why does it feel like my knife is getting more dull everytime i try to sharpen it

hey so im new to like the pocket knife thing and i recently bought a CRTK m16 o1s for my self as it was pretty cheap and looked good so ive had it for like 3 weeks now and its pretty dull so i try to sharpen it after i look some videos up like i tried a nail buffer shit like that but i dont wanna sink like another 20 bucks into a whetstone,so any tips and tricks???

With sharpening the key is consistency. If you are hitting different angles on different parts of the blade you are not going to get results.
If you wan't to get the most out of this hobby spend the cash on a decent sharpening system before you buy a whole bunch of knives lol. If you feel like you have the skill buy a whetstone. If not for people like myself a guided system is a life saver.

Like others have mentioned, a consistent angle is key. Sandpaper is a cheap way to sharpen a knife. If you have an old piece of glass you can lay the sandpaper on top of it and use it like a stone. You can buy a multipack with different grits at an auto parts store. I tell people who are new to sharpening to slide the knife across the stone as is if trying to shave off a paper thin veneer. If using sandpaper dont use too much pressure or you can slice into the paper. Find your self an old leather belt at a thrift store, glue it to a chunk of wood and you have a make shift strop. Practice makes perfect, the more you do it the more it will make sense. Good luck.

With sharpening the key is consistency. If you are hitting different angles on different parts of the blade you are not going to get results.
If you wan't to get the most out of this hobby spend the cash on a decent sharpening system before you buy a whole bunch of knives lol. If you feel like you have the skill buy a whetstone. If not for people like myself a guided system is a life saver.
I agree. You're prolly inadvertently changing the sharpening angle without realizing it. This can be done...in time.
You could start with finding out what particular grind your knife came with and then get on YT and research how to sharpen/maintain that particular grind. Be it saber, FFG or scandi.
OR...get a course diamond stone or belt sander and change the grind to whatever you want it to be.

Last edited:
i dont wanna sink like another 20 bucks into a whetstone,so any tips and tricks???
Yes.
Don't sink twenty bucks into a wet stone.
Invest about $250 in an Edge Pro Apex sharpener and grin like a sonofagun.
. . . or keep on with the economy stuff and hope, wish and frown.

Trust me on that.
IMG_5497.jpg
IMG_3769_2.jpg
IMG_5150.jpg

IMG_5257.JPG

The stickies above have a lot of great information. Also use a sharpie to mark your bevel then sharpen and look at your edge. It also helped me whin I bought a jewelry loop to magnify the edge when I look at it.

If you want a sharp blade, and you want to be able to sharpen it yourself then you are going to spend some money for sharpening equipment.

Sandpaper works, I’m less convinced about the effort vs reward of the bottom of a coffee cup.

I’d recommend buying a stone, you will always have knives to sharpen even if it’s just in the kitchen.

You could rub a knife on a stone for the rest of the year and get nowhere near a sharp edge if you don’t know the theory (technique will come with practise). As others have suggested - read the great stickies in this forum as a starter for 10.

Oh and to answer the question in the title of this thread: because it probably is, as per my point immediately above.

hey so im new to like the pocket knife thing and i recently bought a CRTK m16 o1s for my self as it was pretty cheap and looked good so ive had it for like 3 weeks now and its pretty dull so i try to sharpen it after i look some videos up like i tried a nail buffer shit like that but i dont wanna sink like another 20 bucks into a whetstone,so any tips and tricks???

If the nail buffer is one of those with a softish backing (foam, etc), it'll likely round the edge too much, as the soft backing allows the abrasive to wrap around the apex. Secondarily, if the factory edge & blade grind were relatively thick, then the rounding effect of the soft nail buffer will be even worse.

Most factory knives, especially modern types (tactical, etc) like the CRKT have thick grinds and pretty obtuse edge angles. To get them cutting better, they'll almost always need some thinning behind the edge and shaping to a more acute edge angle (30-35° inclusive is a good start). A good stone appropriate to the steel type is necessary for this, and will always be the best investment for the sake of the knife. $20 can buy a pretty good stone for work like this, and should be an easy investment. Something like a combination C/F SiC stone (silicon carbide), like Norton's Crystolon can be had for near that budget, around $25 or so, for an 8" bench stone. The 'Fine' side of that stone could be used for maintenance afterward, or you could also invest in something like a Norton 'Fine' India stone (in aluminum oxide) to refine the edge further. Both of these suggested stones work best when used with mineral oil.

And no matter what stones you have, maintaining a steady angle during sharpening will always be paramount to getting good results. Practice with inexpensive knives (kitchen knives, etc) on a good stone as suggested above, to get the feel for it, before trying it with your better knives.

Last edited:
Been there, did that (a couple of times).
For decades.
Oh . . . looooook STROPS ! ! ! !
Sucks.
E. P. A. ;)
Everyone progresses at different rates.

I rarely mess with strops. Got some 1 micron diamond paste I've had for 35 years. There's about 5 grams left of a 15 gram syringe, it's been mostly used for gun parts.

Back