Why doesn't Spyderco replace blades?

I sent an email to Spyderco recently inquiring about a blade replacement for one of my knives.

I figured it would be no biggie, I've paid to have blades replaced by other companies several times before. It's actually a really nice service to have available.

Just received an email saying that as a policy, Spyderco doesn't replace blades. The email also pointed to me to the Spyderco's Warranty page, where it says they are "unable to replace blades."

I'm curious as to why this is. My first thought is that it might be some kind of issue Spyderco has had in the past with buyers asking to have blades replaced. My other thought was that it might have something to do with lock tolerances.

Not trying to incite a riot! Honestly curious as to why. :eek:

I'm not sure if you mean:

A. You send the knife to them and they replace the blade

or

B. They send another blade to you and you replace it.

I can't imagine why they would have a problem with A. if you are prepared to pay for it.

I can, however, see why they might be reluctant to do B., even if you paid for it.

A. Replace the blade on the knife if I mailed it in and paid for the new blade.

I too can understand why they wouldn't want to sell just blades.

All the blades I've had replaced have been done in-house after mailing the knife back to the company. One of the companies actually sent back both the new blade I bought and they installed, plus the beat up blade they replaced.

Most likely it's a business equation. It's not as cost/time productive as a new knife. They have a very, very small operation and it's always backlogged as it is.
Fitting hast to be done by a skilled knifemaker. There is no "drop in" part in this style knife.
Of course I'm just guessing. I haven't the first clue. Joe

They do replace blades, $20.00 I believe, if it's broken or damaged beyond repair . In another few hours one of the Spydie regulars should drop in and offer advice. I'm assuming at this point that either: a.) whoever sent you the email was talking outta their @ss,, b.) Spyderco changed their policy, or c.) when you originally contacted Spyderco you asked for a replacement blade just to have, not as a result of the current blade being damaged or broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
screwthe49ers said:
They do replace blades, $20.00 I believe, if it's broken or damaged beyond repair .

Blade repairs/reprofiling - yes; full-blown blade replacement - no.

I don't know if this is 100% true or not but I have heard this stated by 2 different people who are also knife enthusiasts who I regard as being good, credible people ( who don't even know each other).

I have heard from both of them that Spyderco and probably any other knife company for that matter has to make each blade to be compatible with the locking mechanism to be used with that particular blade. In other words each blade is made to custom fit each lock to the closest tolerances possible. It's as though each blade fits up with whichever type of lock to the tolerance of a gnat's eyebrow ( or better).

Again I don't know that to be actual fact but it does make sense when you think about it. And it may not be true with every locking system but there are some locking systems that are very tight, precise fits.

Also like the one brother pointed out I seriously doubt if there would be much profit in selling replacement blades. The company would probaby be stuck with dozens of them.

But when you have blades with well defined points you just have to be very careful. They are knives; they are not screwdrivers. You use a knife for what it's designed to be used for.

I don't even know if it'd be a profit thing. Knowing how Sal & Co. run it's probably not. I know a lot of their knives are made in Seki (VG-10). Standard S30V models (Military, Para, Chinook, etc) are made in Golden. It could just be policy to not replace blades. The Seki factory might not be able to replace them, or something along those lines.

Also, keep in mind that Spyderco has manufacturing facilities in at least 4 countries, plus has had knives made by Klotzli and Fox in Switzerland and Italy. Models made in a certain country tend to use a steel that is easily available there. It would be a serious cost to have all of those manufacturing facilities run an extra batch of blades and then ship them to Colorado. Then they would have to be organized and stored. All of that on top of the cost of paying an employee to hand fit them. I can ee why, from a business standpoint, Spyderco doesn't replace blades.

I'm certain that with the backlogging and various factories and production facilities in numerous countries, this service couldn't be a top priority.

One more little factor to consider is Spyderco's policy of ongoing incremental improvements. A blade from last year's production may not fit the same model from this year's production. If Sal was content to rest on his laurels, it might be feasible to warehouse blades for all the hundred plus models he has produced (yeah, right :rolleyes:) but in reality it would be more like warehousing blades for thousands of different models. The alternative is custom making a new blade for each broken knife that comes in. Replacing the whole knife would be much more cost effective.

The heart of industrial manufacturing is the ability to make parts to tight sepcifications that allow them to be used in any and all versions of a particular model. This concept was developed in New England hundreds of years ago. You can pretty much replace any part of most factory knives, even those pinned together.

