate the input. I am having trouble posting pictures as I do not know how to do it.

I do appreciate the input. I am having trouble posting pictures as I do not know how to do it.

A lot of members use imgur. On a PC, Upload your images, select an image, select/copy the BBCode and paste it in the BF text box.
It's a bit more complicated on a smartphone. I use an Android phone. Upload your images, tap the thumbnail image, press and hold on the expanded image, select "Share Direct Link", select copy to clipboard. Go back to the BF textbox and select the picture icon, paste the direct link there and you'll get your image.
I find the easiest is uploading images from my phone and doing the posting from my PC.
Hope that helps. If you have questions just send a profile post and I'll try and help.

I have an old Randall knife with the engraving SPFLD, Mass (with two scimitars) on the blade. I believe it is a knife from the WWII era. This beauty has a lot of issues. It has rust on the blade, no handle and the bar portion of the handle is slightly bent. I realize in reading the thread that most knives should not be restored but what about my knife?

Is there some way to find out how the knife was damaged? It may be possible that this knife in its current condition is a battlefield relic, and the damage reflects its condition as it appeared after military use. Is there any way to discover the prior ownership of the knife? If the story of how it was damaged can be discovered, it may be of historical interest, at least to the family of the military user.

When he passed, my father left me a Kingston scout knife that was carried by his uncle in Normandy and was documented as part of his returned personal items. The knife is quite rusty and has a broken bone scale on one side, and there are traces of dried mud in it, reflecting the state in which it returned when Uncle Walter was killed. As it is, it documents the conditions of the time and place in which it was recovered. If it was restored, it would be just another generic war time utility knife.

The knife may also be of interest to a military collector as a battlefield relic if such a connection can be demonstrated.

2wrghv7.jpg

Ok ,here goes. I found this old case today,thing is its pretty hammered,literally. While it don't show in the pic the bolsters have either been used as a hammer or been tightened by a hammer. Somebody's been on the blade with a bench grinder, thankfully not bad. But enough to get the bevels wonky. One part of the covers has splintered a tiny bit, and a bit of liner shows. The collector value is pretty much shot already. IF this was something I inherited, I would leave as is and put it up safe. But as a find, I plan on a little refurbishment. BUT AFTER I look up the tang stamps. But I think it dates to the 70's. If its not that old I plan on even the bevels, use some 220 grit to smooth the bolsters a bit. I want to keep its character, but make it a good user again. Snaps open good, half stop is good closes spongy. It's pretty grungy tho. Any thoughts on this project would be appreciated.:):thumbsup:

2wrghv7.jpg

Ok ,here goes. I found this old case today,thing is its pretty hammered,literally. While it don't show in the pic the bolsters have either been used as a hammer or been tightened by a hammer. Somebody's been on the blade with a bench grinder, thankfully not bad. But enough to get the bevels wonky. One part of the covers has splintered a tiny bit, and a bit of liner shows. The collector value is pretty much shot already. IF this was something I inherited, I would leave as is and put it up safe. But as a find, I plan on a little refurbishment. BUT AFTER I look up the tang stamps. But I think it dates to the 70's. If its not that old I plan on even the bevels, use some 220 grit to smooth the bolsters a bit. I want to keep its character, but make it a good user again. Snaps open good, half stop is good closes spongy. It's pretty grungy tho. Any thoughts on this project would be appreciated.:):thumbsup:
Looks like a great project knife, regardless of the year. Get it in satisfactory condition, sharpen it up, and enjoy it. I'll be looking forward to to seeing some future pics. -Lance

... I realize in reading the thread that most knives should not be restored but what about my knife? Can anyone offer advice?...

You can either have an early Randall in poor condition, or a newly made Frankenstein knife. I would rather mount what is left of the Randall in a wall frame and buy or make a new knife. You cannot restore what is no longer there, you can only damage it further.

N2s

Back