For Spyderco it's a matter of stocking the spare parts and providing the service personnel to make the repairs. That costs money in many ways. Money that Spyderco is unwilling to invest in customer service. Spyderco has actually restricted their warranty and repair service in the last 10 years, probably due to profit margins. Bringing kids into a family business can be expensive. :)

I know personally that Case and Benchmade will replace blades. Last year someone I know broke the tip on a Benchmade that's been out of production for about 10 years and Benchmade replaced the blade for $20. However, I'll bet Benchmade doesn't stock parts or provide the same services for their cheap line of knives equivalent to Byrds.

The heart of industrial manufacturing is the ability to make parts to tight sepcifications that allow them to be used in any and all versions of a particular model. This concept was developed in New England hundreds of years ago. You can pretty much replace any part of most factory knives, even those pinned together.

For Spyderco it's a matter of stocking the spare parts and providing the service personnel to make the repairs. That costs money in many ways. Money that Spyderco is unwilling to invest in customer service. Spyderco has actually restricted their warranty and repair service in the last 10 years, probably due to profit margins. Bringing kids into a family business can be expensive. :)

I know personally that Case and Benchmade will replace blades. Last year someone I know broke the tip on a Benchmade that's been out of production for about 10 years and Benchmade replaced the blade for $20. However, I'll bet Benchmade doesn't stock parts or provide the same services for their cheap line of knives equivalent to Byrds.

Hey Brownstain. Why not just quit posting in Spyderco treads. You never have anything good to say. Leave us Spyderco lovers alone.

Hey Brownstain. Why not just quit posting in Spyderco treads. You never have anything good to say. Leave us Spyderco lovers alone.

I second that motion.

You're creating a poster boy out of a company that voids your warranty if you take the knife apart. :rolleyes:

Its simple...

Spyderco doesnt replace blades because they dont have any. The VG10 knives are contracted out to other manufactureres to create the knife. So they would not have any blades on hand at Golden. The ones made in America are designated to be made into knives, not to be stored around and wait for somebody to ask for a replacement.

But when you have blades with well defined points you just have to be very careful. They are knives; they are not screwdrivers. You use a knife for what it's designed to be used for.

That's not why I wanted to pay for a replacement blade. I have no idea why you'd assume it was.

Its simple...

Spyderco doesnt replace blades because they dont have any. The VG10 knives are contracted out to other manufactureres to create the knife. So they would not have any blades on hand at Golden. The ones made in America are designated to be made into knives, not to be stored around and wait for somebody to ask for a replacement.

Again, I wanted to purchase a replacement, not get something for nothing. Other companies offer this service, and stock the replacement parts. I didn't realize that Spyderco was as compact of an operation as it apparently is.

I don't get the balking at the question I've seen from a few people, as if my wanting to pay to have a blade replaced is outlandishly selfish.

Spyderco's products are so well made, and their appearance as a company is professional to the point that I had no idea how small of an operation they apparently are.

I didn't realize that Spyderco was as compact of an operation as it apparently is.

Last I heard there was only thirty something company employees. Quite a few wear multiple hats and are quite versatile, ie: Kristi. Basicly a small family company that has had an impact way out of proportion to it's size. Very commendable if you want my opinion.

BTW, How does brownshoe do it? He circles for just the right opportunity, then jumps. Kind of like a buzzard, or vulture. Then he's gone again to wherever brownshoe goes..... Joe

BTW, How does brownshoe do it? He circles for just the right opportunity, then jumps. Kind of like a buzzard, or vulture. Then he's gone again to wherever brownshoe goes..... Joe

Rather a sad existence really. The life of a bitter person who searches the forums not for new information or interesting topics, much like the rest of us. But rather, sits searching, waiting for the opportunity to throw feces dressed up as roses.

One more little factor to consider is Spyderco's policy of ongoing incremental improvements. A blade from last year's production may not fit the same model from this year's production. If Sal was content to rest on his laurels, it might be feasible to warehouse blades for all the hundred plus models he has produced (yeah, right :rolleyes:) but in reality it would be more like warehousing blades for thousands of different models. The alternative is custom making a new blade for each broken knife that comes in. Replacing the whole knife would be much more cost effective.
Think that sums it up about as well as it can be summed up.

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website - - - - - - A Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting - - - - - - Kiwimania
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
Spyderco Collector # 043 - - WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twsited up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

Dude, I'm a spyderco lover and that is a legitimate argument. When you pay a few hundred dollars for a knife, it's nice to know that if you get a little aggressive and damage the blade that you can start over. I appreciate benchmade's policy on this. I love spyderco but honestly I think this policy really sucks. All other knife makers I know do it. Hell, Chris Reeve even does it. It's part of what you buy in when you buy a knife knowing the manufacture can always make it right even if I have to pay a few dollars ($20 for benchmade) to pretty much get a new knife.

Back